Actions have Consequences

When it comes to your life you must own all of your actions. When you are at work this responsibility to your health is still just as important. In my latest unit, I have explored the important rules and regulations around workplace safety. In the rules, it states the responsibilities placed upon both employer and worker. The regulations are extensive but with a proper understanding of them, you can arm yourself to be able to protect yourself from any harm.

While learning about the rules set out by WorkSafe BC I learned one of the most critical pieces of information; you can refuse any unsafe working condition. However, with this refusal, you must follow the required steps to report and solve any dispute.

This kind of rule is something I must be familiar with in my job

This seemed easy enough but when I role played to imagine what I would do when I don’t feel safe I can see the potential for a problem. It is so much easier to just do it rather than standing up for yourself;   leading myself in potential danger that could ultimately change the trajectory of my life. The fact is that a major injury that could happen on the job is a very real prospect and is something that I need prepare for, to arm myself to ensure I am safe on the job.

This piece of art was created to convey my understanding of the worksafe unit

The main challenge associated with this unit was to create an artifact showing what we learned. I chose to pursue an artifact style of an edited image. At first, I wanted the image to show how you are responsible to stick up for yourself in order to keep yourself safe. In the end, I chose to focus my image around action and consequence.  The image would convey how important the choices you make are to your future. Before I finished the piece I made sure to add a message about understanding your rights and responsibilities. With this message, I have created a piece that conveys my learning and understanding in a simple manner.