tPOL’s – Totally Perfect Observations (of) Learning

Hello, and today I’ll be talking about my Transitional Presentation Of Learning – or a tPOL. I’m going to cover four main points:
Examples of growth
Examples of revision
Examples of hard work
My favourite project and why

So let’s get right into it.

Examples of Growth as a Learner

Growing as a learner is something every single PLP student does, in all different ways. It helps us with all our projects, and we all grow as learners whether we realize or not. Every assignment that’s a little out of our comfort does exactly that. We learn with every new experience.
And so, over the course of my whole PLP 9 year, I think that I’ve grown in my ability and comfort to present to an audience. From just standing by my Blue Sky projects at an exhibition to doing my past SLC’s, I think that I’ve definitely gotten way more comfortable at presenting. A good example of this is a few weeks ago, a group of maybe 50 teachers and Apple employees came to our school to learn more about PLP. And I was selected to go on a panel with some other students in front of all those curious teachers and just say a few quick words about one project that I did, while my teacher ran the presentation. This made me quite nervous. But, I fought down my fear, and just did what I came to do. It wasn’t much, but it got me pretty nervous. Now I think that I am more comfortable with presenting, a lot more than before.

Examples of Revision

Revision is a crucial part of PLP. After being in PLP for two years now, I now realize that if we didn’t have the revision aspect of the program, we’d be similar to “regular school.” In “normal school” you’d turn in your assignments and depending on how much work you put into your assignment, get a grade based on that. Then you move on. But that’s not how life works in the real world, you don’t get off with doing a half-decent job at something, you go back and do it well. That’s why I chose my fantasy video to show my revision skills.

Florida Films From February

When I was in later elementary school, grade 7 in specific, I went to a small private school here in north Vancouver. It was a small class and after a few assignments, I was used to being the top of my class without breaking a sweat. I did all my work on time and it got me good marks every time. And so when I got to PLP, my fantasy video assignment in particular I made my video, handed it in, and moved on. Then, when I was given it back and told I needed to revise, I was a little taken aback. This hasn’t really happened before, and I’d never had to completely redo an assignment. But, after a few more drafts, I managed to complete the assignment, and my end result was more appealing to the viewers, and better overall.  All in all revision is still new to me, and now I’m starting to see that it pays off.

Example of Hard Work

Lately in PLP, we’ve had multiple projects at once, and we’ve had to work hard. Hard work is very common to see in PLP, you can’t get a good mark without it. I think out of this year the assignment that shows my hardest work is: my Frankenstuffie Video.

Freaky Frankenstuffie

That’ll explain it, and I’ll tell you about why it took a lot of hard work. The main reason why it took a lot of work is because this assignment came from multiple classes. There were math ecology, geography and LA aspects to it. The video definitely took the most work because it was pulling all those together into one animated film, and let me tell you, animation takes FOREVER. This video came to me at the wrong time, I was just starting, and then I left on a week and a half long vacation to California, and when I cam back, my classmates were done, and starting Blue Sky. So, when I got back, I left it till later and worked on catching up other work. It was about two weeks later that I finally just got it done. It took me a long time, all the animations and information had to be perfect. I think the whole thing took me 4 hours to complete… this is definitely on the list for hard work, and I think that this drive to complete work well will help me to be a better PLP 10 student.

And to add a bit of my own touch:

My Favourite Project and Why

I think that having a favourite project is an important part to learning. It gives you a good memory of your schoolwork and helps you to try to recreate that favourite aspect to other parts of your learning. My favourite project this year is my Things I carry presentation.

The Items I Bring

I really loved this project because it was talking about something I know a lot about: Me. I also really enjoyed watching my classmates and their presentations because it allowed me to see their personalities in ways I hadn’t before. But I liked this project because I really strived for mine to be remembered. I’m not sure if that’s true, but I think it is. I really wanted mine to be funny, and go above the expectations. I included videos in my keynote because no one else had, and I thought it would help bring my presentation alive. I included some of my own funny/embarrassing photos of my friends to make my classmates laugh as their hearing what I have to say. Overall, this project was my favourite because I could really personalize it however I wanted, and it was really fun to present to my classmates.

Those are some of the examples on how I’ve become a better PLP learner, and I hope that it will be a good reason for me to be accepted into PLP 10 next year. I’m really looking forward to it,

Thanks for listening.