Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

Β 

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?Β 

Throughout this year all that all the work I have accomplished represents how I have improved as a learner. In Humanities, Maker, and PGP we completed multiple projects which all show different aspects of my learning. However I feel a few projects are a better representation of my improvement so that’s what I’m going to talk about next.

Humanities:

One of the projects that I feel represents my learning the best is the Romeo and Juliet project we completed in semester one. Although I do not feel the work I completed as the final product for this project was the best, the process along the way really allowed me to step out of my comfort zone. This is when we were reading Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet and I was challenged with the task for reading Shakespearian. Although it was challenging I ended up volunteering to read many more times throughout the weeks. This seems like a small and simple thing to do but I really feel it helped boost my communication and presentation skills. As my learning plan goal for Humanities was to continue to build my communication and presentation skills. To help me achieve this goal I said that I would try to contribute in class discussions more often and volunteer to talk when I could. I feel that my contribution during this project shows how I have stuck to this goal.Β 

Maker:Β 

In maker the project I am most proud of this year is my podcast! For this project I was challenged with the task of creating a podcast to influence others for good. However, because I made my documentary project was on horses I decided to go a different path and make my podcast on social media. I chose this topic because I feel like it’s something a lot of people can connect to as today everything is online. So how did I influence others for good using this topic? Well throughout my episodes I answer the question β€œWhy are we all consumed?”. Although I could talk on and on about this project and this topic for the sake of not making this all about my podcast heres what I learned. Well first off I was able to once again continue to build my communication and presenting skills. I did this when recording my episodes and my trailer. In every episode I have one or more interviewee and as my episodes got better and I learned from my mistakes from my first episodes I was able to make my episodes more like a conversation. This not only made it more interesting but it also emphasized the different perspectives that I originally wanted to highlight. In this project I was also able to use what I have learned about digital art to create podcast art.

In Maker my goal was to continue to build my communication and presentation skills just like in Humanities. Although I thought the Maker project that would help me achieve this goal was DI, we did not end up doing DI this year so the podcasting project took that place. Because of this I wanted to make sure I put in my best effort to use my collaboration, creative thinking and my communication skills to create work that I am proud of.Β 

PGP:

Lastly we have PGP (Personal Growth Plan) which is a new subject that we have started in grade 10. As grade 10 is now coming to an end heres what I learned throughout the projects we completed. When we were first introduced to PGP with the Opportunities for Balance project. For this project one of the biggest things I took from it is what we learned about habits. To contribute to this we read Atomic Habits by James Clear. In my learning plan I talk about some habits and systems that I could use to help achieve my goals. I was able to use everything I learned when reading atomic habits in the first part of PGP to build positive habits that will improve my everyday life and steer away from the ones that don’t. I know I will definitely be able to continue to use habits like these.

The next big thing I feel has helped me not only in school but also out in the real world is the Marketing You project. In this I was able to update my resume, make business cards, and plan for a future job interview. This has really helped me plan for summer as I am looking for a part time job.Β 

Connecting the Maker podcasting project and the PGP β€œMarketing You” project was the Spring Exhibition. I think this exhibition turned out very interesting as we not only got to showcase our projects but we were also able to incorporate our business cards. For this exhibition we actually made business cards for our podcasts to go along with our personal business cards. During this exhibition I was able to switch between presenting my podcast and being at the front reception desk as our room was office themed to present our overall projects to the parents, teachers and students who came. Although we have completed many exhibitions which almost all involve presenting to parents this one in particular felt like a good step into building my presenting and communicating skills. Β 

What skills will I bring with me to grade 11?

Although throughout the year I have been able to continue to build many skills big ones that I will bring with me to grade 11 are my communication, collaboration, creative and reflective thinking skills, as well as all of the confidence I have gained while presenting to my peers and teachers.

So all of this work shows how much I have grown as I learner this year. All of the projects and field study’s I have completed this year have contributed to the learner I have become today. I am super proud of all the work that I have completed this year and although I feel some projects did better than others it was all a good learning experience. On top of that I was also able to build new connections with my classmates during the time we spent this year on field studies. Those field studies have made a big impact on the skills I’ve built that have pushed me out of my comfort zone making me the learner I am today. That concludes my grade 10 year and I am excited to continue this adventure in grade 11. Β 

– Makenna