Quite an Ultimate Design Challenge Indeed!

Hi blog readers!

Today I will be telling you about my latest project in Scimatics!

This project was called the Ultimate Design Challenge, and was as fun as the title sounded! We had to make a 3D image of something we wanted to make that would either maximize surface area or volume. After we spent some time learning how to calculate surface area and volume of both easy shapes to calculate like cubes, before moving on to some more advanced topics like cylinders and triangular prisms.

My partner and I decided to make a rocket ship that would maximize volume, because we realized that most rocket ships don’t have a lot of space to move around in. We wanted to make a rocket ship that would have a lot of room in it. My partner made the inside of the ship, while I made the outside

This is my final product

These are my calculations for the outside of the ship

My ratio in the end was 18.239:1, very good compared to other people, so I succeeded by a lot in this project!

Curricular Competencies:

I think that I spent most of my class time effectively and efficiently. I spent a lot of time working on my rocket ship, and even more on my calculations.

I made a really good rocket ship in Tinkercad that used a lot of hard and different shapes. For example, I used a lot of circular prisms, and I didn’t use any easy shapes such as rectangular prisms. I also used a cone and two hemispheres, which both took a long time to calculate the surface area and volume.

I did a great job in my calculations and presenting them in a Keynote presentation to the class. I made the Keynote look very good, with background images, fonts, etc. I also showed the calculations very well, and presented them in a easy-to-read ratio that summed up my calculations. My ratio was 18.239:1, a very good ratio.

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope you learned something!

Link to my partners blog

DI is Very DIY

Hi everyone!

I just finished a big project, something that I have been working on for a long time, since the start of the year! This project involved lots of teamwork, training, preparation, and skills to do well in. Yes, I am talking about Destination Imagination.

If you don’t know, Destination Imagination (commonly known as DI), is a massive competition held all over the world. People from before preschool, all the way to university, go to their local competitions in open-ended challenges, where they have multiple months to solve these challenges, and present their solutions to appraisers at their local competition. If they win their local competition, they will go to Provincials. If they win that, Nationals, and etc.

I was in the Improvisational group, and we had to research certain festivals. My group did La Tomatina, Kwita Izina, The Marrakech Popular Arts Festival, Floriade, Cooper Hill Cheese Rolling Festival, Buenos Aires Tango Festival, Pushkar Camel Fair, and the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. These are all very different festivals, and are all extremely interesting in their own ways. The difference between our challenge compared to all the other challenges, was that we didn’t have a lot of preparation, as we had the IMPROV challenge. We improvised everything on the spot!

We may not have had the most preparation, but we certainly had a lot of time to spare, which we spent organizing, thinking of ideas that we could use for our solution, and making sure we knew everything about all the festivals we were doing. My favourite thing we did as a group in the lead-up to the competition was practicing the challenge itself. Our team manager made slips of paper we could use for our goals, forks in the road and challenge so it was all random and we didn’t know what we were going to do. These slips of paper were made to be the most random goals and forks in the road, to make it seem more like the competition.

What I think I learned the most was my teamwork. I learned to not always use my ideas, and not to take charge too much. I let other people use ideas, though I did share my ideas too. I got a lot better at my improv skills, and as this was my first time competing in Destination Imagination, I learned what this event was, and how to do well in it.

My teammate’s blogs!

Sydney’s blog

Silas’s blog

Gwenyth’s blog

Frankie’s blog

Here’s a video of our performance!

As always, thank you for reading my latest post, and I will see you in the next one!

Debugging is Like Being the Detective in a Crime Drama, But you are Also the Murderer

Hi everyone!

Today I am talking about our latest project, which was all about coding, the the Kinetic Molecular Theory. We learned about the KMT, then created a video game to show our skills in Scratch!

My Game (I won’t tell you what it’s about in the intro)

At the beginning of this project, we learned about the Kinetic Molecular Theory, or KMT for short. The KMT is all about how atoms react to energy and heat. We did lots of worksheets to make sure we knew what we were talking about, before we learned how to use Scratch.

Scratch is a free website that let’s kids learn how to code games, animations, and lots more! Our teacher didn’t teach us Scratch, so we learned it on our own. I started making my game, then I realized I didn’t know what I was doing. I made a few easy games that I learned from tutorials, then I started making my game, for real this time.

My game

My game explained the Kinetic Molecular Theory, while still offering a well-made game that is fun and addictive. You are a little atom (Bohr Model) who wants to reach the nucleus, but there are electrons that you have to avoid that might hit you. You want to reach the nucleus as many times as possible, without touching the electrons and the other randomly moving atoms. Each time you hit the nucleus, you get a point, and everything speeds up, making it harder. When you hit an electron, your score will go down by one (except if you are at zero), but not if you hit a randomly moving atom. You try to get to 10, then you Β win! This game is very hard, and requires both luck, skill, and precision to master. I can say that this game is possible. If this game seems fun, you can try it out with this link!

