So recently in PLP we had our Winter Exhibition. Although we had a completely different project to do for it then we have done the past 2 years. Instead of doing a Blue Sky project we were tasked with recording stories on the exhibition night in order to create a podcast. This podcast would be created from an interview with someone who was visiting the exhibition. The goal was to try and get an interesting story from them.

A couple weeks before the exhibition we were given a chance to practice interviewing people. We had to make a podcast interviewing a grade 12, and one of our family members. This grade 12 student we were assigned would also be important again later on at the exhibition.

My grade 12 student was Nolan. He was very into the idea of being interviewed as he had this one story he always likes to tell. It was about the time he was in a car crash and broke his hand. However Ms. Willemse would not let him tell this story because everyone had already heard it. So I ended up interviewing him about his childhood in Calgary. Here’s the podcast:

The next podcast we had to make was interviewing a family member. At this time my grandpa was going through the end stage of cancer. I originally wanted to interview him but I felt he didn’t really have enough strength in him to complete the interview. Instead I asked my Mom questions about when he was diagnosed and some more recent questions about his journey with cancer. Right after the interview my grandpa was hospitalized and sadly he passed away just after Christmas. This podcast feels very important to my family given everything we have been through over the last couple of months. Here’s the podcast:

It was then the PLP Exhibition night. My grade 12 (Nolan) was able to find me 3 good candidates for interviews pretty quickly. I first interviewed a non PLP grade 12 named Michael. The interview with him was good but there was no real story to it, so I sent Nolan out to find more people. The next person he came back with was a Peruvian Lady who is the Mom of one of my classmates. I asked her a bit about her childhood and some of the adjustments she made in moving and living in Canada. The last interview I got was with a couple who were just over 20 years old. They had been together for a few years but had been friends from kindergarten. In the end I decided to use the Peruvian interview for my podcast. Here is my first draft:

For feedback I was told to cut a thing or two and mainly just try to find the hidden message in the story. So here’s my second draft:

For the last bit of feedback, I was still told to try and find more of a story, and also that the whole thing was just a bit jumpy. So I cut a few more sections and rearranged the interview. I also altered my questions in order to frame the narrative in order to really turn it more into a story. Here’s the final draft: