I’ve had lots of fun on a lake before, but when we got to loon lake I didn’t have high expectations for this one. The main reason because of that is that our teachers said that there would be a lot of learning while on the trip. But I would soon learn that that was not totally true. 

Loon lake is a lake in maple ridge where families can go for a retreat or just it have fun. There are a couple different cabins there, all with weird names but the architecture of each of them were pretty different. I stayed in the “friends and alumni” cabin with Luca, Theryn, Ben T and Julian. The “Friends and Alumni” cabin was pretty far from everything besides the dinning hall. Which was good because that way we could be first to get seats at breakfast.

Each day we would have a schedule that we had to follow. This schedule would include the time for each meal, free time, DI work time and learning blocks. When we first got to Loon Lake Mister Hughes told us that we would most likely not have much free time. That would soon become false. Don’t get me wrong, I liked having lost of free time. But all I would do during is play basketball and from that I would get really tired for the rest of the day. We would have 2 hours of DI work time each day. Which I really liked because we got a lot of planning done. We would also have learning rotations for I think 2 hours each day. For me, this was the only non fun part at Loon Lake. This was mainly because it wasn’t really a rotation, because we were missing a teacher. At the last minute Miss Maxwell was not able to come. That really sucked because I feel that it would have been a lot better with her there. 

The meals at loon lake were the best part about it in my opinion. The breakfast were always amazing, the lunches were superb but there was one dinner that I wasn’t overly fond of. 

Usually after dinner we would have 30-45 mins of free time followed by another 45 mins of free time. For that whole time I would just play basketball with my friends Max and Luca. Mister Harris would be there for the second 45 mins, and he would organize a 3 on 3 tournament every day. That was the second best part of each day. Then the third best part of each day, wind down time/ sleeping. During that time you would be able to have a shower, bush your teeth, etc. Or if you didn’t want to do any of that you could just relax. After I would shower and brush my teeth, I would usually work on my “Loon Lake Learning Advance Book”.

The “Loon Lake Learning Advance Book” was a book who’s pages we would have to fill out each day. It had pages saying stuff like “Add an image here of your favourite meal of the day”. Or “write 9-12 sentences that describe your day at the Loon Lake Learning Advance”. To read the book click here.

On the last full day there we had some activities that we did not do for the rest of the trip. We played laser tag, archery tag and watched the women’s hockey gold medal game. That was one of the best days not only because of that but because of the meals we had as well. I don’t remember what they were that day, but I remember them being great. 

In conclusion, I had lots of fun at the Loon Lake Learning Advance and I think that it would be fun doing it again. There are a couple things that I wish would have been different. For example, I wish that I was in Yew cabin with everyone else and that we would have had better french toast. But me along with most other people that went to the Loon Lake Learning Advance, found it very enjoyable.