2018 DI Regionals!

Hey there 👋 it’s me again, in this post I will be talking about my first ever Destination Imagination experience.

Destination Imagination or DI is an educational and volunteer led organization that has kids from kindergarten to university participating through creative and group problem solving challenges. You and your team members work together to present a performance.

Every year it ranges from about five to seven different challenges, this year there were seven challenges called, drop zone the engineering challenge, unlikely attraction the scientific challenge, inside impact the service learning challenge, friends everywhere the early learning challenge, change of tune the fine arts challenge, maze craze the technical challenge and the challenge I was in, treasure which is the improvisational challenge.

Destination Imagination Website Below

https://www.destinationimagination.org

Below there are videos to the introduction of each challenge.

TREASURE

My group members for this challenge are Jordyn, Aedan and Jackson. My group members and I were faced with many problems during our challenge at regionals. One was that I couldn’t attend DI regionals with my team so they had to be a three person group which was difficult with our challenge. Another one was that at the tournament my group members had to pick up a piece of paper written by the officials sometime during the performance that had a setback they had to incorporate. However when Jordyn picked up the setback Jackson and Aedan had accidentally read it wrong and everyone started doing different things. Even though the setback didn’t quite go as planned Jordyn was very good at getting the storyline back on track. Jackson and Aedan were also very creative and good at keeping the story going even though everyone was confused. I’m proud of my group for continuing and finishing off the performance even though it may not have gone they way they planned.

DROP ZONE

UNLIKELY ATTRACTION

INSIDE IMPACT

CHANGE OF TUNE

MAZE CRAZE

REFLECTION 😄

Struggles
Some struggles my group faced were definitely geared toward our skits. Our problem was that we never knew how long our skits were so we would end up finishing before our five minute time ended or we would get stopped to early and not finish. Our group decided that it might be easier if we planned out a plot for how we would present our skit so that we could know roughly how much time we had during our performances. For our next DI performances this method will help us and make a big difference to improv our skit.

Surprises
One big surprise was that the day of DI regionals the floor space was much bigger than we had been practicing with. This was good but next time we all need to remember that we need to use the space to our advantage. For next DI using the space more and spreading out more towards the front will improve the quality of our performance.

Weaknesses
Some weakness in our group were mostly the little things, remembering to use all the space, knowing the setback, establishing the characters names off the bat and throughout the skit. If our group can fix the little things they all add up so with that our scores will go up.

Learnt
My group members and I all agree that the thing we learned the most was how to work in a group. We all had to realize that some things you want won’t happen and that it’s so important to be open to others ideas and not just your own because otherwise you won’t have room for improvement. Our group by the end worked exceedingly well together and are all looking forward to keep getting better at improv together.

VIDEO OF OUR PERFORMANCE!

Overall, it is stressful but it’s also very much worth it and fun! It’s a great experience and helps you to develop your creative thinking in many ways, it also builds on so my life skills, like problem solving and group work.