Primary Concert

December 16, 2014 | School Days  |  Leave a Comment

IMG_1547This afternoon we had a wonderful primary concert, and we are getting ready for another performance this evening.

We are lucky people when we get to hear our students sing their holiday songs. Their voices filled the gym with magic, and there was a bit of laughter when one of our Kindergarten students yelled “Daddy!” after everyone went quiet.

When a school’s staff decides to put on some form of performance prior to the holiday season, they really are committing to a lot of extra work. Hours are spent selecting songs, organizing tickets, getting costumes, practicing singing, setting up the gym, etc. It takes many hours to put on a show. Thank you staff. You are amazing people.

We also get help from many places. Our grade 7 students were awesome. They helped with so many things, and we could not have done it without them. Thank you: Sydney, Katrina, Matthew, Cameron, Cassandra, Mireille, Mina, Megan, Maddy, Georgia, Charlotte, Mone, Fanny, Avin, Sarah, Sera, Veronica, Tiana, Alyssa,  and Grace.

Tomorrow morning we will have a third performance. This time, we will invite all our students into the gym to see our primary classes perform.

This is a magical time of the year.

Take care

A Whole Lot of Rain

December 10, 2014 | School Days  |  Leave a Comment

Wow! We have had a lot of rain today. I thought it rained a lot yesterday morning, but today appears to have a lot more water coming down.

We did call an inside day today. We do not call a lot of inside days here at Cleveland. We live on the Wet Coast, and we should be ready to be outside in the rain. We did go out for recess break, but the option was given to stay in the classes during the lunch break. Some students went outside, while most stayed in their classrooms. The knitting club was using the library, and the primary yoga club was in our small gym. The grade 7′s spent the lunch break setting up the large gym for their craft fair.

Things are calm right now. Students are in class, and the rain seems to have slowed down. It will be busy after school though.

If you can come by at 3:00 pm to see our craft fair, the grade 7 students would love to sell you wonderful things.

Take care

Making Movies

November 27, 2014 | Principal Thoughts  |  Leave a Comment

There are many students making movies around the school using the school iPads. From what I am hearing, their priorities are:

1. Find a quiet place to film
  2. Collaborate on the script and production values
  3. Assign roles to the teams of four or five students
  4. Film each other as per the script
  5. Ensure there is enough material recorded to make the blooper film for the end.

Actually, from the sounds of a few groups, I think that the blooper film might be the first priority for many groups. :)

Having fun while working cooperatively. What a great idea.

Take care

Using Pictures

November 26, 2014 | Principal Thoughts  |  Leave a Comment

ClevCollageAs I wander around the school, I carry my iPhone with me and snap pictures of the many different activities I see. A lot happens in a typical week, and sometimes a picture can assist in telling stories.

Letter Beads – in one of our Kindergarten classes, students today were having to sort out beads and find the letters N, O, P, Q, R, S, T and make a bracelet out of them. Letter recognition takes time to learn. These students did an excellent job, and are learning how to say the letters in French. Thank you to the parents for donating to the enrichment fund that allows teachers to be creative and buy classroom supplies like these beads.

Growing Plants – in one of our grade 2/3 classes, students have partnered up to create mini terrariums. The are sitting on a counter top facing East. I am curious about how much growth will occur over the next few weeks.

The Giver project – one of our grade 6/7 classes read The Giver (by Louis Lowry) and created many interesting projects to demonstrate their understanding of the book. One project featured a hand-crafted house.

Creative Students and iPads – we have several students making use of iPads to create movies to teach concepts or to celebrate learning. Michelle is using an iPad camera to  record her classmates who are acting out the script they wrote. Thanks PAC for funding the purchase of our iPads.

Half a Basketball – a few weeks ago we had a basketball blow up. One of our grade 7 boys slammed the ball on the gym floor, and “BOOM!”, it exploded. No one was hurt, but we were all surprised. The two halves became a prop for some fun. We are working on getting a replacement ball.

That’s all for today.

Take care

Kindness Day

November 13, 2014 | School Days  |  Leave a Comment

Thanks to Charlotte and Kristen for sharing the following with our school today over the public address system.

Today we celebrate World Kindness Day.  We want Cleveland to celebrate by demonstrating acts of kindness towards everyone.

Kindness starts with me. I can make a difference by demonstrating kindness at all times. We can all make a difference.

Here are a few quotes to help you get ready for being kind every day:

“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” ~ Mark Twain

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” ~ Aesop

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou

Today we challenge Cleveland students and adults to demonstrate kind acts daily.

• Kindness in actions
  • Kindness in words
  • Kindness in thoughts

Let’s make every day World Kindness day at Cleveland.

Let’s all model the way and be role models for the children. Can we help make everyday a Kindness day?

Take care

keep looking »