Howdy, I’m back. This Scimatics unit, we focused on learning about exponent laws. We had to make a game that revolved around exponent laws.

Curricular Competencies:

Communicating and Representing (represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms):

Our game was based mainly off of poker, just with exponent laws. Each card had a different exponent law on it, as well as a different picture of this dog for each exponent law:

His name is Nelson. He has an Instagram page as well as a website. Ok, I’m getting sidetracked. Where was I…? Oh, right.

Everybody gets 5 cards and the chips are distributed evenly amongst the players. The dealer starts the game by betting any amount they want. The players may then look at their cards and at the ranking of the laws. These are the rankings (best to worst): Division law, Distributive property law, Exponent to exponent law, Coefficient law, Multiplication law. After everyone bets, they all reveal their cards. whoever has the best hand wins the pot for that round. Whoever has the most points (points are shown on the chips) by the end of the game wins.

Example:

Fred, Sally, Joe and Mary are playing. Fred deals all the cards to everyone. He bets any amount and then everyone looks at their cards. Fred has 2 division law cards and 3 exponent to exponent cards. Sally has only multiplication law cards, Joe had 2 coefficient law cards and 3 multiplication law cards and Mary has all division law cards. they make their bets accordingly and Mary wins, since she has the best hand out of all the players. This continues until either until everyone except one person runs out of chips or if everyone just doesn’t feel like playing anymore, in which case the person with the highest amount of points wins.

Reasoning and Analyzing (use logic and patterns to solve puzzles and play games):

We made simple instructions on how players would win the round and our points system was dictated by chips. Each chip either had a 5, a 10 or a 20 on it symbolizing its value, so if you had five 20 chips and someone else had seven 10 chips, you would still be ahead of them since you would have more points.

If you were playing the game and everyone decided they didn’t want to play anymore, the winner would be decided by points as opposed to the amount of chips they have.

Applying and Innovating (Continue to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches):

I was away for a big part of this project so I did my best to stay in contact with my team and make sure that I was doing my part in the game remotely. I didn’t want to just start the project and then just up and leave halfway through it and I also would’ve gotten a terrible grade on this project if I hadn’t done anything for my team while I was away, so since I couldn’t really talk about things in person with my team, I helped design the cards and chips for the game. They went through a ton of different drafts since we changed our game around a lot, but overall, I’m pretty happy with them! Nelson also makes them better. I also did my best to stay on task and due to a seating mix-up, I was accidentally seated without anyone else at my table, and if I’m being completely honest, I think I got quite a bit more done than I would have if there was someone else at my table, since I found myself getting a little bored at times during the making of this project (at least the times when I was at school in person) and I didn’t really have the option of talking to someone at my table to cure said boredom. Even though, as I have said in previous blog posts, I sometimes find myself zoning out a little, I feel like I got a good amount of work done on this project and I stayed focused. In hindsight, if there was anything I could have changed about the game, I would’ve made the turns more centered around actually doing something with the exponent laws rather than just having them kind of exist on the cards.

Welp, that’s pretty much all I have to say. I hope you enjoyed all 744 words of this blog post and I’ll see you next time.

Bye!

Dylan.