TTTTTTTTTPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOLLLLLLL :(

Hi blog readers!

This is my last blog post until September, as it is the last day of school until grade 9 by the time Iโ€™m writing this.

This post is about my tPOL, also known as a Transitional Presentation of Learning, where I tell my teachers and my parents how I grew as a learner. Anyway, letโ€™s get into my tPOL!

DI

I think that my DI improved a lot of my skills, and made me better at a lot of things, including teamwork, learning to deep dive into a subject, and push through things when I donโ€™t want to. Here are a few photos to represent these things! Deep Cove Music Advertisement I think that my DCM advertisement really helped me with some very helpful tips. I learned to always do what the teacher suggests, even if I donโ€™t think itโ€™s the best idea. I also learned that you might have multiple drafts and ideas than final products, and that you shouldnโ€™t be too stubborn about your ideas, and let other peopleโ€™s ideas roll too. Renaissance Triptych The renaissance triptych was a great example of putting all the things I said above to work! I took all the things that I had learned to good use. I asked my teachers for ideas and suggestions, and I learned to take constructive criticism better. I made multiple revisions, and settled on one that a teacher had suggested to me. What Iโ€™m still working on

I am still working on all of these things. For example, I still need to work on taking constructive criticism, and I am still very stubborn. I think that I get frustrated a bit, and I sometimes rush through my work. To fix this, I am always going to check basecamp, Showbie, and things to make sure that I am on top of my work, I will set reminders and alarms, and remember to check my emails every day.

Thank you for listening to my last blog post of the year, and I will see you in September!

Quite New Beginnings

Hi there blog readers!

I know it has been a really short time since my last blog post, but is really close to the end of the year, and all my projects are finishing at the same time! In this blog post, I will tell you about my latest Humanities project, called New Beginnings! As our last project was about the renaissance, it was only fitting that our next project would be about the Europeansโ€™ exploration to the New World, a driving factor in the late renaissance.

We started this project with an entry event, where we made an advertisement about Seycove. This wouldnโ€™t help us, as our final product didnโ€™t end up being an advertisement, like it was originally intended to be. Then, we learned about New France, the founding of New France, and the trade and treaties with the people who were already there. Then, we did an Iron Chef presentation about a topic that we wanted about New France. I chose Missionaries and the role of the Church for mine.ย 

Finally, we got started on our final product. We made a slider that you could use, where on one side you could see one of the images, also known as one of the viewpoints of the same photo (Indigenous vs European viewpoints). I did the same topic that I made for my Iron Chef presentation, Missionaries and the role of the Church, because I found that very interesting. In my European viewpoint, I drew a church, some crosses nailed onto trees, and a sign pointing towards the church, all nestled in a beautiful forest like none other in Europe. In the Indigenous viewpoint however, itโ€™s the same photo but with a scary-looking filter, with 3 drawings. One of them just said ASSIMILATION, below it had a drawing of a cross and a fish (symbols of Christianity), and below that it said the words Be Converted. Or Else.

Thank you for listening to my blog post, and I will see you with my tPOL post!

The Cellular Level of a Comic

Hello there blog readers!

In todayโ€™s blog, I will tell you ALL about my Scimatics comic! In this project, I made a comic about a disease, and how it works. We used drawings we made ourselves, and ComicLife3 to make our comic. We also used scientific descriptions and knowledge that we had learned previously.

We started this project by learning all about cells and diseases, and how they work. Next, we made a disease WANTED poster, where we made a cool-looking poster that showed how a disease worked. We did a set of Khan Academy tests that showed our skill and knowledge in the topic of this unit, cells and diseases.

And then, I started working on my actual comic! My comic is called Bat, Monkey, and James (this name is slightly based off the Grimm fairy tale called the Mouse, the Bird and the Sausage). It explains the Ebola virus, the same virus I used for my wanted poster. It shows how it works, how deadly it is, how you can treat it, and what people are doing about one of the most deadly diseases on Planet Earth all through an engaging and delightful story.

My Comic Book!

Curricular Competencies:

Thinking: I think that I was always on task when I needed to be, and I tried really hard at my work. I used a lot of scientific descriptions with my wanted poster and my comic.

Personal and Social: I tried really hard to make my drawings, and I spent a lot of time on my work.

Communication: I think that I was very good at communicating my ideas through the comic and my wanted poster.

Thank you for listening to my blog post, and I will see you in the next one!

First Draft of my Slider!

I wanted to represent the role of the church in both the European and the First Nationโ€™s eyes. My photo I took was in the forest.
Image 1:
This image has two main drawings on it. I drew a church, looking nestled in the woods, and red crosses nail on trees. These are made to represent Christianity and the conversion of indigenous people, which was seen as a great thing in 15th century Europe. I have a sign with an arrow pointing to the church with the words โ€œIndians this wayโ€, referring to Indigenous people, as this is what Europeans called them at the time.
Image 2:
This image is the same background image as the first one, but has an effect called Dramatic Cool that makes it look spookier and more fit for the situation. I have the word ASSIMILATION in capital letters and in bold. Since this image is from the eye of an indigenous person, this says that all that the Europeans were doing was assimilating and destroying their culture by forcing them to convert to Christian from their culture that they had before. I have a cross and a fish beside each other below the big bolded word, both symbols of Christianity. Below that, I have a set of bolded words saying โ€œBE CONVERTED OR ELSEโ€, as Europeans forced most Indigenous people to become Christian though multiple programs.

