Advertisements

imageimageThe best chicken aroundYaquina lighthouse

Hey there guys, I’m back and this is my third post so don’t get mad. This time I am going to speak about everyone’s not favourite thing. Advertisements! But of course I will make it fun. So, enough chitchat, let’s get down to business. First of all, when I started out in this unit the only thing I knew about advertisements was that they interrupted my TV time. Now that I understand them more and the process you have to go through to make them, I respect them a whole lot more. The first thing we did in this unit was watch some good advertisements on the projector in the class room to get us in the mood. After that we had a couple of work sheets to do to help us understand them more. And then it was presentation time, yay! For a special guest Ms. Willemse brought the CEO of a very successful advertising company called The Sound. The presenter was a man named Simon Dannit, but his son went to Handsworth, boo. Anyways he talked about lots of advertisements that his company made and even showed some to us. He talked about the process of going through and making advertisements. It turns out that the most expensive part of advertising is the air time. He said that an ad in the super bowl that lasted 30 seconds cost around 2 million dollars. And in the James Bond Skyfall movie when Bond drank Heineken beer from a can it cost Heineken 25 million dollars. Can you believe that? I know I can’t.

After more research on advertisements it was finally time to make our own. We each were assigned a couple of different places in Oregon that were tourist destinations and we visited them. We used what we learned previously to create these advertisements. Throughout this whole time it was very interesting to learn about this. It was easier and easier to learn about them. Making these advertisements the two main apps I used were comic life 3 and canva. I found that these were the only two apps I needed and that they were really good for making posters and advertisements. The ad I did was so bad that….. I’m not even going to say. But I got feedback from my teacher and I made it better so that I could start getting feedback off my classmates. And then it turned really good and every body likes it. Every time I tried something to make it better I always got feedback from someone in my table group to see if they liked it before or now. I think I did a pretty good job learning through the unit the whole time. It was really fun making those advertisements and getting input off everyone and seeing how I improved over the couple of weeks we were doing it. Then we handed in our final advertisement draft and I have to say, I think I did pretty good. Overall this was a really fun unit and I learned a great deal of information from it. I don’t think that I would do anything really differently if I did this again and I’m happy with the way that my ads turned out.