Herzog Reflection

We started a new project for maker. Our last project was called ‘Becoming A PLP Learner’ and this project was called ‘Constructing Creative Communication’. Our class of 45 people got split into two classes; Herzog and Carr. Im pretty sure they were named after Fred Herzog and Emily Carr. If you were in group Herzog, we learned creative communication through using the camera and if you were in group Carr we learned creative communication with the Apple Pencil. I haven’t been in group Carr yet, I will be in that group next. While I was in group Herzog, I learned a bunch about photography, how to tell a story through images and most importantly how to use the camera feature on our iPad. 

I now know how to do a bunch of new things with my camera and photography. We learnt how to tell a story through images and how to catch the viewers attention when taking an image. We got to spend a bit of time outside taking photos while on a walk, we even got to go to Deep Cove and take some photos at Strathcona park! Here are some images I took while at the park;

Some of the top ten skills of 2025 are Creativity, originality and initiative, Technology design and programming, Technology use, monitoring and control and Analytical thinking and innovation. While we were in Herzog we learnt a lot on how we can create and communicate through using technology. You probably think that taking photos with a camera doesn’t take that much creative thinking, but you’d be surprised. You have to think about the rule of thirds, how to catch peoples attention and how to tell a story. This takes a lot of thought. When catching someone’s attention you have to make the photo stand out from others. A way to do this is by using the rule of thirds when taking an image. Pretty much what this means is you place the most important or eye catching thing on the left or right side of the image. This will make the viewers eye go over the rest of the image instead of looking only at the main part of the photo. This is very important when telling a story. You most likely will have the background tell a lot of story, so if the viewer just looks at the main focus, they probably will not get it. I also believe this really helps when making your image present a emotion or feeling. 

Here is an image I took of my cat. The photo is supposed to show the emotion ‘silly’. I also spent a few minutes making the colour temperature brighter.

And here is an image that shows how I tried to tell a story using a flower. I kind of thought of it like the only thing happy left is this bright flower in a field of darkness.

I definitely think that having photography skills could greatly help you if you have a job in the field of graphic design, or photography in general. I guarantee there are a bunch of other jobs that could need this skill as well. 

There is more than one skill we needed to know when we were taking photos. We had to keep in mind angles, colour temperature, lighting, etc. Here are some other images I took while doing this!

Thank you for reading, I really enjoyed looking back and remembering everything I did! Have an awesome day! Also, here is a animated video gif of my cat, yet again.

This Is Chance!-Board game

Hello again! Welcome back. We finally completed our project for scimatics! For this project, we had to create a board game using our knowledge of plate tectonics. Before we started our board games, we needed to build knowledge on the topic before we could start, so we did a bunch of workbooks and read a bunch of textbooks so we could understand the basics. 

The driving question for this project is “How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design?”. We would spend the next few weeks learning about probability, plate tectonics, and mathematical questions in order to make a game that includes probability and plate tectonic facts. At the beginning of this project in the launch faze, about every class we would be assigned these tectonic plate workbooks that looks a bit like this:

While we were filling out the questions, we would read textbooks full of facts that will help us answer the questions needed. 

Once we knew enough about tectonic plates, we started making a basic idea of what our game would be about. We made our first draft of our game and handed it in. We ended up changing a bunch of the rules because it was getting really confusing. We got to get partners for this project, and I luckily got to work with Brooke. She has a blog as well! Click here to check it out. 

As a class, our teacher Mr. Harris showed us how to include probability in our games, and how probability is used in regular things like rolling a die or pulling cards for a deck. We got to check out other games like Risk, and try an pin point where probability is used in the game. Probability uses a lot of mathematical equations, so we got to practice our multiplying and dividing fraction skills before we actually got to calculate probability in our game. 

The next step was choosing 10 vocabulary words to include in our game! We chose the words earthquake, epicentre, focus, continental drift, hot spring, convergent plate boundary, volcanic eruption, divergent plate boundary, ring of fire, and tectonic plate. We had to include every one of those in our game in some way, wether it was cards, drawings, or dice! 

Once we had a solid plan, we got to start building our game! Check out our game rules here:

Brooke and I thought it would be efficient to each have a role, so we could get things done a bit faster than if we just tried to do it all at once. We went to the dollar store and got a bunch of materials to build our game. While Brooke was building things, I was writing on cards. The funny thing is though, we didn’t even use the cards or the buildings. We ended up just drawing everything 2d, instead of 3d. We spent a lot of days in class just making a board game that had lots of probability, tectonic plate facts and and intriguing plan. After a lot of test runs, we finally did our peer critique! We went around playing other peoples games, and marking up their rubric. They also did ours. We had to do two people each, while one partner plays and the other partner hosts the game. I thought it was really fun. A few days later Mr. Gross’ class and our class came together to play each classes games. It was really cool to see others games, and how each game was different.

