Correlation and Causation

Hey everyone, for the last month or so we have been swamped with multiple projects that were all due around the same time. One of these projects was for math and it was about correlation vs. Causation, if you don’t know what correlation and causation are let me enlighten you. Correlation is when two data points follow the same pattern they don’t need to be related in anyway. Causation on the other hand is correlation but one of the data point directly affects the other data point o follow the trend that we see in the data. Because these two are so similar they are often mixed up sometimes on purpose for the gain of individuals, but that’s a conversation for another day.

The first milestone we completed for this project was a mind map to show our understanding of the main idea. As you can see I didn’t understand as much as I would have liked to. However after I had done the research and finished the project I felt like it was much clearer now so I added to the mind map as you can see above.

For this project we also focused on learning and improving two core competencies, the first one is communicating and representing. I showed my understanding of this competency with my presentation at the end of this project. I used the images in my keynote to help communicate my findings and understanding of those findings. However I found that those images weren’t as easy to understand as I had hoped and may have made it harder for my audience comprehend.

They second competency was about applying and innovating, this was the same competency we had for the last project as well and I believe I have still done well at understanding it. I feel like I put all my time in class towards this project and trying to get it to be as good as possible. Although I sometimes had to get my partner on track we were a pretty good team and got what we had to done.

In conclusion I feel like I have learned a lot from this project like the difference between correlation and causation which is the main thing I had to take away from this. I have also learned how to present my findings in a study so that your audience completely understands what you are trying to say and I hope to use this knowledge in future projects.