Making Movies

November 27, 2014 | Principal Thoughts  |  Leave a Comment

There are many students making movies around the school using the school iPads. From what I am hearing, their priorities are:

1. Find a quiet place to film
  2. Collaborate on the script and production values
  3. Assign roles to the teams of four or five students
  4. Film each other as per the script
  5. Ensure there is enough material recorded to make the blooper film for the end.

Actually, from the sounds of a few groups, I think that the blooper film might be the first priority for many groups. :)

Having fun while working cooperatively. What a great idea.

Take care

Using Pictures

November 26, 2014 | Principal Thoughts  |  Leave a Comment

ClevCollageAs I wander around the school, I carry my iPhone with me and snap pictures of the many different activities I see. A lot happens in a typical week, and sometimes a picture can assist in telling stories.

Letter Beads – in one of our Kindergarten classes, students today were having to sort out beads and find the letters N, O, P, Q, R, S, T and make a bracelet out of them. Letter recognition takes time to learn. These students did an excellent job, and are learning how to say the letters in French. Thank you to the parents for donating to the enrichment fund that allows teachers to be creative and buy classroom supplies like these beads.

Growing Plants – in one of our grade 2/3 classes, students have partnered up to create mini terrariums. The are sitting on a counter top facing East. I am curious about how much growth will occur over the next few weeks.

The Giver project – one of our grade 6/7 classes read The Giver (by Louis Lowry) and created many interesting projects to demonstrate their understanding of the book. One project featured a hand-crafted house.

Creative Students and iPads – we have several students making use of iPads to create movies to teach concepts or to celebrate learning. Michelle is using an iPad camera to  record her classmates who are acting out the script they wrote. Thanks PAC for funding the purchase of our iPads.

Half a Basketball – a few weeks ago we had a basketball blow up. One of our grade 7 boys slammed the ball on the gym floor, and “BOOM!”, it exploded. No one was hurt, but we were all surprised. The two halves became a prop for some fun. We are working on getting a replacement ball.

That’s all for today.

Take care

Kindness Day

November 13, 2014 | School Days  |  Leave a Comment

Thanks to Charlotte and Kristen for sharing the following with our school today over the public address system.

Today we celebrate World Kindness Day.  We want Cleveland to celebrate by demonstrating acts of kindness towards everyone.

Kindness starts with me. I can make a difference by demonstrating kindness at all times. We can all make a difference.

Here are a few quotes to help you get ready for being kind every day:

“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” ~ Mark Twain

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” ~ Aesop

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou

Today we challenge Cleveland students and adults to demonstrate kind acts daily.

• Kindness in actions
  • Kindness in words
  • Kindness in thoughts

Let’s make every day World Kindness day at Cleveland.

Let’s all model the way and be role models for the children. Can we help make everyday a Kindness day?

Take care

I have it. I have writer’s block.

I tried to write a blog a few times this week, but I keep having trouble finding something to write about.

I feel like one of my students who sit in class and have to write a journal.

“I don’t know what to write about!” the student may say to the teacher.

“Write about your day.” is the calmed, measured response.

“What can I say?”

To which a teacher may reply, “Just write whatever comes to mind.”

Ok. I’ll try that. Here is my blog.

World Series. Game 7. Looking forward to it. I want to see a good game from both teams.

NBA is back. The Spurs won yesterday. I’m happy. Steve Nash is out for the year. I’m sad.

Great to see so many parents in the school for parent/teacher conferences.

I think the crows would like more children to drop food at recess, but I am happy to see so many students using the garbage cans.

Traffic issues sometimes keeps me in school longer than I planned.

Some days it’s nice to have Advil in the desk.

Pogs create “interesting” learning experiences – I tweeted this earlier. Please follow us (@dwbeveridge, @leslie_mcguire & @ClevelandEcole).

Back to the World Series – I want the Giants to win. 

IMG_0585_Fotor_CollageWe have great art around our school. Very talented students.

Like these words on writing from Bob Dylan.

I am happy to have a new print (Summer Solstice II) for my office. Thanks to Artist For Kids and Jamie Evrard.

Sometimes I think I get a lot of emails, but then I realize many of you get more.

I met with the pizza petition kids. It was a great talk. I still have to follow up with the parents who organize food days.

We had a great staff collaboration session today. We discussed what is executive functioning and how to support our learners with executive functioning challenges.

I’m late. Game 7 has started. Bye.

Take care

New Bloggers

October 17, 2014 | School Days  |  Leave a Comment

We have a new group of student bloggers this year. Thanks to Sydney, Diba, Sarah, Cameron, and Oliver, we have restarted the Cleveland Elementary Blog.

These grade 7 students will be working with me to promote blogging from all students. We are developing plans to students from other grades in our blogging team.

For Cleveland students, if you have a blog idea, please feel free to email your principal or ask one of the five grade 7′s listed above. They are in divisions F01 or F02.

For Cleveland parents, please feel free to make suggestions about blogs. Our students would love ideas.

Our blog is one of the many ways we are trying connect with our Cleveland community. You can also check us out on Twitter – @ClevelandEcole, @dwbeveridge, @leslie_mcguire.

Have a  great weekend.

Take care

keep looking »