If I could go back and change something while doing this project, it would have been to take my time and not rush into making the game. I felt that a lot of peoples games were a lot more entertaining to play, and that theirs had a lot more time put in it. Don’t get me wrong, I really like how our game turned out, but I feel like we should’ve slowed down a bit, and made it less rushed. 

Here are my Curricular Competences! The one on the top is the Curricular Competency, and the one on the bottom is how I think I did.

———————————————————————————————

Core competency #1

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence.

I feel I did okay on this competency because I didn’t include all of the vocabulary words I was supposed too. I was still able to include 7-8/10 of the words though. The theory of plate tectonics is the central theme of the game, and the drawings and cards mostly represents that.

Core competencies #2

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

I feel I did well on this competency because I used all of my class time effectively even when my partner was away. I was able to do research on the topics of plate tectonics to prepare myself for the main game. I was able to ask questions and communicate with the people around me to learn and problem solve.

Core competency #3

Understanding and solving: Develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving.

I think I did good for this curricular Competency because I was able to incorporate more than one form of probability in our game. We included two written probability equations in our game rules as well. I feel that we could’ve come up with more examples though. 

———————————————————————————————-

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design? When creating a game, your game develops using a theme, and you have to work up from that theme. When we created our games we used the theme ‘Tectonic plates’ to build up from. That was our base, but then we had to include other parts of Tectonic plates like Continental drift and volcanos. Mathematical elements are used in almost all games. It includes rolling a die, drawing cards, guessing a number etc. This type of math is probability.

Becoming a PLP Learner!

In this project, we learned how we can build and strengthen the PLP learning team. But before we did this, we had to learn how to use our iPads. We learned mostly how to use certain apps like Basecamp and Showbie.

We learnt a lot more after that though. The driving question for this project was “How can I build and strengthen the PLP learning team?” Our groups started off with learning about what the PLP learning team was, and what we would be doing in this project. How can I build and strengthen the PLP learning team? Hmm. Good question!

We learned about ourselves as PLP learners. Before we started this project we had to make sure we knew about ourselves, so we started the big life journal. In the big life journal we answered questions and went into depth about our future, goals, and dreams for life in general!

These are from my Big Life Journal. ^^

We then started making our Memoji Laptop. We figured out how to use keynote, and insert images that look like stickers! We used this Memoji the whole way through the project. Pretty much what it is is a Memoji of ourselves with a laptop, and on the laptop we include pictures that represents us. Here is my Memoji Laptop. I most importantly chose a picture of my amazing cat to include on my laptop.

We started doing team challenges as well. We needed to learn how to work well in our groups, as those would be the groups we work in for this whole project. Our groups were able to work together to build certain things, like a tower made of cups, a spaghetti tower, and a paper tower! We had to work together a lot during these, as some of them (like the cup tower) we had to do it together or it wouldn’t work. At the end of this project we would make a time capsule of all of the work we did during this project. The picture that I’m going to include next, is a picture of our spaghetti tower. For this challenge our group was only allowed to build a tower with spaghetti and mailing labels. The goal was to get the tallest tower.

As soon as we were told what the time capsule was, we started it. The first thing we made for the time capsule was the User Manual! Pretty much what we did for that was write a guide on how we would work if we were a product. We had to follow the basic formatting, but we got to fill in the blanks. We worked really hard on figuring out how to use pages, and all of its functions. It took me awhile to get the font and sizes right while following the format, but I was able to figure it out after talking with my friends.

Next, we were asked to write on our blog, how we work in a team. We called it our Team Contract. Before we started the blog post, we had to figure out how to use our blog. For one of the parts of our Maker classes, we split rooms and learned how to do our blog. We learned how to make a page, a post, how all the functions work, etc. As soon as we figured it out it was time to make our team contract. There was two parts to this though; our Blog Post and our Physical Representation. On our post that we made, we added our Memoji (the laptop Memoji with our stickers), pieces of our user manual, our creative media, and a paragraph that answers the question ‘How I work in a team’ and another paragraph explaining how your creative media represents that. Once we published that, we started our physical representation. Want to see my physical representation? Eh, probably not. But I will show you anyway.

For this, we got to chose a box with items in it. There were boxes A, B, and C. The box you choose will be the box you use to build with. Next, we made a plan on how we were gong to build this. Some people wrote a paragraph, others drew a picture! After that, we got to build. For mine, I built a brain. The brain represents my creativity when working in a team. I used tinfoil and paper to build it, the tinfoil represents my building and making a plan, and the paper on the inside represents my creativity and drawing.

Once we finished all these things, we got to add it to our keynote presentation. This would be our keynote guided tour we would use on exhibition night. We put all of these things onto our presentation. MAking the keynote was my favourite part. It was pretty complicated at times though. On the front page of our keynote we had bubbles with all of the things included in the presentation! Each bubble linked to a different slide. For example, the bubble that had ‘BLJ’ in it linked to the slide that I put my BLJ on. I found that really cool. After we were done creating it we had an exhibition night where we presented all of our work during this project to our parents. There were tables all around the room and each one had a few of our group members on it. In front of us we had our iPad with our keynote, a print out of our User Manual, and our physical representation.

Today our groups did our last team challenge together. I had a lot of fun making it thats for sure. So pretty much what we did was we got to make a fake horror movie trailer and record it somewhere around the school. First, our group got to make a plan. We had a template from iMovie that we had to follow, and it made it a bit easier. Once we had the plan done, we got to go around the school and film it. I was the faceless person, trying too attack and innocent boy. We edited it together and and got to show it to the class. Wanna see it! Here!

In a team,  I am good at reading and getting information out of writing. I can present a written form of my ideas with my group. I share my ideas as much as I can when working as a team. I am good at writing out the information I get from reading. I am creative when it comes to things like writing, drawing or designing. I provide my group with someone to share ideas with and someone to design and make a plan with you. I can work collaboratively with my group well. 

Summative Learning Portfolio

Hello!!!

This was the final ad our group created to send to the business.

Meet my team members! Caden, Kira, Naomi, Christian, Keenan.

For this past project, we were assigned a company to make an advertisement for. Our group got Honey Doughnuts, which I was really exited for. I really love Honey Doughnuts, so I was          really looking forward to being able to work with them. Here is Honey Doughnuts website if you want it. :]

The driving question of this project is “How does what we hear, read, and view influence us?”. Our group would be allowed  to work together, create individual ads, and develop a final ad to send to our business, see our final advertisement above.

We learned a lot about different types of media and advertising definitions/principles during this project. The design principle workbook helped when designing the advertisement since we had alot of writing. It taught us how to use alignment with writing and images, and make everything come together a bit better

We did a lot to build knowledge on the driving question like, historical perspective, media definitions, and forms of advertisement. We got assigned a advertisement principle workbook, which I actually really enjoyed. I messed up a few times and really struggled to make the examples, but in the end I was able to get it done. Here is my workbook. I learned a lot on how to make a advertisement look better, and that help me in the long run.

Design Principles Workbook

We analyzed a video advertisement called “Welcome Home”. In class we were able to watch this video. While we were watching it, we took notes and sketched how it impacts you. After we watched it, we wrote a paragraph about who the target audience is and what the videos message is. I think this was one of the first things we did in Humanities, and I decided to add it because, I remember when I was doing this I didn’t understand at all what the “Target Audience” was and I had a hard time answering that question. (I do now don’t worry.) Around this time we also learned a lot about media definitions, and those helped me a lot with my advertising journal and answering those questions.

Connecting to last paragraph, another thing we did was the advertisement journal. What we had to do was take a bunch of advertisements we found, and than analyze them. A few questions we had to answer were, ‘Where did you find this ad?’ ‘Who is the target audience?’ etc. I spent quite a long time working on this, I actually really enjoyed making it! It was really fun finding the images. I also found it satisfying when you finished the questions row by row. This made it easier when it came to expanding my ideas when being asked questions. You usually don’t look at advertisements like you had to when answering those questions.

Advertising Photo Journal

When we were doing our individual advertisement, we were able to use a bunch of different sources like Canva, Keynote, and pages. Each person in our group were able to construct our own advertisement drafts. We were also asked to write a paragraph on the advertisement itself. We were able to present our individual ads to our groups, and get peer critique. We talked to our business owners and asked them what we should include in our advertisement. We were also able to talk to Derek Hepburn, and he helped us a lot and gave us a lot of important information to make really nice advertisements. He taught us about the 70,20,10 technique, and the KISS technique as well. It helped us organize things better, especially since it was hard to make it look nice cause the background was a photo. I learnt a lot about where to put things in advertisements, and how to catch the target audiences attention. This is my first draft! It’s definitely improved a lot since I made that one.

This was my first ad that I created for the business.

Another thing we did was the historical media analysis. Our task was to construct a written response to a piece of historical media we found. In the written response we answered the five key questions of media literacy, (Who created this message, what techniques are used to attract my attention, how might other people view this ad, why the message was sent, and what points of view are represented).  This is my historical media that I found on safari.

Source

Overall, I think I did well in this project. Im proud of how all my work came out, and how I was able to show my learning. What I found really helped me was talking to my peers, and seeing their perspective on the questions, and working in the LAC room. What we hear and read can influence us positively or negatively. Media you see and hear can make you believe things that are not true, and make people feel like you have to do something you don’t. Media can also make you feel happy! Like when you see something heartwarming or sweet. What we hear can influence us to go and buy something or visit somewhere, just by describing it and making it seem appealing.

Hello people :]

Hello peoples! This my first blog, im just trying to figure out how it works XD

anyways here are some random facts about birds:

Birds have hollow bones that help them fly.

There are almost 10000 types of birds world wide.

Ostriches have the largest eyes than any land animal.

Cardinals and other birds rub ants on themselves to remove bacteria and things like lice.

Woodpeckers collect acorns. No one knows why.

Frooooommmm Hayden :DDD