Is the Bible A Self-Help Book?

I lied in the title. Sorry. I couldn’t think of anything better that would make this post seem intriguing. The topic of the day is self-help.

Don’t like something about yourself? Don’t worry, we have a solution for that.

Has life lost its luster lately? You’re constantly bored, your skin is dry, and your boyfriend is ghosting you? You may be suffering from lameness. 

Hundreds of billions of people around the globe suffer from this affliction every year to no end. Some symptoms include: nausea, upset stomach, diarrhea , increased interest in astrology, LSD-like hallucinations, baldness, using Reddit. But it is not just limited to this.

Leading experts are working around the clock to combat this epidemic. But before you get your panties in a knot, let us tell you that we may have found a solution. 

Introducing: 

Some book! Written by some guy! Who is qualified to tell you because he did something. For just $24.99 you can cash in on that guy’s expertise and make it big yourself!

Because how do we fix lameness? By just doing better.

So that’s what I did. I read a self-help book. I did better. I am a changed woman. Thank you, Yuval Noah Harari.

To set the stage for the self-improvement project we completed the following:

• An updated resume 
  • A personality test
  • An author biography
  • A miniature book review
  • An artifact

My resume

The good: It became much more concise. Since, I have applied for another job with my new resume. Needless to say it went well, definitely because of the upgrades made.

The bad: I don’t have any awards. Not that it is necessary, I just think it would be really cool to have enough awards to make a whole awards section. It could be like a big “up yours” to all of my future employers, which is the relationship that I want to have with my benefactor.

The ugly: I handed it in late (surprise).

Personality test

The good: I have a personality ?

The bad: It doesn’t tell me anything definitive 

The ugly: MBTI was created to measure cognitive patterns, not your personality. How well can a non-personality test test your personality in 50 questions?

Author biography

The good: I put a lot of effort into making the ideas cohesive, which is why I think it is visually illustrative. It is also very in-depth, so I think that I accomplished the parameters of the assignment well.

The bad: While being transported into a PDF format, I lost the links which I had intended to lead the user between the different pages of the presentation. I can see how if it weren’t interactive, it would be difficult to navigate. A simple solution to this problem would be putting it into an app other than keynote which could have been embedded into my blog.

The ugly: This assignment was also late.

Book review

The good: A good amount of information was condensed into 600 words. I am very good at going off on tangents, so I am proud of how I inquired more concisely than usual.

The bad: It would have been easier to read if I had structured it.

The ugly: No one at the exhibition seemed to be interested in reading the book review.  I think that this aspect of the project was more for the understanding between the student and the teacher, but I am unable to function without validation so one may imagine that this was hard on me.

Artifact

The good: It was cool. It was fun. We had a good time. Yeah, it was great. 

The bad: Not pretty. It would have helped if I had duct taped it fully, but the “clocks” kept falling out. Because they were made from pie tins, they made a noise when they fell. I kind of liked that. It was like a theme song for my failure.

The ugly: It wasn’t solved, so no one got the final prize. I would prefer not to reveal what the final prize was, as a ship must sink with the captain. I wouldn’t even make sense without context, context only revealed through the puzzles.

I thought that the best representation of my effort in this project came from the book review. I analyzed and I critiqued adequately.

If I could change anything about how this played out, I would have started my artifact earlier. This way, I could have made it more sustainable/reusable.

Something that I will take away from this is that I need to involve myself more in life. I would rather experience mistakes than sit back and laugh at people who do. I knew this before, but I didn’t understand it. Does that make sense?

This article was written by ally