Design Challenge

Yess! I did it, another project! This project Im actually pretty happy about. I worked hard with Kira to create a fridge that had maximum surface area, and it WAS successful!! We have been working on this project for around 5 weeks now, and I learnt a lot! I hope that someday I will come back to this project and further improve our design.

We first got a quick re-cap of our amazing math skills. We did the usual workbook, and I was able to complete all of them! We got a quick reminder of our area and surface are calculation skills, and were than able to decide what we want to design.

For the design of our object we used an app called Tinkercad. We had a bit of a practise run using the app, just to get used to the mechanics. The app has alot of cool feautures, like the grid, and how you can measure the shapes straight into the app. We made a plan, and started building. Once we had the design and build, we were able to calculate. We spent quite a bit of time on the calculations tho.

In my project, Kira and I decided to try and maximize surface area. Since we did a fridge, we decided that a fridge with more surface area would be ideal as more can fit standing. The hardest part was using shapes. We needed a minumum of 10 shapes, and that was pretty hard to do in my opinion. I added coolers at the bottom of the fridge to get more shapes, as without them I wouldnt have been able to complete this project.

We used a chart in numbers to figure out what formulas we would need, and this gave us the ability to add our numbers slowly than do all the math. This helped me alot.

If I were able to go back and do something different, I would probably do more than two shapes. I feel that I could have put more effort into this project knowing what I do now.

We were finally able to put together our presentation, and present it to the class. It was pretty scary, Im not a huge fan of presenting, but Im pretty proud of how well we did together.

Nexttttt….. our core competencies!! Not the most interesting, I know. But I am required to do them, very sorry. For me too. Im sorry for myself. Just kidding they are not that bad

———————————————–

Applying and innovating:
Contribute to care for self.
others, community, and world
through personal or
collaborative approaches.

I feel that over this last project I was able to use all my time efficiently in class. I turned off all notifications to keep distractions away.

————————————————

Reasoning and Analyzing:
Model mathematics in
contextualized experiences

I do think that I was able to design an object with 10 basic shapes. I was also able to optimize surface area on my shape successfully.

————————————————
Communicating and
Representing: Explain and
justify mathematical ideas and
decisions

Over this past project I feel I was able to correctly and efficiently calculate and measure all volume and surface area. I was also able to explain and tell the class in my keynote presentation how I got my volume and surface area by showing calculations.

Argh Matey!!

Hello! Welcome back to my blog. I finished another project; except this one was really different! 

For this project, we took a deep dive into exploration by pirates, and the tools they used to help them explore. 

The driving question for this project was ‘What were the causes and consequences of European exploration?’. 

Our final goal was to create a historical fiction pirate AR story about European exploration, using AR Maker!

We started this project with a look at a few examples of other students. We got to observe and learn about how they created their stories! At this point we knew nothing or very little about European exploration, so thats definitely the next thing we had to do in order to start. 

The first thing that we got introduced to was the ‘Three G’s’. These were Gold, Glory, and god. Those were main contributing factors of what influenced exploration. 

We also learnt about the contact between the old world (europe, asia, and africa) and the New World (the americas). This created the Columbian exchange, that was a wide transfer of plants, animals, food, slaves, diseases and culture/religion between the Eastern and Western Hemispheres.

We got to take a look at what tools they used to help them along their journeys. Things like the compass, astrolabe, sextant, Cross-staff, and their ships!

The Portuguese developed a new type of ship called the caravel for travel on the open seas. Its technology was alot more advanced than ships in the past, with systems like bilge pumps that makes them float higher, and lateen sails.

The caravel enabled so much more open and far explorations. That was something that a-lot of us used in our stories.

Now that we know all of this information, we got to start our AWESOME stories! We used things like story boards and spines to plan out our stories. There was a bit of a criteria we needed to follow, with things like we needed to include gold, glory, and god, along with the columbian exchange. And most importantly, it needed to be historical fiction. This was important. We got to look at some examples pf historical fiction to make sure what we were writing was right. You can check out more about historical fiction here!

One of the main things for our story was drawings, as it was an AR story. We made sure to make drawings about what was going on in out story to paint more of a picture. Once we had everything together, we went down to cates park and filmed our stories. If you wanna check out my story, click this link down here!! 

Anyway, thanks for reading my blog. I had lots of fun on this project, and I hope to do something like this again. Have a nice day!

The Seven Slices

Imagine being able to do a whole project based of pizza?! Well that what I did!! These past months, since DECEMBER, I’ve been doing an amazing project called Destination Imagination, also known as DI. DI has pushed me out of my comfort zone in many ways, but It also helped me grow as a team member, presenter, and critical thinker. I learnt many knew things about building and workmanship, along with my team members themselves. I learned how stressful projects can be, but also how rewarding they can be at the end. 

