Shore to the Core

We’ve got lots of projects that are wrapping up so here is another one, this one focused much more locally. After learning about WW2, this project was all about it’s impact it had on the North Shore locally and the events and projects that brought life to the North Shore today. 

This project was unique though, as we were making these presentations for MONOVA, the museum of north Vancouver. We were originally going to write essays on a local topic of choice, but MONOVA preferred we make it a magazine like format for all of our topics. I really liked this change because I don’t know if I would have enough information to make an entire essay. 

We started by browsing the choices using plenty of sources, but the one I felt was most helpful was on the MONOVA site itself, and contained many different events in North Shore’s history. The 2 topics that I had originally planned on doing, North SHore Rescue, and 2nd Narrows Bridge both got taken in the choosing time, which unfortunately meant I needed to find a new one that I would be interested in. After searching for a bit longer than I had hoped, I shifted gears and switched to The Shipyards, you might know the area better as Lonsdale Quay as it is a key component in that area. 

I researched 3 sources but I was having trouble finding information about it after the war. One thing I did learn though, was how important it was in the war. After much digging for sources, this one about it during the war was phenomenal. It gave me all of the info I needed for an extensive paragraph on it’s impact during the war. The post war info was harder to come by and I had to combine a few sources to get enough info to make a little paragraph. Looking back, I think it was fine as my final product looked quite good and I was happy with the work I created.  

I felt that this project was really cool as we got to know our community and neighbourhoods we live in and how they came to be. I also thought the fact that we were making it for MONOVA  made it quite interesting as it pushed us to make the final product look the best it could. 

As stated earlier, I was happy  with my zine page on The Shipyards as it was useful, and pleasing to the eye. I felt that the message and points I stated were clear and it made for a compelling read for anyone interested. I also felt that it was able to specify the importance of The Shipyards through pieces of evidence throughout its existence.