Cunning Crucible Part 1

Plays.

Speaking of plays, me and my class are currently reading through a play entitled The Crucible. The Crucible is a historical fiction piece written in 1953 by Arthur Miller.

This play shows a fictionalized story from Salem Massachusetts during the 1692-1693 witch trials. The Crucible was first preformed on broadway at the Martin Beck Theatre on January 22, 1953.

Every week, my class and I will read one act from the play. We then will write a blog post which answers a question relating to the play. In this post we also needed to create something that represents our opinions. I chose to describe my concept of Hell.

First off, I’d like to point out that concept isn’t the same as belief. I, myself, am an atheist which means I don’t believe in religion. This, however does not mean I don’t have my own concept of Hell. In fact, due to my area of birth and residence (Canada), my concept of Hell is that of the Hell depicted in the Christian bible. This is a place absent of God in which Lucifer, or Satan, and his angels dwell. My concept also includes Matthew 13:40-42 “As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;  And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” This essentially means that Hell and Heaven will remain empty until Judgment Day.

To show what this would look like I drew up a satirical interpretation of what my concept of Hell would look like.