Hydrogen iodine electron vanadium erbium yttrium oxygen neon! Or shall I say, hi everyone! Welcome back to another scimatics portfolio post. This time around, we’re putting a bit of a spin on things as we dive into everyone’s favourite field of science, chemistry. I say that with a bit of an edge in my voice only because, chemistry is confusing for the most part. But like always, I’m up for a challenge and believe me, this project was amazing race worthy!
Project Plan & Milestones:
The first component in completing this project was gaining an understanding of not only our task, but also the basics of chemistry as a base for our learning. We started out like anyone would, with Kahoots! Believe me when I say that these definitely helped me. I’m not typically someone who can read a text and automatically have an understanding of the topic, especially in science and math. With the Kahoots I could pick up on patterns, concepts, and vocabulary used in chemistry. To further our understanding we did some readings and practiced identifying elements, polyatomic ions, multivalent metals, formulas, and both ionic and covalent bonds. Soon enough we began practicing our animation skills, and for most it was simply building upon hat we had already learned. As we got into making our final animations, we began to properly demonstrate ionic and covalent bonds through characterizing polyatomic ions, multivalent metals, and covalent bonds and clear and concise voice overs.
The big idea for this project comes as; The electron arrangement of atoms impacts their chemical nature. With our driving question asking us, “how to atoms and ions act like characters,” we answered this in an animated video. My understanding of the bid idea is that atoms bond and act differently depending on the amount of electrons they brain and which shell they are situated on.
The first competency we focused on was communication. “Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon.” I believe I demonstrated and improved with this skill in creating the physical Bohr models to represent atoms, ions, and bonds. Seeing as though I think I’ve improved with this, I know that the source of said improvement is in the vocabulary that I gained.
Processing & Analyzing:
The second competency we worked with was processing and analyzing. “Construct, analyze, and interpret models and/or diagrams.” I did so in each of the milestones. Starting with the creation of of my storyboard that I constructed from the information I had already interpreted over the first couple of weeks. Physically creating and animating Bohr modes allowed for me to interpret information and analyze my work in the multiple drafts completed. On our final test, I demonstrated my ability to do each of these things with my knowledge of chemistry. Finally, in watching my classmates animations, I had to once again interpret their message and analyze how the were choosing to represent it.
Questioning & Predicting:
The final competency was questioning and predicting. “Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.” I think the best example of this is my use of cases time. While it’s something I can undeniably improve at I think that in comparison to my other projects this year, I did a decent job. Not to down myself, only to admit to having some room for improvement. This is something of. A goal for the next project we do in this class and I’m setting out to do my best next time around. Other than class time, my final video is another example of this competency. I’m rather proud of the final product and I believe it’s a good, if not the best way of showing my full understanding now, in comparison to the beginning of this project.
Overall this project has been a point of interest and while I found some aspects of it difficult, I know now that I can understand and demonstrate my learning and knowledge of chemistry!