Adventures into the Radical Renaissance!

Thesis

The Renaissance was a period of great innovation, and its advances have had a lasting impact on our lives today. Through modifications and improvements, many of the inventions and technologies from this time remain prevalent and essential in our everyday lives.

Introduction

My triptych reflects 3 different purposes throughout each panel. The left panel shows the new Renaissance innovations like the printing press and glasses, and how they changed history. The right panel shows the traditional view of the Catholic Church, with their patriarchal values and poor eyesight. The centre panel shows the adapted versions of those innovations, like the phone for communication and prescription glasses for our eyes.

Left Panel

The Renaissance saw major changes in the ways people interacted with the world and each other, such as better communication and time management, and new types of art that could express ideas more effectively than words alone. My triptych highlights the importance of the innovations of the Renaissance that are now essential in modern life. It illustrates the transformation of the printing press into a cellphone, the mechanical clock into digital time, and advances in medicine that led to effective vaccines. Without the Renaissance, our world would be much worse off, with no form of communication and more deadly viruses.

Right Panel

The traditional ideas during the Renaissance were set in place to benefit the wealthy and powerful, causing poverty and unfair taxes across Europe. Martin Luther's posting of the 95 Theses in 1517 led to the Reformation that caused a divide between Catholics and Protestants. It caused a major shift in the way the Catholic Church operated, particularly involving the sale of indulgences and the patriarchal structure of society. This shows how the Renaissance changed people to create outstanding innovations, and artwork and gives them the courage to speak up against the oppressive rules in their society.

Center Panel

The middle panel reflects on the impact of important innovations such as the printing press, medical innovations, and glasses in modern society. We take these simple things for granted not knowing how deeply they have impacted us in ways that without them, our worlds would look drastically different. It acknowledges the great value these inventions have provided and how they have shaped our day-to-day lives. We feel that these innovations are important to the world, and we must strive to ensure their continued existence for future generations.

This project highlights the influence of European and Asian culture during the Renaissance, Crusades, and Middle Ages on the world today. It shows how these periods of history led to increased critical thinking skills, the adoption of new artistic ideas, and the challenge of traditional societal norms. Their contributions have helped to shape the world we live in today and have a significant impact on modern society. Those are the concepts I have based my triptych is based on, and what all of the big ideas behind our note taking were all about.

The process of creating my triptych was trial and error from the very beginning. I’m not a talented artist like my fellow classmates, so I used the main strength I had in this area, which was design. We were showed how to use this photoshop app to complete our task, and the rest was up to us, so I immediately started on my design. 3 panels later, I have my full, completed triptych, that I am very proud of.

Learning about the Renaissance through taking notes is very useful. When you do this, you have to be fast to collect the information off the documents, but they make good resources to come back to for completing the bigger assignments. It was relatively straightforward and easy, so it gave me more time for the bigger projects.

The overall takeaway from this project was The advantages of the new research and resources we were shown. Superimpose X, Pixabay, Craft.do and Blog44 were some of the best examples of the takeaway. I used Pixabay to find licence free images, Superimpose X to edit the photos, Craft.do to write my Historical conclusion & Blog44 to post it to the world! These new tools will help me further in the future, and I’m thankful for that.

Categories: PLP