Our team was able to build and create a 8 minute presentation about a daring escape from a pizza restaurant with the help of our daring devices. We got to learn about each of our skills, and how they can be used in our story. For example, In our play Ruby was the brave one, deciding to jump over the pit first. This was our feat of skill. 

The biggest challenge of this whole thing was coming together as a team. Its not easy working as a team of seven, especially since we all had so many different ideas for our presentation. We used things like whiteboards and idea templates to get all of our ideas together, and have the ability to include ideas from every person in our team. 

We met up outside of school, before and after, to successfully get work done. This was the most helpful when it came to actually building the set. It took a ot longer than we thought it would. We messed up our set so many times, we were so close to losing all of it. We had a bit of a late start as we struggled with coming up with the script and idea planning, so we really had to scramble.  In the end, we did manage to get everything built with a bit of cardboard and broken cars. 

By our first dress rehearsal we had nothing built at all. But, by the second one we were still behind, but we had a solid story. It took a really long time to come to where we are today. I am really proud of how far we have come, and how much we had to overcome. 

Another aspect of DI is the instant challenges. Andddd they are exactly what they sound like. Its just a way to grow together as a team. Some are harder than others, but all of them do take some real critical thinking. 

Our final performance was probably the most stressful performance I’ve ever done. We had to go to a different school that was about an hour or so give or take. We met our team in the massive school, and we headed down to the gym to do a few practises. Our whole team made it in time, and everything worked! We headed down to the performance room, I hugged my friends, and we did the performance. It was in a room with all of our parents, and the judges. They were all super nice though! Once we were done, all of our team headed out, and we were all really really happy we were finished. We were not only relived, we were so proud of how far our team has come since the start. 

Thanks for reading my blog, and while your at it, you can also read my other team members blogs too. Dylan, Charlie, Ruby, Evangeline, Owen, and Keaton. Have a good day, –Hannah

Molecule Coding!

Hello! Welcome back to my stunning blog! I have finished yet again another project (woah)!! Today Im gonna be talking about my COOL GAME!! I created a game that displays the KMT! The KMT is the Kinetic Molecular Theory. We used a program called Scratch to create our games, you can check their website out here! 

At the start of this project we were able to create a project-start mind map on MindNode. Here we were able to map all of our ideas out, and ask all of our questions we had. At the end of this project, we will answer all of these questions again!

We started to get an insight on how this project would work, and how we would create our games. We spent some time getting used to the programme and we got to play around with the tutorials! At this point we knew quite a bit on the KMT and molecules, as we spent quite a bit of time working on textbooks. We spent a few classes just learning about the KMT using textbooks, and videos. With all this knowledge we would be able to create a game to the best of our abilities! There was also one point where we got to go into the other scimatics room and we watched the teacher light bubbles on fire! It was amazing!!! I caught it on video, you can watch it here:

Than at one point, we knew enough about molecules to create our own. These we would use in our game! I made quite a few! Here they are! We used a chart-like image to create a place to organize our molecules. We used a different example to draw each one. We will use these designs later!  

Now its time to build our game. There is nothing quite else to do! We have all of our molecules drawn, we know enough about the kmt, to start. For my game, I decided it was best to do a simulator. I will show you all of the coding I did to create my game! And the project idea board will be here too! 

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/652618090/

And here is the curricular competencies I had to follow throughout this project. I do feel that I successfully demonstrated the best of my abilities overall on this project. (Accomplished).

And yeah! Thanks for reading my blog post, have a good day! 

-Hannah

The Renaissance

Welcome! I finally finished my latest humanities project; Renaissance – A Change Engine. This project was different for me, it was more history based and Im not too fond with history… but I think it want well.  Something I found out is that taking notes from a fast pasted video is one of the hardest things for humans to achieve, but besides that, I learnt a lot on how history is categorized, and how famous and revolutionary inventions still effect us to this day! Pretty crazy, right?

The driving question for this project was “What significant developments emerged from the past and how have they impacted us today?” 

At the beginning we obviously got to learn an introduction on the Renaissance itself, but we also were able to do some activities that correspondence with the renaissance. We did this roleplay game, where we acted out the fetal system. We each got different roles to play, and I was the knight! We were able to interact and learn about the social hierarchy, at the same time. 

Not far into the project we leant about our final product was going to be. We learnt about what we would be making! We would make a triptych and a final paragraph. (You can learn what a triptych is here.)

Leading up to the tryptic we got intoduced to famous inventions and their inventors. We also got to look into societal changes and art! I was able to learn how history is categorized, by using name charts to research inventions.

For the triptych we would have to make 3 panels. We chose and phtotshoped some parts of our overall research like, inventors and inventions, along with art. We were also to include a societal change. The two panels on the left and right held parts of the Renaissance, and in the middle would be. Picture of ourselves and how its effected us to this day, also known as the contemporary effect. 

On the left I included a picture of the Last Supper painting and the clock and telescope made by Galileo. In the middle I put a contemporary version of paper (iPads and phones) and a modern version of The Last Supper painting. And on the right I included the printing press, and the bible. I used the bible to show what the printing press made the most of; bibles.

