My Oregon Coast Field Study Trip

Recently, I went to Oregon Portland for a field study trip as part of PLP Grade 8. We visited many good restaurants, and significant landmarks such as the Astoria Column and the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. I enjoyed my experiences from everywhere I went, and learned many things while I was at Oregon. 

One of the most memorable learning experience on this trip was our time that we spent in the Hatfield Marine Science Center. The whole time I was there, I was learning something new. I learned that the piece of debris at the front of the building was a piece of building from Japan that washed in because of a tsunami in 2017. I also learned how to go slurping for shrimp at low tide, as well as build R.O.V. (Remotely Operated Vehicles) to control and pick up metal object from the bottom of a pool.

Some interesting facts that I learned during this trip was how the bar is one of the most dangerous places to navigate through on water. I also learned that the jetty is a man made wall that was created during world war 2. When our group went to visit the jetties, they were rebuilding it, because it was crumbling after the years of the sea beating  against it. I also learned about why the Tilamook cheese factory was established. It was because the colonizers thought that the wet cool climate creating the healthy grass was an amazing environment to grow cows. 

My most favorite experience from this trip was going zip-lining at High Life Adventures. The staff was friendly, the nature around us was nice, and it was a very fun experience overall. I really liked zipping by the trees and over the lake, doing cool trick on the zip line and being scared by the guy in a yeti costume at the end. I think that was the most fun 3 hours of the whole trip. 

I think that this field study trip was a good experience for me, because it was the first time that I went out of the country without my parents. This experience taught me to be independent, and gave me a chance to get closer with people I wasn’t really close with, and gave me chances to get even closer with my friends. It was a great bonding experience as well as an amazing learning experience. To get a more detailed story about my trip, go and read my Oregon Field Study Journal that I have embed below!

Consequences Of Colonization 🇨🇦

Over past few weeks in Humanities, we have been learning about colonization in Canada. To show our learning, as the final product for this unit we had to make an AR Maker video talking about colonization with a group of classmates. In Keystone 1 we chose which group of people to research, and gathered all our information into a doc. For the second Keystone we started making our paragraph using the information that we had learned, and in Keystone 3 we put together our script for our video.

Keystone 1

In Keystone 1 we started our project by choosing which group of people from colonization that we wanted to research. The options were; Rich men, Poor men, Indigenous, Filles du Roi, and Missionaries. I chose to research the Filles du Roi, and had to gather all the information into one document. All of my information in the document is down below.

Keystone 2

For Keystone 2 we started forming our paragraphs on why we thought colonization was good or bad (or both), and had to use the information we had gathered to back up our opinions. I thought that colonization had a neutral affect on Canada, both good and bad. The three groups of information that I used to back up my thinking was the Missionaries, Rich men, and Filles du Roi. My thoughts on the affects on colonization along with my evidence can be read down below.

Keystone 3

In the Final Keystone was all about making the AR Maker video for the final project, because in Keystone 3 we had to put all the learning and information that we had on our group of people into a script. Then we had to combine our own scripts with our group-mates’ and had to make sure they all matched with each-other’s. My group’s script is down below, along with the video that we made. Consequences Of Colonization Video and Script

Throughout this entire unit we learned a lot about the colonization, the different groups and their impacts, as well as the different worldviews. We learned to take notes of it, form paragraphs, and learned to use AR Maker to make the video to show our understanding and learning. I really liked this unit because we got to do our own thing, and pick out our own symbols to represent our learning for AR Maker. Thank you for reading this blog post, and see you at my next one!

Mind Over Matter!! 🧠

Over the last few weeks, we have been learning about matter in Science. In Keystone 1 we learned about volume, density,  and mass. In Keystone 2 we did some experiments to learn about the different states of matter through diffusion. In Keystone 3 we learned about the atom, what it is, what it’s made of as well as how it works. We learned a lot of things in this unit that I will explain if you continue to read this blog post!