Link to my game!

Curricular Competencies:

I think that I used all class time efficiently and effectively, I had no distractions during the project. I also demonstrated a sustained curiosity about the topic. For example, I didn’t know how to use Scratch very well and I wanted to learn more about it, so I asked a few people to teach me more, and watched a few tutorials on how to create games on Scratch.

In my game, I showed a sophisticated understanding about the topic, and I showed that in my game. I showed the Bohr Model of the atom, both as a complete image, and up close as well. When you get to a certain point in my game, it will teach you part of the kinetic molecular theory and the atom. Each time you pass a level, more energy and heat get added, making everything move faster.

I created a very addicting, entertaining, yet skillful game in Scratch. Before this project, I had zero clue what Scratch was or how to use it, and now I know a lot more than I did before the project began. This game requires a lot of skill and precision to do well in, and requires timing, coordination, and a lot of luck to complete. My controls (arrow keys) are very easy to use and understand, as it is stated in the description of the game.

Thank you so much blog readers for reading my latest blog post, and I hope you have a great day!

I Know What a Triptych is and How to Spell It

Hi blog readers!

In today’s blog post, I will teach you about both our last project, and some very interesting new information I have learned with it, including SuperImposeX, and triptychs!

This project was all about connecting renaissance art, concepts, people, and inventions to more contemporary concerns. We made a final triptych to show all of what we had learned in the end. Read to the end to find out what I did!

You, the reader, may be wondering what a triptych is. A triptych is a three-panelled piece of art or information, and has been used since the Middle Ages! I learned all of this during our renaissance project. In this project, we learned how to use an app called SuperImposeX, an app mostly used for graphic design, but you can use it for other things as well, such as adding effects to photos, or making triptychs!

The school of Athens

We started this project just before Loon Lake, where we compared societal structures, and completed a re-enactment of a Middle Ages court. When we got to Loon Lake, we determined historical significance by a NAME chart, which stands for Novelty, Applicability, Memory, and Effects. You can decide what is historical significant based on how new, or novel, this information was, how this information could be used in the world, how people remember it, and the effects it has had in the world. We could use these name charts for our final paragraph later in the project.

Creating connections was very helpful when we got to our triptych, so we learned how to make them with the evolution of the telephone. We then learned how to use some basic SuperImposeX tools. After, we looked at and started working on the final product. We decided on a person, invention, idea, and a piece of art that we thought was the most influential of the time period.

I chose Petrarch for my person, Leonardo da Vinci’s Armoured Car for my invention, the Silk Road for my idea, and the School of Athens for my piece of art, all for varying reasons that helped shape our society as we see it today. We also had to write a final paragraph about who we thought was the most influential of the whole renaissance, so I said Francesco Petrarch, who is credited both for starting the renaissance in Italy after finding Cicero’s letters, and inventing the idea of Humanism.

My Triptych!

Thank you for reading my blog post, and I hope you have a great day!

Loon Lake eBook

Hi blog readers!

I think you are wondering what this link is at the bottom, and I will tell you now. It’s a book! More specifically, and eBook! This book is showing my experience at a resort I went to with my class, Loon Lake!

Loon Lake is an overnight camp area owned by UBC, where people can come to spend some time either for fun, or with your school/education to learn.

Loon Lake was overall, ok. I liked the change in learning, it was a nice difference from the regular day, so I liked it in that way. I liked how all the classes were in comfortable, different areas, and that we didn’t just sit in a room all day, we actually did things, played games and went outside. I liked the battle archery and the laser tag, I hadn’t played laser tag in YEARS, and I have never tried battle archery, and they were both really fun!

I hope you enjoy!

Learning Advance 2022

Here are a few photos that I want to add!

𝔻𝕀 π”Ήπ•π• π•˜ ℙ𝕠𝕀π•₯! | (β€’ β—‘β€’)|

Hi blog readers!

I know you have been expecting my last cyclocross post out of five, but instead, I am going to write about Destination Imagination!

DI

Destination Imagination is a team challenge that happens all around the world, with challenge categories such as technical, fine arts, even improvisational! If you compete, you make your solution to the challenge, and show it off to the judges in your regional competition. If you win, you move to the provincial competition. If you win that, you make it to the nation competion, etc.

I am in the improv category, and our challenge is to improvise a skit about someone trying to achieve a goal at a festival, with a fork in the road in the middle. This fork in the road will be random, but we have to use it in the skit in some way, shape or form.