The second half of our final product was our Final Paragraph. In the final paragraph we took a deep look into what we included into your triptych. The main thing I wrote about was the Printing Press.  We were able to learn about how our paragraph should be layed out aswell. 

And yeah! Thank you fro reading! Bye for now!

How My Learning Advanced, On a Learning Advance

Hello! Welcome back to my blog! A few weeks ago I went on a learning advance with my class. I learnt and grew a lot, this is how it went! I created a book, which you can check out below. I kept track of everything we did, and achieved over the 4 days we spent there! I had so much fun on this trip, I cant wait to show you what I did.

For the learning advance we went to Loon Lake. This was our chance to grow as learners, and work in environments that we weren’t used too. We learnt inside, outside, and even on the lake! I met some amazing people, and grew relationships with friends I already had. 

I kept some photos along the way! It was fun being able to capture moments, and share them with people that didn’t go on the advance with us. During free time, i liked to go sit outside and take photos of nature! I also got photos of people I met, food I ate, the cabins we slept in, and so much more. 

On this learning advance I grew in so many ways. My understanding of nature, my presentation skills, my communication with others, meeting new people, working in different environments, and accepting change. So many things Im not used to doing. 

We got put into cabins with people we were not used too. We didn’t spend a lot of time in our cabins, but when we did, we were surrounded with so many new people that we may have not gotten to know. We had to create a plan on what time we would wake up, what time we went to sleep, who showered in the morning, and general stuff that we had to decide. Some of these decisions were not easy to come to a consensus with, but it was very rewarding when we did. 

Sometimes the way we learnt changed. When we were back at school, we did Destination Imagination in quiet, small classes. But when we were at loon lake, we had to work in big classrooms. Accepting change in the way we learnt was not easy, but Im glad that I was able to experience so many new ways. Im also proud of the amount of work that our DI team got done in places like that, with so many distractions. 

In the future, I would like to be more open with peoples ideas when it came to decision making. Im looking forward to the future field study’s we do! 

Thank you for reading my blog, and I hope to see you again soon. Bye for now!

Working With Words! =D

Hello, welcome back to my blog! After my outsiders project, I started a new project called ‘Working With Words’. It was a poetry project, where we learnt about poetry terms, types of poetry, presenting poetry, and making an ebook! At the end of this project we would have a coffee house performance where we would present all of our learning over this past project. 

At the beginning of the project we got to look at some other poets from around the world. We watched videos of them presenting to get a basic overview of what it would be like for us! It was the first time Ive ever really worked with poetry, so It was really nice to see what its liked. I learnt that there are many different types of poetry, and that they don’t have to even rhyme! I had no idea. 

We got a basic idea of what its like reading poetry, preforming poetry, and of course, writing poetry! We got to check Basecamp and get to see all of the poems we would have to create as well. Ms.Maxwell each class gave us two poems to learn about and write. In class, we would see examples of the assigned poem. Most poems, in fact ALL of the poems had to have worldview included in them somehow. It was actually pretty easy to include worldview into the poems, It wasn’t to hard to learn. 

Every class we came prepared with poems that we would present to small groups. When we were in these small groups, we also sometimes got to create mini poems on the whiteboard. Here are some photos from when we created them in class! 

Along with the poems, we also learnt poetry terms. This will come in handy for the test later on. 

• Simile; Comparison of two unlike things using like or as. (Cold as ice)
  • Cliche; An overused expression. (Don’t judge a book by its cover)
  • Rhyme Scheme; The pattern of rhymes in a poem. (The cat, sat, on the mat)
  • Metaphor; Comparison of unlike things without using like or as. 
  • Free Verse; A poem with no regular rhyme or rhythm. 
  • Haiku; Short three line poem with 5 syllables in the first line, 7 syllables in the second line, 5 syllables in the third line. Surprise in the third line.
  • Juxtaposition; Two things being seen or placed together with contrast. 
  • Found Poem; Poems created by taking words, phrases, and sometimes whole passages from other sources and re-framing them as poetry by making changes in spacing lines, adding or deleting text. 
  • Onomatopoeia; Words that sound like what they mean. (Beep, Splish, sizzle, pop)
  • Denotation; Literal definition of a word. (A house is a building where people live)
  • Connotation; The associated feelings that come with a word. (Warmth, safe, calming)

We slowly made our way to starting to create the ebook. We got to put all of the poems we created into this ebook! Along with the poems we created complimentary text that compliment the poems. I used emojis for this! My favourite part of the ebook was the ‘About Me’ page. We created an about me video, and put it in a page! You can see that video in my book! I hope you enjoyed my blog, and here is my book! =D

Destination Imagination

Hello!! 

Welcome back to my amazing blog! This is my last geek out blog post unfortunately. Except, this last one is not about Neurology. It’s about something new we started, