Seycove Secondary Community High School Project Humanities Social Studies English History Pandora’s box Myth Contrasting Stories of Hope With the Help of Post-Kantian Philosophy

This is my final blog post. Ever. Of all time.

Question: what can we learn from individuals or groups that have faced adversity.

My answer: Do not have hope.

I know, that’s dark and unfortunate. But here is the thing: that is not what I actually think. We all know that hope is the factor that which connects people to the good. Not only does it sustain positivity, it influences actions. That is why I was curious about what would happen if I argued the opposite.

We all know the myth of Pandora’s box. Pandora is fashioned by the gods to be a reckoning for Epimetheus, the brother of Prometheus in return for the inconvenience created by teaching humans how to stoke a fire. Pandora is a woman who was made of out clay by Hephaestus, had life breathed into her, and was then personified through the talents of the gods such as beauty, creativity, and most importantly curiosity. Before depositing her on earth, Zeus gifts her with a box on the condition that she “never opens it.” Pandora marries Epimetheus blah blah blah. One day her curiosity gets the bets of her and she opens the box. Unbeknownst to her, the box contains all earthly evils from hatred to violence to gonorrhea. This is where I need to mention that this plane as quite clever. Epimetheus didn’t need to do anything and now BOOOOOM Pandora opens the box and in a round about way the gods didn’t even do anything. She did. And he did because he chose to marry her. But then he also didn’t because did he really have free-will if she was fashioned by gods who him better than he knew himself?

Anyway, this is where the story gets interesting. All of the evils have escaped from the box (or the jar, if you are going off of the Hesoid poem) but hope remains. No, elpis remains. Was the jar shut just in time so that hope was preserved, or was the box shut preventing hope from taking action? Was hope in the box to counterbalance the other evils and preserve humankind, or was hope the worst of the evils because it prolongs the torment of man as Friedrich Nietzsche said.

I took the approach that hope was the worst of all evils but it is deceptive. So I made a trailer on iMovie for an imaginary shopping channel that is trying to sell Pandora’s box.

My research was based off of articles and books published about 19th-20th post-kantian philosophers, mainly Kierkegaard, Camus, Nietzsche, and Schopenhauer.

Final blog post. Ever.

Ok bye.

3-00 Time to Shop Holiday Special Edition Releases Presents: PB 700 BC – SD 480p

This article was written by ally