Some More Thoughts on Combined Classes

This year we have many combined classes. I had mentioned my last post, but I was not able to go into much detail about issues on combined classes. On September 9th, Chris Wejr (a principal in Agassiz, BC), wrote a blog on the topic: Will My Child Be OK In A Split Class?

Many of the questions that Mr. Wejr lists are ones I have been asked this week. I have heard parents worried about:

• their child being in the older grade in a combined class
  • their child being in the younger grade in a combined class
  • their child being separated from their best friend(s)
  • their child being with their best friend(s)
  • their child having no friends in their class
  • their child not making friends in their new class
  • their child being in small gender groups
  • their child needing to be in a straight class
  • their child wanting to be with a certain teacher
  • their child needing to be challenged
  • their child repeating curriculum from last year
  • their child not being taught the proper curriculum
  • their child needing to be engaged in learning
  • their child’s self esteem
  • their child’s anxiousness about school

Many parents have contacted myself or the classroom teachers about class placements. Parents are seeking understanding. They are trying to understand the reasons for our decisions, and want to reassure their child that the school was very thoughtful about the class placement process.

At Cleveland, we follow a similar process (as outlined in Mr. Wejr’s post) in organizing classes, and this process is published on our web site. The Cleveland staff had multiple meetings to build our classes. Discussions were thoughtful, and took into account many variables in creating balanced learning groups.

“The biggest and most valid parent concern is often about having a child’s needs met.  This SHOULD be the number one concern for parents regardless of whether their child is in a split or straight grade class.” ~ Chris Wejr

If parents have any questions about their child’s learning or how the year ahead, please start with the classroom teacher. They are available.

“The most important thing to remember is that relationships and communication are key.  If your child has an effective relationship with his/her teacher and there is effective (2-way) communication between the school and the home, your child should have a great year at school.” ~ Chris Wejr

I am proud of the work the staff did in building these classes. Thank you.

Take care.