Don’t take 9th graders to Alberta. They will start to make stupid puns.

Hello. This is an automated message. Keira is unavailable at the moment, but I can lead you through this blog post if you like?
Ok.
‘TRANSMISSION COMPLETE’
My name is Feebee. I’m supposed to be the one who sends you those annoying spam emails. But today I’m going to be your guide.

Hello and welcome or welcome back to Keira’s blog. Since the start of the school year he has been very busy. In his humanities class him and the rest of his class went on a crazy trip, held a mini exhibition and caused mass chaos. He also stole rocks from multiple national parks. He wasn’t supposed to. ANNNYWAYYYSSSSSSS

Keira and the rest of his class on the field study be like

F̴̡̧̛̖͍̦͍̯͉̜̯͚̤̭̹͋̄̈͋̏̇̽̓̌̄ͅȩ̷̣̼͕͉̦̟̉e̸͕̬̜͖͆͂̿̈́̑̅̑̓̑̾̋͝b̶̺̬̳͙͇̙͈̃e̷̟̳̟͗͊e̵͔̪͖̖̟̩̭̝̹͎̦̻̿͜?̸̥̘́ ̴̠̆͂̽̈̈̇̾̅̇́̚͘̕͝Ẃ̴̢̧͖͓̭̗̺̫͖͔̱̥̺̋͊̿́̑̆̌͘̕͝͠h̶̨̧̜͕̙͎̙̲̻̫͓͓̣̋̓̍̄͛͆̈́ą̸̳̙̮̱̠̭̥̯̫͙̘͇̈̈ṭ̸͉͈͙̺̈́̊̌̈̔ ̷̛̮̣̳̞̦̋̒̐̏́̇̔̓̚͝i̵̡̩͈͙͉͂̐̈́͊͘s̶̪̝͍̩͓̀̍͒̆̆̉͆̉̓̄͋͂̿̈́̎ ̷̛̬͑͆̆̋̿̽̓́̓̋̊̐̚͝ĝ̴͚̭̠̦̭͚̱̤̩̜͐̍͂̅̒́̌̌̚͜͠͝͝͝o̴͔̭̭͎̫̪̲͘i̸̧͎̱͚͔̦͍̟͌̀̔͌̈͌̌͋̓̎̔͗͑͝͠n̶̨̖̠͎̝̯̼͑̽̋͛̽̅̏̊̏͜ͅg̶̹̞̩̟̜͔̗̩͉̲͆͐̆̆͜͜ ̸̢̛̩̜̄̏̾́͆̍̽̽͂͘͠ő̴͖̰̪̻̱̌̀̒̏̄̾̚n̶̫͋̈́̐͑̽͑̍̃͝͝͝͠?̴̢͙͇͓̪̣̈́̉̒̇̀͂̾̈̐͊̍̕ ̵̧̢̻͓͕̦̊̄̂̆̅͘͜

Hello?
Hi. It’s Keira now. Sorry about that. It seems that that Feebee broke through her code. That’s all cleared up now!

Where were we again? Ah yes. The project.
This project was pure chaos. At the start, half of our class was gone on Alberta trip one, and the rest of us were just trying to get used to this entire grade 9 thing. When the rest of the class got back we had about one or two lessons with the rest of the class, then we went off to Alberta. After a week of pure chaos on the trip we returned to the school, without a bus. After recovering from the trip, we did more building knowledge, as well as shaping our answers to the driving question, and getting ready for the exhibition. There we go. That’s the entire project.

Building knowledge

Like all projects we had to do building knowledge. The main things we focused on were the five themes, the CPR, the importance of the buffalo, the economy of Vancouver and so much more. Our first building knowledge activity was on the Five themes of geography. Though all of these were important, one that we really focused on was the five themes of geography. These are a set of themes that geographers use to help look at the world and inhabitants around us. To help us understand these themes better, we had to make a comic. This comic was very limited because we had three words per theme. One for the title and two to explain the theme. You can see my finished comic below.

