Photographing Photographs (Not Literally)

Hello again blog readers, and welcome back! It hasn’t been that long since I finished my last project (Tectonically Correct), and we are marking the halfway point of another one! This project from Maker, was all over improving skills! One of the groups, the group I was in, was all about photographs, photographing, and photographers. One major photographer, the photographer this part of the project was, was named Fred Herzog. We learned about him through Basecamp, and we learned about him at the start of the project to learn about his style of photography, looking at his photographs, which looked like they weren’t made, but just taken at random parts of the city, while still looking really good and powerful. This taught me that a picture doesn’t have to be in the perfect position to be an amazing shot.

Throughout the project, we had five major targets we wanted to achieve to become better photographers (hint: it worked!).

Skill one: Composing Composition. This first skill helped us with our basic skills and understanding of taking photographs. Us, on our way to becoming photographers, took photos of everyday objects, using unique angles, backgrounds, and foregrounds to really make that object almost come to life! This really helped us get a basic understanding of photography with the iPad. Next, we went on a photo walk to practice these skills around the school. Here are some of mine!

Then, we made our photos actually come to life with mark up! We took an everyday object, then use the markup tool in Photos to show our creativity. I think mine is really cool!

Skill two: Adjusting Angles. This made us think or extremely odd and cool angles that could show something intresting about a person (in this case). We took portraits of other people with those camera angles, making us look more intresting. Our final photo we took a sillouette of someone, something we just might use in the future!

Skill three: Manufaturing Mood. This one was the biggest skill we had learned so far, even though this one target we had to achieve involved multiple skills. Our first lesson we learned though us how to use landscapes to make different types of photographs, including panoramas. We learned how to make photos look dramatic, bright, etc. so that we could make photographs more interesting, and become better photographers. We learned how to use some insane photographing apps, including Snapseed and Pixelmator Photo. Here’s an example!

After

Before

Then, as a challenge to practice all of these skills together, we were given an emotion, and had to make a photograph showing that emotion. Mine was surprise, and I thought I did a great job editing it to make the photo look extremely dramatic. Here it is!

Surprised!

Skill four: Creating Collages. This skill was partially like the Memojis we made earlier in the year! We made a name using letters we could find around the school, sometimes in very creative ways! We did this to practice our creativity, and our skills with Keynote (cropping, instant-alpha, etc). Here’s mine!

ANDREW

Next, we made a collage, like the Memoji, that showed ourselves and our interests to refine the skills we learned previously in Keynote. This was really fun, as I got to show what I like to do, and have fun using Keynote with Instant-Alpha, borders and leading lines!

A Collage of ME

Skill five: Molding Movement. In this last skill, we learned how to make GIFs to show all of the skills we had learned beforehand. We learned how to use bursts and live photographs to make photos seem live and in the moment, to make us better photographers. This really helped us improve our skills because we could hold down the shutter button (a piece of vocabulary we learned) and take some action photos! We also learned how to use Live Photo to make a GIF to show some of the skills we had learned in the past four skills. Then we went with a partner to make a GIF ourselves!

I know GIFs don’t work in my blog, but you’ll have to trust me that it’s good!

If the end goal was to improve my photography skills, I think that target was a bullseye! From all of the skills we learned, I think I took away tons of skills, including how to make GIFs in Photos, many new camera angles to try to show a part of something/someone, and overall just a better understanding of my skills on the iPad. Thanks again blog readers, and I hope you learned something from this post as well!

Tectonically Correct (Sort of)

Hi blog readers!

Today I will be telling you all about my newest finished project!

This project dealt with tectonic plates and percentages and probablilty. We had to make a board game that used those two areas.

To start off this project, for two weeks, we just did some science worksheets, learning about tectonic plates, naturals disasters, and what causes continents to move apart from each other. Here’s an example!

Next, we did a small amount of probability. Not in worksheets, but all together, figuring out the probability of dice rolling and card picking, or even a mixture of both! Once, we even used an automatic dice roller app to get some insane numbers of rolls, with Makai even getting to one million rolls!!

When we finally got to making our project, we made a MindMap to put down our thoughts on tectonic plates, and ideas for our game. I had some questions, which we answered later on in the project.

My MindMap!!

I was in a group with Owen and Jupiter (check Owen’s post here and Jupiter’s post here), and, after some ideas, we came up with a good ideas. The game was really complex, but easy to understand when you played it. Here are the Game Rules.

After we finished making the game, we tested ours and each other’s games in a peer critique. This was very fun, since we got to play board games that other people made, and test out ours as well!

Here’s the map of the game!

I think that, after completing this project, that probability can play a big part in this game, and so can science, if incorporated properly. Thank you blog readers for reading this blog, and I hope you learned something today!

How Does What We See, Read, and Hear Influence Us?

Hi blog readers!

In this blog post, I hope to answer how what we read, see, and hear influence us!

To answer this question, we need to go back to the start of the project, where we launched our project.

At the start, we did lots of activities even before we met our businesses and started making our ads. We did activities like Historical Perspective, where we chose an old ad and explained it using questions given on a sheet in Pages. We also watched Welcome Home, an ad for the Apple HomePod, and answered a few questions about it.

Historical Media Analysis Template

Then we moved over to Building Knowledge, where we did even more activities, including meeting our businesses and reflecting on them with a teacher. We also learned about the media triangle and some media definitions.

Advertising Techniques

Another part of Building Knowledge was about meeting our businesses and talking to a professional advertiser, someone by the name of Derek Hepburn. He taught us a lot of great tips and tricks we would all use when we got to making our ads in develop and critique. My business was Deep Cove Music.

When we got to develop and critique, we got a design principles workbook in Keynote for us to work on where we learned about where to put photos and text, and practiced doing so. Next, we made a mood board to show ideas for our ad, just a way to brainstorm how we would make our advertisement.

My Mood Board!

Then we got to finally making our ad. First off, we made first drafts on our own, my ads are down below on the slideshow. We used our advertising techniques that we learned from Mr. Hepburn and rough ideas of what to make for our ads from our business, DCM. After making Β multiple drafts of multiple advertisements on our own and did a reflection on them, we moved onto making ads with our group (check them out down below!).

To make our group ad, we decided to use the best individual ad, and base it from there. We made an okay ad, but then we met Mr. Hepburn again, but this time he talked to us and made suggestions on what to do, and we definitely followed those suggestions (as you can see with the difference between our first group ad and our second group ad on the slideshow)!

To answer the driving question of the project, everything in advertisements, from the text font to where the picture is compared to the text, makes an advertisement from good, to an ad that will catch the eye of tens of thousands of people across the globe. What we see, read and hear can influence us in our daily lives from just what we eat for lunch, to what realtor you might use to sell/buy a home. Thank you blog readers for reading my blog post, and I hope you learned something!

• Working with this logo was difficult because background remover on Canva, the platform we used to make our ads, kept not working.

P.S. Check out my friend’s work here! Judah, Dylan, Caitlin, Max, Jupiter