Story Telling Through Video: Meghans Version

6am we are on the road heading for Alberta the only things on my mind were listening to music, watching movies, and having fun with my friends.

Hi everyone welcome back to my blog post! Today we are talking all about my first project in maker which was all about videos! The driving questions for this project is “How Can I Use Moving Image To Tell A Story” . We went to Alberta with one job for this project and that was too take three videos each a different style! First we made a silent video at a ghost town, an investigative video , a Tik Tok video or three, and an at home video. 

Silent Video

The silent video was one of my favourites because we got to run around and to really silly acting to get a story across. We filmed the film at Three Valley Gap which is a super cool off the radar lodge with a Titanic themed pool and a ghost town museum! Before we went on the trip we brainstormed different plots and made a story board! Overall I am so happy with how this turned out I think we got the story across really well without using sound! I had a lot of fun creating the plot and getting to act as my character! I also learned how to play around with the different angles to better show a character or part of the story. If I could have done anything different I would have added more fun angles and used some of the random angles that we experimented with.

Investigative Video

The Investigative Video is more like an interview video because the point was too create a thesis and questions to support that thesis by interviewing people at different locations. The hardest part for me and many others in my class was going up to random people and asking them the questions you made. On top of that we also had to ask if we could film the interview and thank you so so much once again to Jeff, Ron, and Nancy for being in this video. My thesis was “Tourists visit the Rockies to explore the unique natural environment that includes stunning  flora and fawna and the rich history that established Canada as a country.” My questions that I asked were : 

1. What is your favourite fact that you have learned so far?

2. Why did you choose to visit (place I am in e.g Spiral Tunnel)? 

3. What is the most unique historical place you have been to so far?

This definitely this made me step out of my comfort zone but it ended up being a really good experience and I think it definitely helped that everyone I asked said yes so thank you once again! Overall I learned so much about how to interview different people and how to make my video look professional. I had a lot of ups and downs with this video I think my favourite part was editing and helping my friends with their interviews by filming them. If I were to do it again I would try and do more then three interviews however I think I still did a pretty good job and I am very happy with the end result.

Tik Tok Video’s 

I had a lot of fun making these videos with my friends! This was definitely my favourite video out of all of them because there no rules except for chose a trend and have fun. The first Tik Tok video we made was a jumping transition where we went to a whole bunch of different places and if you read the comment on all of my Tik Tok videos you will see the places and a further description. The second one I made was a Eminem spin transition which I also did with my friends. Lastly one of my friends and I did a crossed leg transition video to lake Louise! 

At Home Video 

“What Inspires me?” Is the question this video answers but through a story! This video took me a while to write the script for because it was very hard to answer five questions without making it an obvious Q&A video. We had to tell a story and make different clips that matched the story. It also took me a while to answer the questions because I really had to think about it. This was overall really fun to film and I am happy with the end result leaving me with one last thing to say what inspires you?

I had a lot of fun in this unit/project because I love filming and we got to do just that! I learnt a lot about Angela and how to tell a story with just pictures or answer questions and spread information through story. The hardest part for me through this project was probably the investigative video and getting the interviews but I am very happy with all of my videos and all of my work. I am so excited for the next project. Thanks for reading my post and stay tuned on my YouTube channel and my blog for more of my work. Have a great day!