(Insert comic here)

Another piece of building knowledge that we did was the lesson on economy. We were split into different groups. Each group had a different industry, and that group was divided into the past and the effects of that economy. The ones that I remember were forestry, fishing and mining. My group was focusing on the past forestry industry. This lesson was the thing that definitely helped me shape my answer to the driving question. Learning about all of the different economies that BC has showed me that we have many options. For example if we overfished and the fishing industry died out or slowed down, we still have the tourism industry.

Book creator

To showcase all of the different places we went to (and to showcase our learning but that doesn’t matter) we created an E-book. I won’t go into to much detail. The book can explain for itself.

DQ answer

For us to answer the driving question, we had to do a little bit of digging. Each class we went to the whiteboards with our table groups (groups of 3) and answered the driving question. Each time the answer got clearer and clearer. We then were split into groups based off of the general idea of our answer. The groups were economy, history and diversity. While in those groups we developed a final answer. Our final answer was:
“The geography of the west has shaped us by allowing us to have a thriving economy with multiple industries that have helped us settle and develop”
My group and I all agreed that the geography of the west has helped the economy, and the economy has helped shape us in turn.

Competencies
Ok core compitenc- “NOOOOO I TOLD YOU LAST TIME PLEASE DONT MENTION THEM”
“but I need too”
“NO PLEASE”
“Ms Willemse is going to kill me though!”
“I DONT CARE JUST DONT TALK ABOUT THEM”
“please get out of my blog post. We’ve discussed this”
“FINE”
“thank you”

I’m so sorry about that. That pesky core competencies demon keeps getting into my posts. Anyways. Core competencies. This project we had one main one. Questioning. Throughout this entire project we were asking questions.

There were so many times where we probably should have asked more questions, like when the tour guides gave us the option to ask any questions we had, or just at the start of the day when we had those meetings. There were times when I had no clue what was going on, or I didn’t know when something was due, where we were going etc, and I could have asked those questions.
There were many times where we were also answering questions. When we were doing in class activities, we were always being asked “how can this help you answer the driving question?” Or we were asking ourselves “how can I tie the 5 themes of geography into this simple location?”. There were many times when we were at different locations where we had discussions about the driving question, and some of those sessions really helped us improve our understanding if the driving question and our different answers to it.

Alberta trip
Ah yes the Alberta trip. A week of chaos. A fun one though. This was our second trip with PLP, but it felt like our first. We went in two groups, with 15-17 people (i think) in each group. Though the book explains a lot of the big places we went to there were so many other activities, funny moments and… interesting events. I won’t go through every single thing we did every day, but I will share some highlights. For me it was the little things. Like:

DAY 1: Those selfies that we took while waiting for pizza at Costco on the first day. When we were told we could go and get WATER, but then we ended up getting lemonade instead. Singing YMCA on the bus. When we all jumped in at the same time so Ms Willemse could get a video, but then we ended up splashing her.

DAY 2: getting scared of the weird bugs that seemed to appear everywhere at the Revelstoke railway museum. Eating dinner at Smitty’s. We were at king at this round table and someone came up with the idea that we should be the knives of the round table. Several people also ordered pancakes, and they were huge, so it was really funny when we were all going “I’ve got a pancake, who wants some” or “who wants fries”.

DAY 3: when we were at Skyline Luge going downhill karting, and we were on the chairlift. We were screaming hi at each other. People were likely concerned. We were racing each other down and screaming when we passed someone or got passed. At lunch we went to a buffet. It was there where I discovered how picky some people were when I sat down at my table and 3/5 of the people had French fries and a donut on their plates. That was it. Keep in mind that this was an Asian food buffet. There was also a thing of jello containers, and my table made it their mission to make a jello tower. At Beakerhead when we were watching this big exoskeleton thing called prosthesis smash things, and it smashed this mini castle. On top of the castle were Mario and Luigi stuffed toys, and Luca and Cam were so determined to get them. They almost did, and the guy almost gave them to them, but they had to do more shows so they couldn’t.

