Traveling Back To The Renaissance

How did the renaissance influence western worldview?

Have you ever heard the term renaissance? Well… probably, but do you really know everything that went on during that time? The Renaissance is said to be the time that pushed everything and everyone into modern or today’s time. All of the changing and spreading of ideas during the renaissance like technology, religion, politics, and so much more led to to things we still use and need today, it’s the big idea! 

My class has done a unit on the renaissance and has learned so much about that time period and what went on. We did a project where everyone made a triptych! But don’t worry I’ll catch you up on everything. Now let’s travel back in time to the renaissance and everything that changed during that time!

Overview 

The renaissance was an amazing time because it allowed people to change feudalism and make the world into what it is today! There are three big things that I will talk about in my blog post. One is the changing of ideas during the renaissance and the impact it had, then that leads to the spreading of ideas during the renaissance and its impact. Finally the last thing it the impact of ideas (the big idea) and what effect it had on the renaissance’s time period and how it has changed today’s society. 

Questions And Italian City States

In this unit we had to answer a question for each lesson we learned about the renaissance. The first question asked “what does the term renaissance mean?” I said that the renaissance was a time in Europe from the 14th century to the 16th century. It was when new styles in painting, sculpting, architecture and so much more develop and view of the natural world started to grow upon Europeans. However the literal meaning of the word renaissance means many things, such as spirit, art, culture, literature and rebirth. It is said by many people that the renaissance is, “marking the transition from the medieval world or the dark ages into modern today’s world.”

The second question was a bit different, it asked to explain the four reasons that the Italian city states flourished and for each reason, use an annotated picture to help explain it with no more than four to five of my own words to explain the picture. I said that the four reasons the Italian City States Flourished was because of the climate, geography, leadership and social organization. These are my annotated pictures I made to help explain my reasoning. 

Changing Of Ideas

Thinkers

Now I’ll talk a bit about the changing of ideas during the renaissance. 

The first group I’ll talk about, is the thinkers. The thinkers were the people who influenced others. They were the ones who educated people about humanism and how you don’t have to asked god to do everything. They were the ones who spread the massage about how people can do what they want and they can do it by themselves, without the help from god all the time. The thinkers helped the renaissance because they were part of the change that brought that time into the new world, or as we know, today. 

Artists 

Before the renaissance all forms of art weren’t very creative in my mind, they were quite simple. It’s because people didn’t do art because of what influenced around them and to take risks, it didn’t have much of a deep meaning, that was until the renaissance came around. 

Once the renaissance came and turned everything upside, it was where people started taking risks and letting their art reflect the world around them and the people they were. Artists became famous and it was all because of the renaissance. 

Scientists And Mathematicians

During the renaissance people weren’t educated nearly the same as we are today. You could do experiments or try new things, all you could do was read books about things that people already wrote. If it weren’t for the renaissance, people would have still thought the earth was flat and that all the stars and planets revolved around the earth. In the renaissance people got to do experiments and discover new things and theory’s like the scientific method. 

Spreading Of Ideas

Now let’s talk a bit about the spread of ideas and the impacts it had. 

If you were very religious and wanted to give your to god,  you would can that the monastic life. Many men and women during the renaissance did this, they would live their lives studying religious texts, praying, and working. They also did many other things to give back to god by teaching children, feeding the poor, helping the sick and injured. This was how many people lived, which was what they wanted to do to give back to god. However when the church started doing things like taker over, having to much power and using the churches money for themselves, the people of the church started to voice their opinions. Over time their voices got louder and louder until they were heard. Everyone spread the idea of changing leadership in the church. People band together and create new religions and changed the ways of the old ones. This was known as the reformation. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/art/london-culture/renaissance-changed-the-world/

Impact Of Ideas

Civic humanists believed that being a responsible and good citizen and person meant that you should educate yourself about history, political issues and work hard to improve society.

The impact of ideas was when all the ideas in the renaissance from the, artists, thinkers, scientists, mathematicians and others came into action. It changed the way people saw religion, art, science and so much more. 

The Project (Triptych)

At the end of this unit the project we had to do was create a still image, a triptych. Below are a few drafts of my triptych. 👇