Hey guys. Looking at the title, you may not know what this is. Here a hint: I’m a huge nerd about this. Of course, I’m talking about STARWARS! YEAH! Let’s get into it. At the time we had another starwars project going on (more about that in an upcoming blogpost) so my mind had defaulted from brainless mode to nerd mode.

Alright. So at the begging, we learnt about triangles. Specifically right angle triangles. Specifically, how to calculate their length. We do this we the Pythagorean’s theorum, using a specific fromula. A2 + B2 = C2. Then we went on learn about lasers, angles of refraction, etc. Then we combined the two into a unique & brand new project. Forming a laser right angle path on a starwars prop. For example, we built and Xwing that had a laser path on it’s wing that was positioned to shoot a laser out of its tip.

Now let’s talk about the competencies that’s we were accessed on and how I showed them.

Applying & innovating

On this project, you demonstrated (or didn't demonstrate) CARE for yourself, others and the community by using class time efficiently for learning/project work without distractions. Your use of class time dramatically affects the learning and social/emotional health of your group members, the rest of the class, and me. We contributed to the community by running an amazing exhibition promotes learning, curiosity, and art.

This competency is about contributing to your team. See, we were set in teams to build our laser displays. I had a team of three, but most people were in groups of four or five. Many people throughout history have described advanced specialized units as a single organism, and that’s the purpose of this competency. A group is like a pack with not alpha and no beta. All equal. We needed to contribute equally. In my case, the work needed to be divided equally into three parts. My group had showed this competency really well. There were a couple of times when once person pulled their weight more then the others, and we had semi communication problems. I showed this by helping to build our laser maze and paint it, as well a bringing many supplies.

Another part of this competency comes when you interact with other groups. There are two ways this can happen. One of those ways is helping other groups. This could not be too big, but for example you could help another group carry their maze out for painting or share your supplies with them. I showed this a couple times by sharing our extra supplies.

You could also get in other peoples way. That’s not a good thing. I often had to restrain myself from going and talking to my friends. It’s hard to stay on task when your only task is waiting for the spray paint to dry. By doing this, you negatively impact the community. I may have done this once or twice, but I tried to do this as little as I could.

Questioning & predicting

Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

This competency is all based around keeping your curiosity fresh. It’s about thinking how can I improve this? How can I make this better? It’s about showing your interest in a topic.

I showed this through the project. In my time lapses I have many times when you can see me and Evelyn (My classmate. She’s also got a blog in the blog44 program, she’s Evelyn C.) where we go over or prototype and see how we can improve it. Feedback is a violent cycle. You criticize, cut, glue, rebuild, self-examine and break. It’s also a necessary cycle. We need it to grow. It’s kinda like phoenixes if you prefer Harry Potter. Our work is the old bird. Then, there’s a critique & change. That’s the flames. then you have the young Phoenix, or the new & improved prototype.

Communicating & representing

This competency is about showing the science & math side of our project. After all, this class is scimatics (science/math), and we need to show the core of our projects. This was not one of those competencies were the amount of effort is a factor in determining how well you showed this competency. You NEEDED to have this competency shown. You needed to know the Pythagorean Theorem, which is a set of formulas in which you assign all three sides of a right angle triangle a letter, then combine or substrat them in different ways to find the desired length of the side you wish to find.

To understand the project, you needed to, well, understand the theorem. After all, this project was to build a laser maze in the form of a right angle triangle and calculate the sides using the Pythagorean formulas. We were also given several test on this. Now, it’s time to demonstrate my learning.

Often in this formula, after you have squared a number (which is multiplying a number by itself. Ex= A=2. A2= 4. To undo a squaring, you find that squared results square root, which is dividing a number by itself. Ex. A= 4. √A= 2.) & added it up with the other to find the final desired one (A2 + B2 = C2) and you try to square it and realize it’s squared result is simply something like 7.51649215. You cant write that down, so you simply say √_ (this is a where you put the squared result).

Ending

Anyways that’s all for today thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed & understood. Thanks 😊!