The behind the scenes of an election šŸ—³ļø

Hi and welcome back to the first blog post for this semester.Ā 

This humanities project was all about voting and the behind the sense

Ā 

now where to startā€¦Ā 

We bang this project by reading William Goldingā€™s classic novel ā€œLord of the Fliesā€

The whole point of us reading Lord of the Ā Flies was to learn/understand the concept of human nature and how humans naturally Ā to organize themselves. Our purpose was the analyze the characters and their actions, while taking into consideration; the circumstances, setting/environment and re-occurring themes that seems to present themselves. While reading, we were also trying the find ā€œmodern day connectionsā€, for example: jack in LOTF could be represented in our society as a right wing leader, like Hitler.

One our class had finished reading the book, we had group discussions, taking this opportunity to share our opinions on the novel, our connections and questions.

While reading lord to the flies, we got come Ms.Madsen Lectures all about; Government structure, social contract theory and these 3 philosophers and about their no so far fetched theories on how humans organize themselves. Ā It may not sound like a lot but boy was it a lot of new information.

To reflect on all the new knowledge, I came into this project knowing absolute nothing. I knew the absolute bare minimum, I knew we had a prime minster, that you had to be 18 year sold to vote and that there are different ā€œlevelsā€ of government (municipal, provincials, federal) but other then thatā€¦ not much

after the lectures we did a few kahoots. They were all the same kahoot but wed do many many takes and every time Sepaus won. He knows his stuff thatā€™s for sure

After a few days of our kahoot repetition, we had our ā€œfinal kahootā€ that actually when towards our grade. I got 100% but thatā€™s to saying I didn’t have to study.

Honestly, I loved the Kahoot. I think I really learned to remember specific details through the Kahoot that normally I probably wouldā€™ve just undermined and forgot about it, I wish Kahoots were a normalized way to test information in school

The final product:

At the end of the day, our final project was a 10 minute presentation in front of two grade 12ā€™s and 3 grade 10ā€™s using a keynote (our choice) and a video explaining ā€œhow to voteā€, ā€œwhy you should voteā€, and ā€œwhat goes behind your voteā€

We began by getting sorted into our groups.

we were a stacked group, consisting of: Me, Zach, Claire and Sean

overall the group dynamic was pretty good. This was my secound time working with Sean in a group project, which was a funny coincidence but Sean is a lovely guy to work withā€¦85% of the time. Zach was our DRI for this project, I think he really set the pace and the expectation for us all. Zach was our director and editor which the rest of our group deeply appreciated. Zach did majority of the filming and editing while me, Claire and Sean focused of script developing, storyboard it and coming up with the main idea.

In the end our group came from another angle. While 95% of the other group choice to just make a pretty slight forward keynote animation, our group made the discussion to create a short film instead. Iā€™m confident that that was the move. At first we were all sceptical that our short film approach wold take away fro the ā€œinformationā€ part of it but in the end i think it turned out just how we wanted it.

With our video complete, we had to pitch our prevention ideas. What would make our presentations stand out? What should be do to make sure the information sticks?

we chose to include some ā€œaudience participationā€, while we werenā€™t the only group who chose to utilize the audience.. at least we didnā€™t bribe the audience with candy šŸ­

We all had a strong idea of how we wanted to come across, share our information and present our video

We ended up being the first group to present. I think we really utilized this purity to set the bar nice and high!

In the end we did a solid job, another day of practice I don’t think wouldā€™ve hurt but what can you do?

After we got the feedback, back from the audienceā€¦ the seem ed overall pretty happy and not bored

and then spring break! Canā€™t wait

Final reflection,

I learned a lot and although the final product (presentation) wasnā€™t my favourite I think I still utilized the opportunity for my benefit.

I will now have somehting to contribute at the adult table curing thanksgiving

hannahšŸŗšŸ»šŸ„‚šŸ¹šŸøšŸ„ƒ