Hello and welcome back. Today I will be telling you about the International challenge that we participated in. This challenge is called Destination Imagination. Thousands of people around the world participate in a variety of challenges intended to solve a problem, including us. The challenge that me and my team chose was the technical challenge. My group members were, Ben T, Julian, Declan, Aaron, Max, and myself. Our challenge revolved around making a five minute video in the style of a video game. The rules of that challenge are documented here.

Technical Next Level

Next, was choosing a team name. Our group wanted to make a play on ‘technical’, so the team name we finally settled on was “Technically happy.”

Next was writing the script. In class, we had a lot off cool ideas. Our favourite one that we eventually settled on was the story of someone being stuck in a wold between the living and the dead. They had to go on a quest to craft a tool that would kill the monster, Cerberus. Cerberus is a three headed dog from Greek mythology that guards that gate into/out of the underworld. There were a lot more fine details that we had that I am not going to go into that much. Here is copy of our final script.

SCRIPT

The tool, which is the main part of the challenge was a spear, that used crossbow arms to give the attack more force. This was made by Julian and Ben(links to blogs here and here) and I think they made a really great thing in the time they had.

Me and Declan were in charge of making the special ability(link to blog here). We used cardboard, bamboo and duct tape to make a what me and my friends like to call, “punchy thingy.” This was really fun to make, and I think it suited the scenes it was in really well. 

Now, filming. I am skimming over a lot of the more boring stuff, but just know there was a lot more things we had to do before this. We filmed our video in front of a green screen, and then Aaron(link to blog here), our amazing editor and VFX person guy put the things we recorded in digital backgrounds. 

One thing I was personally responsible for was making the SFX. For these, i found copyright free SFX and combined various ones to make new SFX. This was really fun, and contributed a lot to the overall feel of the video.

We also did this thing called the instant challenge. This is a challenge where we get a task to complete and then with little time to plan, we solve the challenge. Our challenge was, CLASSIFIED. Yeah. I can’t tell you about it…YET, Growth Mindset. 

Finally. What you’ve all been waiting for. The final product. Haha nope. I can’t give that to you either. But, when I can I will update this post so you can see our final product in all of its glory.

Here is the embedded final product and the Q&A video to go along with it.

Technically Happy
Solution:

Technically Happy
Q&A:

Today, we did a reflection on DI using the protocol, “What I used to think/What I think” this is mine:

I used to think, now I think….