Quite an Ultimate Design Challenge Indeed!

Hi blog readers!

Today I will be telling you about my latest project in Scimatics!

This project was called the Ultimate Design Challenge, and was as fun as the title sounded! We had to make a 3D image of something we wanted to make that would either maximize surface area or volume. After we spent some time learning how to calculate surface area and volume of both easy shapes to calculate like cubes, before moving on to some more advanced topics like cylinders and triangular prisms.

My partner and I decided to make a rocket ship that would maximize volume, because we realized that most rocket ships donโ€™t have a lot of space to move around in. We wanted to make a rocket ship that would have a lot of room in it. My partner made the inside of the ship, while I made the outside

This is my final product

These are my calculations for the outside of the ship

My ratio in the end was 18.239:1, very good compared to other people, so I succeeded by a lot in this project!

Curricular Competencies:

I think that I spent most of my class time effectively and efficiently. I spent a lot of time working on my rocket ship, and even more on my calculations.

I made a really good rocket ship in Tinkercad that used a lot of hard and different shapes. For example, I used a lot of circular prisms, and I didnโ€™t use any easy shapes such as rectangular prisms. I also used a cone and two hemispheres, which both took a long time to calculate the surface area and volume.

I did a great job in my calculations and presenting them in a Keynote presentation to the class. I made the Keynote look very good, with background images, fonts, etc. I also showed the calculations very well, and presented them in a easy-to-read ratio that summed up my calculations. My ratio was 18.239:1, a very good ratio.

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope you learned something!

Link to my partners blog

DI is Very DIY

Hi everyone!

I just finished a big project, something that I have been working on for a long time, since the start of the year! This project involved lots of teamwork, training, preparation, and skills to do well in. Yes, I am talking about Destination Imagination.

If you donโ€™t know, Destination Imagination (commonly known as DI), is a massive competition held all over the world. People from before preschool, all the way to university, go to their local competitions in open-ended challenges, where they have multiple months to solve these challenges, and present their solutions to appraisers at their local competition. If they win their local competition, they will go to Provincials. If they win that, Nationals, and etc.

I was in the Improvisational group, and we had to research certain festivals. My group did La Tomatina, Kwita Izina, The Marrakech Popular Arts Festival, Floriade, Cooper Hill Cheese Rolling Festival, Buenos Aires Tango Festival, Pushkar Camel Fair, and the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. These are all very different festivals, and are all extremely interesting in their own ways. The difference between our challenge compared to all the other challenges, was that we didnโ€™t have a lot of preparation, as we had the IMPROV challenge. We improvised everything on the spot!

We may not have had the most preparation, but we certainly had a lot of time to spare, which we spent organizing, thinking of ideas that we could use for our solution, and making sure we knew everything about all the festivals we were doing. My favourite thing we did as a group in the lead-up to the competition was practicing the challenge itself. Our team manager made slips of paper we could use for our goals, forks in the road and challenge so it was all random and we didnโ€™t know what we were going to do. These slips of paper were made to be the most random goals and forks in the road, to make it seem more like the competition.

What I think I learned the most was my teamwork. I learned to not always use my ideas, and not to take charge too much. I let other people use ideas, though I did share my ideas too. I got a lot better at my improv skills, and as this was my first time competing in Destination Imagination, I learned what this event was, and how to do well in it.

My teammateโ€™s blogs!

Sydneyโ€™s blog

Silasโ€™s blog

Gwenythโ€™s blog

Frankieโ€™s blog

Hereโ€™s a video of our performance!

As always, thank you for reading my latest post, and I will see you in the next one!

Debugging is Like Being the Detective in a Crime Drama, But you are Also the Murderer

Hi everyone!

Today I am talking about our latest project, which was all about coding, the the Kinetic Molecular Theory. We learned about the KMT, then created a video game to show our skills in Scratch!

My Game (I wonโ€™t tell you what itโ€™s about in the intro)

At the beginning of this project, we learned about the Kinetic Molecular Theory, or KMT for short. The KMT is all about how atoms react to energy and heat. We did lots of worksheets to make sure we knew what we were talking about, before we learned how to use Scratch.

Scratch is a free website that letโ€™s kids learn how to code games, animations, and lots more! Our teacher didnโ€™t teach us Scratch, so we learned it on our own. I started making my game, then I realized I didnโ€™t know what I was doing. I made a few easy games that I learned from tutorials, then I started making my game, for real this time.

My game

My game explained the Kinetic Molecular Theory, while still offering a well-made game that is fun and addictive. You are a little atom (Bohr Model) who wants to reach the nucleus, but there are electrons that you have to avoid that might hit you. You want to reach the nucleus as many times as possible, without touching the electrons and the other randomly moving atoms. Each time you hit the nucleus, you get a point, and everything speeds up, making it harder. When you hit an electron, your score will go down by one (except if you are at zero), but not if you hit a randomly moving atom. You try to get to 10, then you ย win! This game is very hard, and requires both luck, skill, and precision to master. I can say that this game is possible. If this game seems fun, you can try it out with this link!