Keystone 1

In Keystone 1, we learned about volume, density, and mass. But we also learned how to measure volume, density, and mass. To measure mass, we used the triple beam balance and tried measuring the mass of different small objects. Learning to measure volume and density was not as fun, because it included a lot of math. To measure volume we had to multiply the length, height, and width of the object. To find the density of an object, we had to divide the mass by the volume. To show our learning and understanding, we had to choose and describe an object using density, volume, and mass. It was more fun then I would have expected, even though a lot of math was involved as you will see below.

Keystone 2

In Keystone 2, we learned about the different states of matter; solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Then we did some experiments with our groups on diffusion, using gummy bears in a beaker and filling it with different elements. Our group’s hypothesis was that the size of the gummy bear would affect the speed of it’s diffusion. To test that hypothesis we got two beakers and filled them with boiled water, then we got two gummy bears and drop a whole gummy bear into one beaker and the cut up pieces of a gummy bear into the other beaker. Then we wrote down our observations and put it together in a Canva slide presentation, that you can see below, along with the video and photos that we took.

Keystone 3

In Keystone 3, we had to make a video game based on the learning that we have learned about atoms using scratch. The video game that I made is based off of Mario, and I call it Atom Run! In the beginning of the game your character, the Atom has to answer a question; “How many subatomic particles are there?” After you answer the question, you proceed to finish all the levels, trying to get to the end. But make sure not to touch the electrons! When you touch the electrons, they send you back to the beginning of the level. I wanted to make the electrons the bad guys, since they are negatively charged, while the protons are positively charged. I showed my understanding of this subject through my game by adding the question at the beginning  of the game, as well as  making the characters and giving them their roles based of their roles in the atom. I really like making this video game because it was a fun experience to get to learn to code! You can try my game through this link:

Throughout this unit, we learned a lot of things about matter. We learned about the different states of matter, how to measure matter, and what makes up matter. I really enjoyed learning about all of this, and I liked the methods we used to show our understanding. Thank you for reading this blog post, and see you at my next one!!

Small But Mighty! 🦠

Small But Mighty!!!

Through out the past few weeks in science, we have been learning cells, our immune system, and vaccines that we went over using three Keystones. We have been researching the functions of cells, and our immune systems, as well as the vaccines that we put into our bodies, what their affects are, and why people would hesitate to get them. After that, we made a Public Health Poster for kids using our knowledge that we gained through this project. Now that it’s all finished, I wanted to share it with all of you! So here it is!

Keystone 1

Our first keystone was studying the cells, which we did using the microscope. We swabbed different parts of the school, and guessed which spots would have more microorganisms. I thought that the soap dispenser in the bathroom would have more microorganisms than a door window would. After we had subbed our chosen areas, we put them in a Petri dish with an agar base, and observed it for a week. Below, you will see my Cells Field Journal, with my hypothesis and results.

• My field Journal

Keystone 2

The second keystone was all about our immune system and the different kinds of cells working in out bodies. We learned about the innate (built-in) immune system, and the adaptive immune system. After we studied the different kinds of cells, we drew them and made little character cards introducing them and what they do, which you will see below.

Keystone 3

The final keystone was dedicated to vaccines. We learned about how vaccines came to be, how they worked, and the different kinds of ways they made it depending on the different kinds of virus. Then, we had to make an infographic discussing why people might hesitate to get them. We chose one myth to research, and proved if it was true or not. The myth that me and my partner chose was the government, and whether or not they were controlling you through the vaccines. Our infographic is down below.

Public Health Poster

I think that the public health poster was the most fun thing to do in this whole project. The poster had to include fun images, including some bacteria that elementary students drew, and we had to include a bit of our knowledge that we learned through out this project, as well  as a catchy sentence for the poster. I made mine through canva, and included ways you could keep your body safe and healthy, with the immune system characters as information I learned through out this project.

I learned a lot through this project like the cells, immune systems, vaccines, and more. I think that all this information will become useful for me in the future, and I was really happy that all the little assignments that we had were fun to do and easy to finish. I hope that people take a look at my projects and learn at least a few things from it. Thank you for reading, and see you at my next post!

The Travelogue Of Christopher Columbus

New Book Announcement!!

