Science Microscopes part one

Welcome back to my wonderful blog today for a very special blog post. The reason this is special (for me anyways) is because it is the first post I’m doing with out it being an assignment. I also think this topic is pretty fun too. A couple weeks after we got back from Winter Break we started doing a lot of things with microscopes. For one class we learned the parts of a microscope and how to use it. The second class we actually got to use them, our science teacher went into a mysterious back storage closet and brought out some slides. We got to pick which ones we wanted to look at between a blood smear, a couple of insect wings and a grasshopper head. I had never looked down a microscope before so what I saw was probably one of the most interesting things I had seen in school.   imageimage
I’m sorry for the bad pictures but it is not easy to take them looking down a microscope with an iPad. Anyway these were extremely fascinating to look at and I spent fifteen minutes looking down at them. In the first photo the long lines running through the wing are the very thin membranes that give the wing its directions. In the second photo the wing has a lot less membranes but instead it has a bunch of small dots. I did some research on these and turns out these are mostly used for camouflage against plants and other surfaces. These slides were extremely interesting to look and now I wish I could look at everything from a microscope.