FORK in the road!

So far, I have gotten a lot better at my improv and my acting. I have never really done improv until this challenge, and I am now much better than I was before. I would say the same thing about my acting, I am a lot better now than I was before this challenge.

Thank you blog readers for reading this post, and I will see you in the next post!

My Grade 8 mPOL!

Hi everyone! In today’s mPOL, I will be talking about what has been happening throughout this past half-year. Since we have three PLP classes, there is a lot to talk about! I am in grade 8, so this is my first year in PLP, and my first mPOL, so I had a lot of improvement in the past four months.

mPOL

In humanities this year, we did three projects. One about advertising, one about the classic novel the Outsiders, and one about poems. In the advertising project, Medium is the Message, we learned about advertising, working with our iPads to create our own advertisement, for an actual company in Deep Cove. We mostly used Canva to make our ads, because it is an amazing app to make posters in.

Here’s an example!

This was our first big project, so it was one of the first times I was using my iPad. One of the biggest things I grew on this year was my technology skills. My technology has improved by a considerable amount throughout the year, learning new tricks about the iPad, like how to take better photos, how to draw better with Sketches Pro, how to use Canva to make better posters/advertisements, and even how to use Keynote to make better final products!

Good call, my young IPADawan

In maker, we learned how to use the iPad a lot better. For example, at the start of the year, we had some classes focused on how to use Showbie and Basecamp, the two apps we use the most with our iPads. In late November and early December last year, we learned how to draw with our iPads in Sketches Pro, and take better photos with the professional camera in the iPad using very good tips and tricks that I didn’t know before. Taking these photos, we also learned how to edit them to make them look even cooler! Using apps such as Snapseed, we could add cool effects, or take things out of the photo using magic eraser!

What you can do with Snapseed!

Another project we did in maker this year was all about becoming a PLP learner. We made user manuals to let people know about who we were, made Memojis (yes that’s a thing) of ourselves, and presented all of this to the public through a walk-through presentation, where you could stop by someone’s final product and see what that person is all about!

My Memoji

At the start of the school year in scimatics, we did a project that involved watching our screen time, and used fractions to represent it. We used numbers for our calculations, and used some cool tricks that helped us out a lot, like how numbers can automatically find the mean/medium/mode of a row for you.

What you can do with Numbers

One of the main things that I have improved on throughout this past half-year is my blogging. Since I started PLP, my blogging has enormously improved. Even my first blog post to my most recent cyclocross post has a massive improvement! At the start of the year, we learned that we were going to make a blog, and with no clue how to make one, we learned how to make a good blog post, with links, photos, even how to cut paragraphs and make them short!

Here’s a link to my first blog post

Here’s a link to my latest cyclocross blog post!

You can really tell the difference, even from the title!

We also learned how to make our blog posts short and sweet with our latest project in maker. This project was all about getting better at blogging so that I can blog like a boss. This was a four-part series where we blogged about one topic that we really liked, and wrote short blogs about that topic, going in-depth about what it is and why we like it.

Here’s me!

There are two massive things that I learned from this past half-year, controlling the iPad, and blogging. I think these two things helped me a lot throughout this half-year, and it will definitely help me out for the next half-year! Thank you for listening to my mPOL, and I hope you have a great day!

Have a great day!

My eBook! FAST POETRY

Hi blog readers!

Today I will be sharing with you a poetry book that I have been working on for a while now. In humanities, we have been working with words, also known as making poems. We have made all sorts of poems, from personifying worldview, to telling my favourite food, to even using other people’s work and remixing it to make new meaning!

Enjoy the poetry book!

FAST POETRY

Cyclocross! -Part 4-

Hello again blog readers!

In my fourth blog post about cyclocross, we are going to talk about why I love cyclocross so much. Some people may wonder why I love doing multiple laps on a hilly muddy course in the pouring rain, and this post will be talking about that!

One of the first reasons why I love cyclocross is because I have been doing it for most of my life. When I was really young, I would watch my dad race and I would do the little kid races. When I turned seven, I did the actual races against twelve year olds. Since then, I have been racing cyclocross competitivly.

My second reason on why I love cyclocross so much is because I love the rain and the mud. Now you may be wondering, why do you love the rain and mud so much? And to that I would say, good question! i love the feeling of rain and mud, it make the race so much more exciting and fun to race as well!

The last reason why I love why cyclocross so much is because of how technical the course is. I love all the sharp turns, the barriers, the sand pits, and the run ups, it makes the race more fun, and suits me very well.

Thank you blog readers for reading my fourth blog post on why I love cyclocross so much, and I will see you in the last post in this series!

Here’s the last few posts!

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3