Hello everyone! I’m back with a new book that I wrote! It is what I imagine to be, Christopher Columbus’ first travelogue of when he found the Americas. It talks about how he felt about the natives, and what he might have been feeling when he finally reached land. I tried to make it look as if it really was in the mind of Christopher Columbus, so make sure to check it out!

The Most Radical Innovations of All Eras!

How Did Ideas From Europe and Asia Change the World? 🌏

Ideas from Europe and Asia changed the world by creating new innovations that helped make way for new and more improved innovations, as well as giving the past innovations the ability to evolve and be improved as time passes. In this writing, I will be evaluating on this conclusion above through out this writing, a long with the innovations through out the renaissance, the time before the renaissance, and the innovations in our world today. 

What Conclusions Can I Make on How New Ideas in the Renaissance Changed the Renaissance World? 💭

The new ideas from the renaissance have changed the renaissance world by creating many new innovations that impacted people’s educations, beliefs, and their system of living at the time. Some of those innovations include the lenses, the printing press, and the clock, like the ones that I have in my left panel of the triptych. I put the lenses in my left panel because the lenses impacted the renaissance world by helping people see things closer, whether that was to read better with glasses, studying biology using a microscope, or studying astrology with the telescope. The lenses helped scholars and philosophers in the renaissance discover new and important things in the renaissance that impacted the world, such as the heliocentric theory, that discovered that the Earth revolved around the Sun, and not the other way around. The printing press was included because it changed the speed and process of copying out books for the world. Because of this innovation, the world was able to share the books and educate faster and more efficiently. The clock is in my left panel because it helped people schedule and organize their days better, and was a big technological evolution at the time. Overall, I put those three innovations on my left panel, because I thought those were some of the key innovations that had a great impact in the renaissance world.

What Conclusions Can I Make on Traditional Ideas that People Had Before the Renaissance? 💡

The traditional ideas that people had before the renaissance shows that people back then were not as inspired, inspiring, or educated as they could have been. Some of those ideas that I put on the right panel of my triptych are the Catholic Church, the hand printing of books, and the rooster to tell time. The Catholic Church is on my right panel because I thought that the way the Church had complete power over everyone with a very biased idea was the exact opposite of how people live in the renaissance. The Catholic Church forced all people to follow the Christian religion and didn’t give them a choice. They scared people into submission by telling them they would be condemned to eternal damnation if they did not pay their tithes, or give free labor to the Church, a long with many more unfair and unjust rules. The ink and quill on my right panel represent the hand printing of books that people did before the printing press was invented. Since they did not have the printing press, they had to hand copy each book to lend them out, or make several copies. All in all, this method was inefficient, and not proficient. I put the rooster in my right panel because that was what the lower class used to tell time before the renaissance. The people would get up when the rooster crowed to go to work, and would go back home when the sun set. This method of scheduling their days wasn’t very effective, because as the seasons went by, the sun would set sooner than usual or later, and in wasn’t a very ideal method to tell time by. That is why I think these innovations show how uninspiring and uneducated people were before the renaissance. 

What Conclusions Can I Make on How New Ideas in the Renaissance Changed My World Today? ✨

The new ideas in the renaissance changed my world today by reforming the education system and creating new technology, along with medical innovations that evolved and improved over time, making my life safer, more interesting, and less biased in my everyday life. Some of the evolved and improved innovations that are a big part of my life today that are included in my center panel are the Apple Watch, new vaccines, computers, and a kindle. I put the Apple Watch in my center panel because it is a very new and improved version of telling time. It is more convenient to carry around, and I can do much more on it than just telling time. I can also make calls, text, and listen to music using it. The new vaccine is on my center panel because it’s one of the very important medical innovations in our world today, especially with COVID-19. The computer set up is included in my center panel because it’s a huge part of my life. I used to use my computer all the time for everything, and I still do. I use it to make presentations for schools, to research, and I also use it for entertainment purposes. I think that this innovation is one of the inventions that had the most impact on my life, and that’s why I felt that it was important to add in my triptych. I put a kindle on my center panel because using the kindle allows you to read several books with one device, without you having to purchase a physical copy, saving paper and ink. Kindles are a very thin and convenient tool to read with, and you don’t have to carry several heavy copies in bag for school either. I think that these innovations that evolved from the renaissance innovations help my everyday life a lot, and all have a big impact on my life. 

