PLP Oregon 2023! 🌊🚌🌲

I just returned from a week-long field study to Oregon, and it was an incredible experience. From seeing a gun library, to visiting the Astoria Column and learning about disappearing guns, to visiting High Life Adventures for some thrilling zip-lining, there was never a dull moment.

One of the most fascinating things we learned about was the impact of colonization on the Chinook tribes and their use of Western Red cedar trees. The Tillamook Valley settlers, on the other hand, were able to capitalize on the wet climate to raise dairy cows and establish a successful creamery.

We also had the opportunity to participate in some citizen science projects, from studying different types of shrimp to conducting a race experiment with crabs. And let’s not forget our attempts at building a functioning robot, which taught us an important lesson about simplicity and functionality.

My favourite experience was visiting Wolf Haven, a sanctuary that rescues and cares for wolves and other endangered species. Learning about the prairies and First Nations’ use of plants only added to the experience.Of course, no trip to Oregon would be complete without a visit to the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, a remarkable structure with a fascinating history.

I loved getting to bond with my classmates and explore different surroundings. I have attached my field journal along at the bottom, so you can get the full experience of my trip while sitting right at home! Overall, it was an amazing trip full of learning, adventure, and appreciation for the natural world. I can’t wait for the next field study!

Categories: PLP