Debugging is Like Being the Detective in a Crime Drama, But you are Also the Murderer

Hi everyone!

Today I am talking about our latest project, which was all about coding, the the Kinetic Molecular Theory. We learned about the KMT, then created a video game to show our skills in Scratch!

My Game (I won’t tell you what it’s about in the intro)

At the beginning of this project, we learned about the Kinetic Molecular Theory, or KMT for short. The KMT is all about how atoms react to energy and heat. We did lots of worksheets to make sure we knew what we were talking about, before we learned how to use Scratch.

Scratch is a free website that let’s kids learn how to code games, animations, and lots more! Our teacher didn’t teach us Scratch, so we learned it on our own. I started making my game, then I realized I didn’t know what I was doing. I made a few easy games that I learned from tutorials, then I started making my game, for real this time.

My game

My game explained the Kinetic Molecular Theory, while still offering a well-made game that is fun and addictive. You are a little atom (Bohr Model) who wants to reach the nucleus, but there are electrons that you have to avoid that might hit you. You want to reach the nucleus as many times as possible, without touching the electrons and the other randomly moving atoms. Each time you hit the nucleus, you get a point, and everything speeds up, making it harder. When you hit an electron, your score will go down by one (except if you are at zero), but not if you hit a randomly moving atom. You try to get to 10, then you  win! This game is very hard, and requires both luck, skill, and precision to master. I can say that this game is possible. If this game seems fun, you can try it out with this link!

Link to my game!

Curricular Competencies:

I think that I used all class time efficiently and effectively, I had no distractions during the project. I also demonstrated a sustained curiosity about the topic. For example, I didn’t know how to use Scratch very well and I wanted to learn more about it, so I asked a few people to teach me more, and watched a few tutorials on how to create games on Scratch.

In my game, I showed a sophisticated understanding about the topic, and I showed that in my game. I showed the Bohr Model of the atom, both as a complete image, and up close as well. When you get to a certain point in my game, it will teach you part of the kinetic molecular theory and the atom. Each time you pass a level, more energy and heat get added, making everything move faster.

I created a very addicting, entertaining, yet skillful game in Scratch. Before this project, I had zero clue what Scratch was or how to use it, and now I know a lot more than I did before the project began. This game requires a lot of skill and precision to do well in, and requires timing, coordination, and a lot of luck to complete. My controls (arrow keys) are very easy to use and understand, as it is stated in the description of the game.

Thank you so much blog readers for reading my latest blog post, and I hope you have a great day!