DAY 4: this day started out so calm, then turned into chaos. When we were eating lunch we created the “flippy nails cult”. We drew angry faces on our middle fingers. Nearing the end of the day we went to Nanton Candy Store. We were were let loose with our own money. It was really fun just going around and buying things, and it was fun comparing what we got with each other. Then we went to get wings for dinner. Dinner was fairly normal, some light chaos at the dinner. Just light. Not like we mixed every single thing we could into the ranch dressing. No. Nothing happened. When we were bussing home someone threw up (they were ok) but when we pulled over and all got out of the bus, we got random bursts of energy, and it was just weird. My room ended that day with a good 4 hour vent/gossip/talk about everything session.

DAY 5: the zoo. Not much to say about this day. We did see some cool animals though. Ther were a couple cool moments though, like when we split off and we walked to the red panda exhibit right when they were feeding it. Cutest thing ever.

DAY 6: on day 6 we had our first big hike. It was a few hours long and at the start everyone was complaining. I started out in the back but then I broke away from that group and moved up to the front. It was honestly such a great experience, and I almost didn’t go. The views were so amazing. One really funny part was when we were sitting at the bottom after just finishing, and my gremlin of a brother pulls a FIVE POUND DND BOOK OUT OF HIS BACKPACK THAT HE JUST HIKED WITH. His reaction was simply “oh I forgot that was in there!” LIKE WHAT THE HECK. THIS MAN.

DAY 7: this was honestly one of the chillest days we had. We went to the Athabaska glacier. That was the host of a lot of cool memories. We did get to walk on it. When we got onto it, we all got to fill up our water bottles with glacier water (still have it in my fridge somewhere). Then we hung out for a bit before Chris and Dylan decided to do pushups on the glacier. They were crazy. Luca decided that it was a good idea to WEAR SHORTS ON A GLACIER as well.

DAY 8: day 8 featured a lot of driving as well as another hike. This one was much more chill than the other ones we had done, even though it was steeper. At the top we discovered that it was illegal to steal national park rocks (sorry). Then SOMEONE (they know who they are) stole my sharpie, wrote on a rock and threw it out into the forest. We were rewarded for our efforts with fruit snacks. After the hike we had a lot more driving, but then it was time for the golden skybridge. It wasn’t that bad, only a little tall. Then we got to go zip lining. We all know that it was a fun experience. The best part was when Luca had to braid his hair because it was too long though. We also got to do multiple high ropes courses. We ended the night with some light pool time, where we scared the people into leaving the pool with our calmness, and held a light splash fight.

DAY 9: the final day. This was supposed to be a simple chill day. When 8:00 (am) rolled around, we were supposed to leave, but we thought that we were simply running a little behind schedule. 8 turned into 9, and 9 turned into 9:30 when we got the notification to get everything ready. Turns out there was a problem with a part on the bus. We walked into golden, then we went on a coach back to vancouver. That was that. It was fitting for the end of the trip though.

Throughout this trip I kept a note of stupid things I heard people say or that I said. The best ones are below.
Midevil eBay
“I need bone juice”
“It’s gods 5G tower”
It’S SkeLetoN brOke
Casually swallows phone then dies of death
Speed hat
This hostel is a hostile environment
I kidnap wild animals and store them in my balls
I’m eating god dam French fries
It’s goddamn jello
Hey guys look it’s the Calgary flames!
Excuse me sir could you shut the f*** up?
People are dying to get in there
I’m mister smiles
I look pretty so I can be mean
Words ow foot no
If i sung loud enough I can turn people to liquid
Prince Charles has sausage fingers
Do you realize how stupid you sound right now we’re in a national historic site and you’re talking about Prince Charles sausage fingers
You handed me a pair of balls and told me to sniff.
Walmart unicorn
It would be like weed juice
We’ll lie down and pass out together
I wanted to get the gains, but I ended up cuddling Chris instead
When we get back to the parking lot I can show you how to turn that into a gun
That’s called anxiety! Nope that’s called suffocation!
That was just another big pika. Called Dylan
Enough with the peanut butter!
“It’s a Google form” “it’s a plate form” “it’s a Chinette form”
How the wifi of the west is shaping our phones

If you have made it to the end of this post, thank you so much for reading this chaos, and I hope you have a good morning/day/afternoon/night!

bye 🙂

– keira