Music is important to millions of billions of People around the world. With advances in technology’s and how portable and accessible music is people now listen to music in some cases for their entire day. Whether their working out, walking, taking the bus, playing a sport or even doing work at school or in their jobs. So obviously music is a pretty big deal to a lot of people. Luckily this weeks SBC topic is music! 

Music is created by many things these days from good old singing to modern electronic tools. Personally though, my favourite music making thing is the drums. Drums are what set the beat, build up the tempo and are really the base for any good song, in my opinion at least. Drum shave been used to make music since as early as 6000 BC. The first drums were found in excavations in china and were thought to be made out of alligator skins stretched around a cylinder from. Drums were mostly used for music until 500 BC when the people of Sri Lanka and Africa used drums as a means of communication over distance.

African instruments including drums

In 1450 medieval percussion instruments are the basis of what our modern day drum sets are. 2000 the first electronic generated drums become popular with bands. That’s was a brief history of drums through the ages. As you can see they have gone through many different uses in their lifetime but where are they today? Well as you read electronic drum sets are being used these days and what they allow is access to all the different types of drum sets without actually having to own them all. Their are also hundreds of different variants of drum sets to buy today, rock drums, jazz drums, auxiliary drum sets, bongos and many more. All of these types of drums are different in their own ways and are what make our favourite songs possible. 

Now that we now a bit more about drums and their history lets talk about a famous band who uses drums, other instruments and their voices to make some very unique songs. The British rock band queen started in 1970. They had their lead singer which was who made the band famous, Freddie mercury. He had a nearly unheard of four octave vocal. This meant that he could change from really high pitch singing to deep baritone singing quickly and many people loved that. Along with his amazing voice Freddie also had a different if not amazing stage presence. He would wear crazy outfits and do strange dances and this really superheated him and his band from all the other rock bands of the times. Sadly he died at the age of 45 in 1991. He had AIDS and as a result died of bronchopneumonia. The rest of the original line up for the band consisted of Brian may (lead guitar and vocals), roger Taylor (drums and vocals) and john deacon (bass guitar). Over all queen is definitely one of my favourite bands to listen to and if you haven’t you should go listen to one of their songs (I recommend don’t stop me now).

Freddie Mercury

So now you’ve learned about one of my favourite bands, but I’m curious. Drums may be my favourite instrument and queen may be a band I love, but what do you think? Answer this survey to let me know what you think is the best instrument and a few other music questions: 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScPIgZtkByzxoyqf20x5MqGk6ACMGk5K4zQwMIQdklFRmfFeQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

That concludes week 5 of the SBC for me! Good luck with your posts fellow bloggers and as always more posts are always appearing on my blog all the time so stay tuned.