🌲How does what We hear, read and see influence us?🌲

In this post you will be seeing my reflection of our project “the medium is the message”.

When I first started this project, I had absolutely no idea what “the medium is the message” meant. Throughout this post, you will see the project, and my process through it.

During the entire project (and basically every project we do) we followed the project path:

In this project, we learned about marketing and graphic design. We made our own advertisements, learned about different techniques that advertisement agencies use, and we also learned some do’s and don’ts of graphic design and marketing.

In the beginning of the launch process, we learned about the project, and we had a lot of questions. we made a big brainstorm of need-to-know questions. We were introduced to our four groups which we would work with for the entirety of the different aspects of the project. Our North = Project Groups, East = Design/Photo Groups, South = Analysis Groups, West = Advertising groups. We met our north groups and finished writing the questions.

Here was me and my north group’s brainstorm: 

We were also introduced to our team launch journal, where our north group would be working together on throughout the project. In the journal we had different tasks for each section. L = look, listen and learn A = ask U = understand N = navigate C = create H = highlight. This journal recorded our process.

Once we were knew a little bit about our project, it was time to work on our first milestone. 

For milestone 1 we watched a video as a class called “welcome home”. It was an advertisement for Apple’s HomePod and it was an extremely well done commercial. We were told to analyze it through writing. To help, Twe were told to record our thoughts and feelings through drawings. 

Here was what I drew:

After milestone one, we were introduced to a book calledThe Gospel According To Larrywhich we read throughout the project. This book helped us get a better understanding of media. 

Here is how the book looks like:

Then, we started on building knowledge. To see this, click here to see my other post about my advertisement draft process. Which covers the building knowledge phase of this project.

After building some knowledge, we started on milestone 2. In milestone 2 we were instructed to analyze a piece of historical media, it didn’t have to be an advertisement. I personally chose an advertisement though. I chose this advertisement from the 1960’s advertising seventeen magazine. 

Here is the advertisement I analyzed. 

Once milestone 2 was completed, we learned about ethos (credibility, authority, trust) pathos (emotion, sympathy, imagination) and logos (logic, reason, rationality). Which are all terms that are used to persuade people to buy product, it can be relevant to any good advertisement out there. To give us a better understanding of these terms, we made a chart.

Here is the chart I created: 

Once we had completed our chart, we moved onto milestone 3, similar to milestone 2 we had to analyze another piece of historical media. This time it has to be an advertisement. I chose a Coca Cola advertisement from the 1920s.

Here was the advertisement I analyzed: 

To understand the next part please look at my previous post that explains the process to get to my final product;

Our final task was to make our final advertisement, but not individually, as a group. With our north group, we all contributed to our final advertisement:

Looking back on this project, it was a lot of fun. I practiced graphic design, learned how advertising effects us, sharpened up my photography skills, and swallowed a bunch of knowledge about marketing. So, “how does what we hear, read and see effect us?” It effects the way we look at the world. Everywhere, we are constantly being influenced and molded by media. Whether it’s an advertisement on a new diet, or seeing people on the street wearing a specific brand. It effects us. We are always being influenced.

As always, thank you so much for watching me grow in the forest of 

🌲learning🌲