Link to my game!

Curricular Competencies:

I think that I used all class time efficiently and effectively, I had no distractions during the project. I also demonstrated a sustained curiosity about the topic. For example, I didnโ€™t know how to use Scratch very well and I wanted to learn more about it, so I asked a few people to teach me more, and watched a few tutorials on how to create games on Scratch.

In my game, I showed a sophisticated understanding about the topic, and I showed that in my game. I showed the Bohr Model of the atom, both as a complete image, and up close as well. When you get to a certain point in my game, it will teach you part of the kinetic molecular theory and the atom. Each time you pass a level, more energy and heat get added, making everything move faster.

I created a very addicting, entertaining, yet skillful game in Scratch. Before this project, I had zero clue what Scratch was or how to use it, and now I know a lot more than I did before the project began. This game requires a lot of skill and precision to do well in, and requires timing, coordination, and a lot of luck to complete. My controls (arrow keys) are very easy to use and understand, as it is stated in the description of the game.

Thank you so much blog readers for reading my latest blog post, and I hope you have a great day!

I Know What a Triptych is and How to Spell It

Hi blog readers!

In todayโ€™s blog post, I will teach you about both our last project, and some very interesting new information I have learned with it, including SuperImposeX, and triptychs!

This project was all about connecting renaissance art, concepts, people, and inventions to more contemporary concerns. We made a final triptych to show all of what we had learned in the end. Read to the end to find out what I did!

You, the reader, may be wondering what a triptych is. A triptych is a three-panelled piece of art or information, and has been used since the Middle Ages! I learned all of this during our renaissance project. In this project, we learned how to use an app called SuperImposeX, an app mostly used for graphic design, but you can use it for other things as well, such as adding effects to photos, or making triptychs!

The school of Athens

We started this project just before Loon Lake, where we compared societal structures, and completed a re-enactment of a Middle Ages court. When we got to Loon Lake, we determined historical significance by a NAME chart, which stands for Novelty, Applicability, Memory, and Effects. You can decide what is historical significant based on how new, or novel, this information was, how this information could be used in the world, how people remember it, and the effects it has had in the world. We could use these name charts for our final paragraph later in the project.

Creating connections was very helpful when we got to our triptych, so we learned how to make them with the evolution of the telephone. We then learned how to use some basic SuperImposeX tools. After, we looked at and started working on the final product. We decided on a person, invention, idea, and a piece of art that we thought was the most influential of the time period.

I chose Petrarch for my person, Leonardo da Vinciโ€™s Armoured Car for my invention, the Silk Road for my idea, and the School of Athens for my piece of art, all for varying reasons that helped shape our society as we see it today. We also had to write a final paragraph about who we thought was the most influential of the whole renaissance, so I said Francesco Petrarch, who is credited both for starting the renaissance in Italy after finding Ciceroโ€™s letters, and inventing the idea of Humanism.

My Triptych!

Thank you for reading my blog post, and I hope you have a great day!

Loon Lake eBook

Hi blog readers!

I think you are wondering what this link is at the bottom, and I will tell you now. Itโ€™s a book! More specifically, and eBook! This book is showing my experience at a resort I went to with my class, Loon Lake!

Loon Lake is an overnight camp area owned by UBC, where people can come to spend some time either for fun, or with your school/education to learn.

Loon Lake was overall, ok. I liked the change in learning, it was a nice difference from the regular day, so I liked it in that way. I liked how all the classes were in comfortable, different areas, and that we didnโ€™t just sit in a room all day, we actually did things, played games and went outside. I liked the battle archery and the laser tag, I hadnโ€™t played laser tag in YEARS, and I have never tried battle archery, and they were both really fun!

I hope you enjoy!

Learning Advance 2022

Here are a few photos that I want to add!

๐”ป๐•€ ๐”น๐•๐• ๐•˜ โ„™๐• ๐•ค๐•ฅ! | (โ€ข โ—กโ€ข)|

Hi blog readers!

I know you have been expecting my last cyclocross post out of five, but instead, I am going to write about Destination Imagination!

DI

Destination Imagination is a team challenge that happens all around the world, with challenge categories such as technical, fine arts, even improvisational! If you compete, you make your solution to the challenge, and show it off to the judges in your regional competition. If you win, you move to the provincial competition. If you win that, you make it to the nation competion, etc.

I am in the improv category, and our challenge is to improvise a skit about someone trying to achieve a goal at a festival, with a fork in the road in the middle. This fork in the road will be random, but we have to use it in the skit in some way, shape or form.

FORK in the road!

So far, I have gotten a lot better at my improv and my acting. I have never really done improv until this challenge, and I am now much better than I was before. I would say the same thing about my acting, I am a lot better now than I was before this challenge.

Thank you blog readers for reading this post, and I will see you in the next post!