Lies and Incongruences (Humanities)

Introduction:
Introduction: Welcome back to our exciting journey through humanities. This year has been a mix of fun and challenging experiences, buts its time to move on and talk about our final project for tenth grade in humanities. Without further ado, let’s
dive into our project.

The Project:

Our final project was centered around the theme of reconciliation for Indigenous peoples, a significant issue in British Columbia and across Canada. The Canadian government has acknowledged and apologized for its past discriminatory actions against these communities. However, certain instances question the sincerity of these apologies. Our task involved reading a book called “The Marrow Thieves.” When reading the book, we had to keep a weekly journal for peer discussions, and by the end of the project we needed to create a collage to wrap up the project. As with every PLP project, we are given a driving question where we are required to answer it by the end of the project. Our driving question for this project was “Insert.” Now, with a clearer understanding of the project, let’s move onto the milestones.

Milestones:

Milestone 1:
Milestone 1, was definitely one of the easier milestones. This milestone was called “History and Art.” For this milestone we had to pick an indigenous act that affected indigenous communities in a negative way, for this milestone I chose to talk about the Indian act of 1951, specifically the second version of this act. Not only did we need to talk about the act and how it affected indigenous communities, but we also had to choose a piece indigenous art that connected to our statement. You can read more about my research, and art, by reading the craft document that I submitted to Showbie.

Click Here

I feel I did a fantastic job at summarizing the act and connecting it to the art. I also decided to do a voice-over as I was currently doing another project where we had to record podcasts. Not only did I write a fantastic summary, but I also provided very specific evidence as-well as a piece of art that connects to the statement very well. Overall I am happy with the work I have created.

Milestone 2:
Milestone 2 was more difficult than milestone 1. Throughout the project I feel the milestones get progressively more difficult. Regardless, let’s jump into the milestone. Milestone 2 was more or less the same. For this milestone we had to discuss a contemporary issue, and had to connect it to another piece of art. I am by far, most proud of this milestone as it improved on every single aspect as my milestone 1. For the milestone I chose to talk about indigenous mental health, and whilst researching the topic I was blown away by the statistics regarding my topic. You can learn more by checking out my work by clicking on the craft link below:

Click Here

As said before, I am most proud of this milestone as I feel I did a fantastic job at baking up all of my points with specific evidence. I feel I did an extending job at this milestone, as shown through the specified evidence, the art, and the overall structure of the piece of work.

Milestone 3:
Milestone 3, was again, basically the exact same as milestone 2, and 1. For this milestone we needed to discuss a civil dispute and connect that to another piece of art. You can learn more by clicking on the craft link submitted to Showbie:

Click Here

Once again I feel I did a fantastic job at summarizing homelessness. I provided specific evidence that related to the topic, and chose a piece of artwork that connected to homelessness very well. Overall I am proud of this milestone, and I really enjoyed researching and diving deeper into topics I would’ve never of guessed to be interesting.

Milestone 4:
Finally we can now depart from the art and summary milestones. For my second to last milestone I needed to write about how I feel as a person living in Canada. This was one of the more laid back milestones, and it gave me a chance to really think about what it’s like to live in Canada. You can learn more by reading my reflection.

Reflection:

Living in Canada is an ever-growing struggle. With what seems like ever-rising housing prices, gas prices, and grocery prices, Canada (especially British Columbia) doesn’t seem like the most realistic place to live right now. Ever since we started seeing higher prices, I have had to work a lot harder to get the things I want. This has given me a real wake-up call and has helped me understand the struggles and challenges the Indigenous communities are facing at a time like this. After we learned about Truth and Reconciliation, I now realize how severe the problem is. Some things I could do to bring awareness to this is to mention in audio recordings (for example, my podcast), or in blog posts, that I am writing or recording on Indigenous land. This could help bring awareness, and would acknowledge that the land I am on ultimately belongs to the Indigenous peoples. Moreover, I could also start to invest a bit more time in researching the issue, and I could begin by bringing public awareness to issues that are currently ongoing within Indigenous communities in my blog posts. In conclusion, while the Indigenous communities are facing discrimination and poor living conditions, the government has come a long way in recognizing such actions and overall, we seem to be on the right track.

Milestone 5:
Finally, we have reached the end of our project. Milestone 5 was our final collage, everything we have done in this project led up to this final piece of work, and I am proud of the work I ended up with.

Overall, I am proud of my collage, it showcased what I found most interesting when researching about these topics, and showed that I actually learned something from this project. In the end I am proud of how I showcased my work and I feel I did a great job at summarizing mental health in indigenous communities.

What did I learn:
Now what the heck did I learn from this whole thing, and did I actually take anything away from this project, or did I just do the work and forget about the point of this whole project. Well the answer is yes, I actually learned something. Regardless of all the work we did, I understood the main point of this project, and that is that regardless of region, or race, we should all be treated as equals. After all we are all human and we all deserve respect, and we all deserve to be heard. More specifically, I learned that mental health is an ever growing struggle for indigenous communities, and that the government isn’t giving much compensation for these communities even now a-days. Overall I actually took something away from this project that helped me realize how lucky I am to be living in a heated house, and to be able to have access to an education, food, and money.

Conclusion:
So in conclusion, this project was hard, challenging, but overall succeeded in teaching me about indigenous peoples rights, and how the government brutally violated their rights back then. Thanks for reading this weeks blog, and I will see you in the next one.

0 comments on “Lies and Incongruences (Humanities)Add yours →