Nationalism and the Written Word in the 1800s

What leads us to write as people? What leads people to rise up against oppression? How does Nationalism impact this? How do these three things overlap in the 1800s in France?

What nationalism though? Let’s start with the question who do you cheer for in the Olympics? It’s probably your home country, where you live or where your family is from. This is a loyalty to your nation. It’s the same reason we go to war for our countries. It’s the same reason I make sure people know I’m not American when I travel. Nationalism is a devotion to your nation. When the country people live in does not look like the one they want to live in, they will make a change for the good of the nation.

For this project, we made videos again. I found this pretty easy because at this point in the year, I feel like I’ve made thousands. I found a bunch of good visuals and managed to make 3 days of filming look like 1 (same lighting same time of day with blinds closed and same shirt and hairstyle), which isn’t even something I would have even thought of at the start of this project. I also found it helpful to write my script out and then put it into a diagram like this :

Script template

This technique was shown to us by Mr harris.

Once I got into the research I hit a block. Turns out very few people have studied this topic so I had to pick through a lot of sources to get the information I needed. Wikipedia was really helpful they have a really good page on the history of French journalism (here) that I used as my biggest source of information. Eventually, I regretted picking such a specific topic, but I’m glad that I pushed myself (something I outlined in my MPoL).

Without further ado here is my video

And Part 2

Something I will improve in my next project is my time management. Many days of class during work blocks I stared at my screen in a block not being able to get anything done until there was a time crunch. This just increased my stress and brought down the quality of my work

Overall I would consider this a learning project of knowing when to not bite off more than I can chew.

Until next time!

Neko