MTV and SUV’s

Our class has been selected (by mr.gross) to take part in MTV’s Illest road trip of all time application. This challenge is potentially a show where groups of people are given $10,000 to plan an entertaining and eventful road trip for you and a group of people of your choice. The money we are given by MTV will go towards our vehicle and daily expenses. I chose to bring along, Adlih, Luca J, Marshall and Lucas.

Daily Expenses: 

We have three components to our daily expenses, food, lodging and baggage and MTV provided us with three choices for each component.

Food:

$200/day per person High quality cuisine

$100/day per person Healthy nutritious meals in fancy restaurants in family-style diners

$25/day per person Dollar menu items in fast food joints

Lodging:

$500/day – up to 8 people in each Luxury Suite

$100/day – up to 4 people in each Hotel Room

$25/day – up to 4 people at each campground

Baggage:

Designer Brand Luggage $300 for each person

High Quality Duffel Bags $75 for each person

Plastic Bags/ No Luggage $0 for each person

Food and lodging per day: $170

Baggage Expense: $0

Total expense equation: 170x + 0= y

Route:

Next I planned my route, since it is a road trip and we had to start it in New York, we could travel out of North America, no planes, boats or giant bridges. I decided to travel from New York to Florida to Mexico to Costa Rica and then all the way back to New York. This trip adds up to 7709.10 miles which ends up being 160 hours of travel time which may seem like a long time and of course the drive will not be all in one go.

I will drive for a maximum of 8 hours each day for 31 days, along with many stops along the way and 10 days in Costa Rica.
In order to embark on a road trip, one needs a vehicle. MTV allowed us to choose from 5 different vehicles.

I chose the Cadillac, which means that I need:

350.42 gallons of gas which costs $981.26

Vehicle Rental and Gas Equation: 98x + 981.26=y

Sponsorship:

MTV has three companies that have contacted them for product placement in the show, Coca Cola, Pepsi and Snapple have all agreed to pay the participants of the road trip to show their product.

According to this chart, Snapple would be the best sponsor for my road trip because of the amount of days I will be travelling.

That all may have not seemed like a math project at all, but truthfully, a road trip like this one suprisingly takes endless amounts of calculations and budgeting.

Off to Costa Rica we go!