Conclusions

Overall, the innovations through out the ages, along with the ideas from both Europe and Asia, as well as the renaissance, impacted the world that existed at the time, and made our world into what it is today. The innovations from the renaissance grew from the innovations in the Middle Ages, and evolved into the innovations that we use in our everyday lives today. Those innovations will probably continue to evolve and improve in the future as well. We can only work harder and look forward to how these amazing innovations will change for the better (or hopefully not the worse) in the future. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Good bye!

I made this Triptych using Superimpose X and Google Arts & Culture, and made many many drafts to get to what it is now. First, I had to sketch out the whole triptych, and plan out where everything was. Then I had to find a painting from the renaissance, and edit my face into it. After that, I drew in the innovations for each panel. Finally, I used Superimpose X to edit in all the images of the innovations that I planned to put in to each of my panels. I chose to edit and crop my triptych to look like this, because this was my first time using anything even slightly similar to photoshop, and it was quite challenging making this, and I know that it could have looked better, but this was the best I could do with the skills that I have now.

• My plan of what my triptych was going to look like

I learned a lot through the process of making this triptych. I learned about all the different innovations that impacted our world and the renaissance world, I learned how to make (and not take) notes using craft, and I learned how to edit and created images using Superimpose X. And even though I’m very proud of my results, something that I would have done differently if I could do this whole project again, is to make the images in my left and right panels look more natural by making more drafts and revisions, and explore more skills from Superimpose X to make my triptych look even better than it does now. Overall, I think that my final product turned out better than I thought it would, especially since I didn’t have as much drafts and revisions as I thought I would. Thank you for reading this post, and see you at my next one!

MPOL Blog Post

I made this Slideshow to show all of my projects in her that I used as back up and evidence throughout this blog post. I’m going to be using this slideshow to not only help make my MPOL better, but to help all my other readers out there understand more clearly, and see evidence of my growth, strengths, weaknesses, and such that I have experienced throughout all of this semester. I want to come back to this blog post, as well as this slideshow that I made, to bring my past experiences from this semester to remember and improve on in the future, whether that be next semester, next year, or even in the 12th grade, when I’m hopefully still in PLP.

In this post, I will be reflecting on my experiences in PLP so far throughout this semester. I will be talking about how I met my goals that I set for myself in the beginning of the year, how I think I grew as a learner this year and how I demonstrated it, how I think I can fix my learning plan/edit it to continue to meet my goals until the end of the school year, how I plan on overcoming problems I face in the future as a learner, along with listing some of my strengths and weaknesses.

Learning Plan

In the beginning of this year, we had to fill out a learning plan document to set up goals for ourselves that we wanted to meet by the end of this semester and year. The goal that I set for myself in Maker was an extending, because I was confident that I could reach that goal for this subject. I wanted to push myself a little more in this subject because I had many strengths in this particular subject.

And I did reach my goal this semester, I think that the project that I’m most proud of that helped me get an extending in Maker was my User Manual. I was proud of this work because it was fun to make, and I had a good time writing in third person while role playing myself as a new android that my teacher had just bought.

The goal that I set for myself for Humanities was an accomplished, because I wasn’t very confident in myself and skills as a learner and my ability to get an extending in Humanities. But now I realize that maybe I should have had more confidence in myself, because I ended up getting an extending in most of my projects in humanities. One project that I was very proud of in this subject was my Middle Ages slideshow presentation. I was proud of the information that I was able to gather and put into the slideshow, and I was also very proud of the format that my slideshow was in because it was very categorized and organized to look at.

How Have I Demonstrated Growth as a Learner so Far This Year?

