My mid year presentation of Learning 2024 🧩

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

These past few months have really had an impact on me a a learner, I experienced many new situations, feelings, and opportunities for growth. This semester has had its ups and it’s downs, but thats what helped shape me as a person. I have learned from many mistakes, and I will continue to learn, and continue to fail throughout the rest of high school. In this presentation I will highlight some of my key learning experiences, habits I would like to build and improve on, and my goals for the rest of the year. 

To start  I would like to talk about my 2023/2024 learning plan. I always like to review my goals from the beginning of the year as a reminder of the skills I want to build and improve on. Looking back at this form I noticed that a big goal of mine was to be more engaged and talkative during the the lessons. This has never come easily for me and it has been something I have struggled with for a long time. This doesn’t mean I don’t have opinions and ideas of my own, but I find it difficult to share and express them. Going forward this is definitely something I will be encouraging myself to do more. I want to raise my hand more and share more within groups. This means setting small goals to slowly progress to becoming a more vocal and active speaker in class. 

A goal that I think I have definitely worked and improved on was my ability to become a more positive role model around the class. I have felt that I have had an overall more positive attitude towards my projects and work. I would like to continue to use this skill to my advantage, always having an open mind and looking on the bright side of things. 

One significant experience I would like to mention was the field study in Alberta. This experience was more about building relationships that hadn’t existed before, it brought me closer to a lot of people I wouldn’t have thought I would even talk to much in the beginning of the year. And although the trip was quite rough it taught me about finding people you can trust and that are kind and supportive. As my mom always says “ Find your people “, and I think this year I really settled into a nice group of people. The trip taught me integrity, and how to advocate for myself. And I think that I did end up learning a lot, maybe not what I needed to be focused on, but it still was quite the interesting experience. 

Humanities 

A big project that I completed in Humanities was the metaphor machines project. After reflecting back on the process of this machine it got me thinking about the skills that I developed throughout the work. Whenever I am actually completing a project I never really feel like I am growing much as a learner, but when I take the time to reflect and note what went well and what didn’t, you notice change that has occurred. In metaphor machines I took on a more leadership role in my group. This was one of the first times I stepped up for a group, and it was a bit intimidating. I ended up taking a lot on in this project and felt as if I did contribute quite a lot. The machine did end up working in the end, maybe not consistently, but it did. I know my group and I put a lot of time and effort into getting this to work, and I was really proud of us when it came together on exhibition night. We were able to display our work, and our newly found knowledge on the Meiji Revolution. 

Overall, I think that this year has taught me a lot about my ability to step up and take on leadership roles. My willingness to push myself out of my comfort zone, and my capacity to build relationships and find my own support system. I know that I want to continue to grow as a student for the rest of the school year. The skills that I start to develop now are the ones I will use for the rest of my life. For the rest of the school year I would like to focus on being more engaged in class, and becoming a more active speaker during class discussions. I would also like to stay organized and on track with work to make my school-sports balance more manageable. This past semester has honestly been amazing and I can’t wait to keep growing and progressing as not just a learner but a person. 

Thank you for listening to my  Mid year presentation of learning.