tPOL: the book

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner

The following story is based off true events 

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Luca. Luca was a young boy in Gr. 9, who was in a program that focused on project based learning. This ment that instead of doing tests at the end of the unit, he would learn the entire unit in the form of a project, such as making a play talking about if a Revolution was justified. Anther thing about this program was that everyone used iPads. For Luca’s last project of the year, he had to write a blog post about how he felt he had done in the year, and what he’d learned. As he started writing the post he realized that this is the first blog post he’d have written since December. This would be a problem, as he was supposed to link other posts about projects to use as evidence for his learning. But he decided he would ignore this fact because it would make him unable to focus on writing the rest of the post. Speaking of writing, Luca decided that he would The post as a book, because he thought it would be good training for his goal on being an author.

But now for actual reflection. As Luca wrote his blog, he thought back to all the different things he did this year. He thought about his trip to Alberta, the board game he created, and a play that he made, showing the horror of WW1. These were all projects that he was proud of. And then he realized that in all these projects, he was doing something he actually enjoyed. And these were all some things that he did well in this year. And through these he showed some of the critical competences.

In the board game project, it showed his ability to think creatively and create a game, and the Alberta trip, it showed his ability in the personal and social competence, by having him be around a lot of other people. And the WW1 play was a great example of communication, as he had to preform in front of an audience.

After thinking of all the great things he’s done this year, Luca thought of some things he could improve. One of the biggest things he had to improve was he’s ability to write blogs, and this has been a struggle for many years. Another thing he had to work on was he’s bad habit of handing in work late. This is something that’s he’s been getting better at, but it still needs a lot of improvement. One of the other things that he found very difficult to do is anything involving reflecting. This is one of Luca’s least favourite thing about these projects, as he typically feels he doesn’t do that well in most of his projects.

The last thing that he would like to talk about would be what some of his best and worst moments have been this year. One of the things Luca was least proud of this year was his first attempt at a tPOL. It was one of his biggest F.A.I.L. this year and the reason he’s here again. The main reason it went so badly was because he forgot what he was supposed to be talking about. On the other hand, one of the things he was most proud of was the board game he created from scratch. It was probably his favourite projects because he managed to create  a board game that was 90% original. He also managed to hand in most of those assignments on time. One of the biggest skill that I used was the motivator of fear. To help me not use this next year, I need to work on my time management skills.

After looking at his work, Luca decided he was ready for his tPOL. He also thought that he was ready for Gr 10, but would need a lot of improvement for Gr 11. He would like to thank everyone that has gotten this far, and taken their time listening to him present.