Something that shows I grew the most this semester are my other blog posts. I’m very proud of my blog posts, especially since it was my first ever experience using this kind of system to record my process or reflection of a project. I really enjoyed writing drafting and editing these blog posts though, and grew in my skill to accept and use peer feedback to edit my drafts and make it better than it was before. I grew in the recording and reflecting process as a learner this year through the blog posts that I had to write. While writing the drafts, it really made me think about how I did well in a specific project, or if I was unhappy with it, it helped me think about how maybe next time I do a project similar to it, a way that I can improve or do something different to feel more satisfied with my results. One blog post that really shows my growth as a learner this semester is my ‘Winter Exhibition Reflection’ blog post. I think that this post showed how well I was able to reflect on myself.

How Can I Sharpen My Learning Plan to Ensure I Will Reach My Learning Targets by the End of This School Year?

Well, I am meeting my goal for one of the learning plan, and the other I think I am exceeding, so I think I can sharpen my learning plan and plan ahead for the subject that I haven’t learned yet. I think that I can use my experience from this semester and list some strengths that I think I have in other subjects. For example, one of my strengths that can be applied to all subjects is that I like to plan ahead, and I understand directions/instruction quickly, so I can get started faster. I can also use my project planning skills to plan projects that will come in the future to be a better time manager and be less stressed in everyday school life. I think that by practicing these skills, I will be able to reach my goals, and possibly exceed them by the end of this year.

How am I Planning to Overcome Future Problems as a Learner?

If I end up with a particular project in a subject that is not my strongest suit, I plan on going to one of my peers that I know is stronger in this skill set, and ask them what they would suggest I do to be successful in making the project. For example, one of the projects that I did which included a skill set that I wasn’t very strong in was my Outsiders project. I wasn’t understanding what the reading role cards were asking me to do, and didn’t understand how I was supposed to include my worldview along with the storyline from the book into the reading role cards. So I went to my other group mates, and went to the people who had already completed a role that I was on. I asked them how they filled in their cards and how they would suggest I would use the previous chapter to fill in my card. So if I ever struggle with something like this in the future, I will go to another peer or adult and ask them for advice.

So overall, throughout this semester, I grew as a learner more than I thought I could. I learned knew skills as a learner such as planning ahead, asking peers for advice, and using keynote and other apps on my iPad to help make my presentations slideshows and drafts. Even while writing this blog post I am continuing to reflect on myself and my experience so far throughout this semester, and I can still continue to see more ways that I can improve for the next semester. I look forward to doing well and having fun in PLP as well as continuing to grow as a learner with the help of my teachers and peers. See you in my next blog post!!

Esther’s Brain Doodles

Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog post! Over the last few weeks in Maker PLP, we have been working on making digital art on our iPads using sketches pro. And to show off our work, instead of writing a blog post about it, we made it into a book to publish using book creator. If you enjoy my blog posts, or you enjoy drawing digitally, or even want to learn how to draw digitally, than you should check out my new book! Link is down below!! That’s all for now, Bye!!

Winter Exhibition Reflection

Winter Exhibition Reflection

‘What did James Cameron’s fantasy world of Avatar teach us about the real world?’ Well, that question wasn’t one that could be answered in a simple way. Everyone thought that there were way more than one answer to the driving question, but they chose one them that they thought Avatar taught us the most. We were supposed to make a model that includes a box somewhere in it that helps us answer the driving question, and record our process and progress in a launch journal. The theme that I chose was ‘the conflicts between humans and nature’. Everyone had their own takes on a theme, so everybody had to write a them statement according to their opinions on the theme that they chose. My theme statement was, ‘people enjoy the natural resources that nature gives us, but sometimes we take more than we should because of the temptations’.

Process

Their were many steps of this project that we had to get done, and the first step was to choose a theme and write a theme statement. After we had that, we had to design a prototype for our model, and plan out how we were going to include our theme statement, a box, and include a scene or an element from the movie in our model. This was my prototype:After we had the prototype, the next step was to plan out what we were going to buy, where to buy it, and when to buy it. Then it was time for building! We had a week to build our models, and to get everything that we thought we needed to get done, done. Once everybody had their boxes complete, we planned our room decoration with everyone else in our room group. Every group had a different decoration theme, and had three days to plan and decorate our rooms. Finally it was the day of exhibition. After school, everyone went to their rooms and started decorating. Around 4:30, we had dinner, and at 5:30 the exhibition doors opened for the public to come in and enjoy. After the doors closed at 8:30 everyone started cleaning up and going home.

