Algebra tiles

This term in math we were focused a lot on algebra tiles and how we use them to create and solve problems on the tables. This was something that we had done before in earlier years of school but this was the time that we would really go into depth on learning how they are used and making it easier for us to solve equations. Our project for this unit it was to make a game that was based around the concept of the algebra tiles. This project really tested us in how we would use algebra tiles in something that could be used in a real life situation.

This unit was all about using different ways to get the same answer or write out the same question. Algebra tiles is one of the best ways to do this in math and that was why we focused so much in it. For our project this term we had to think outside of the box to find a way in which we could use these algebra tiles. Our game was based in memory and luck. Different cards are flipped over with different parts of the equations on them. You have to flip over the cards and try and match them so you can make the equation and then solve. We are making a video of us demonstrating the game actually playing it but for now here are the rules and what the game board and pieces look like.

This math unit was one that I really enjoyed mostly because of the project. It was something that I really enjoyed creating and implementing my learning into. Algebra is one of the most important math skills I think you can learn because in the future it has a lot if real life scenarios. I’m looking forward to putting these skills to use in the future and I’m very happy with the work in this unit.