Strengths

Something that I felt in my opinion went well during this process was the teamwork and cooperation of everybody while decorating the rooms in a short amount of time, and cleaning up after exhibition. I was very happy and impressed at the fact that everyone was able to work well together to clean up quickly and get home. I also think that everyone did really well presenting their boxes to the public, and with the social interaction that they had to engage in while presenting their boxes.

Challenges

Some challenges that I think that we faced during this exhibition process was the food and drinks that were meant for the guests. A lot of people were taking their own foods, or going to other peoples rooms taking their foods during decoration, and I think that was a really big problem. Another challenge that we faced were that some older grades were either being too bossy, or not contributing to the work at all. I feel that a lot of the rooms could have used more man power.  I think that these were some of the challenges that we faced, but something that we can overcome and improve on the next time we do an exhibition or something similar to one.

Overall, I think that this process was a fun and interesting one, and it helped us learn a lesson of cooperation, time management, and a better understanding of what the fantasy world of Avatar teaches us. Thank you for reading this blog, and I hope to see your feedback! See you at my next update!

Middle Ages Reflection

Middle Ages Reflection

‘How did the quest for power impact people’s lives in the Middle Ages?’. That was our driving question that we wanted to answer through these projects. To answer this question, we had to dive into research to fully understand the topic and the question. Then we had to make a Keynote slideshow to teach what the Middle Ages and Crusades were, and answer the driving question in the slideshows.

Process

My process for this project was a pretty simple one, because most of the information that I needed was given in a class lesson by the teacher. After I had the information that I needed to make the slides, I got straight to it. I made the overview slides first, than all the other informational slides below (including the levels of hierarchy, the church, the different perspectives, and the 3 justice courts.), along with the driving question. Then was had the peer critiques that helped me a lot, since they noticed a few mistakes that I didn’t notice. After the peer critiquing, I then fixed all of my mistakes and wrote my final copy of the slideshow. The slides below are the final products.

Challenges

The challenges that I faced through this process was not as many as I expected, since the information I needed was one that I could always go back to. One of the challenges that I did face through this process though, was the images. I used random images from google that I found, and forgot to use creative comments usage, so I had to go back, change all the images to ones that were creative comments, and sited all the images as well. I think that was my biggest challenge throughout this project, but that doesn’t mean it was my only one. Another challenge that I faced, was one that my friend found in my slides during the peer critiques. She noticed that my overview and informations were looking way too long because of the repeated information. So I had to go back and fix those, getting rid of the repeated informations and trying to put the sentences back together so that the information would make sense, which is way harder than it sounds. But I was grateful to my friend, and the slides after the editing looked way better than before. Those were some of the challenges that I faced during this project.

Importance

Why was this historical event significant enough to make a whole slideshow about? I think that this event and project was important in history, because it was a very very bad time to be alive. There was no education, or a proper government and trading system, and the fact that humanity was able to get past that and evolve into the renaissance was – in my opinion – very impressive, and worth learning about. It was also very important, because the event itself impacted so many people, and the way people viewed the world, government, and religions. The meaning of power also changed a lot throughout this event, which was a very big thing back then. The long term consequences for this event (the renaissance) lasted a long time as well, bringing good and bad impacts to history. That’s why I think this event was significant enough for us to make a slideshow about.

Future

For what I think I could have done better for this slide, I think that I could have made these slides look more aesthetically pleasing/organized, since right now, it kind of looks like a mess. In the future, if I were to do something like this again, I could make the slides look more organized, with the formation of my texts and the order of where I put my information. Something else that I think I could have improved is still be repetitive information. Even though my friend pointed out the most obviously repeated information, I still wasn’t able to fix all my repeated information, and the same information ended up being written in many different slides. Those were some of the things that I think I could have improved on, and will do in the future.

Thank you for reading this blog, and I’m looking forward to the feedback! See you at my next update!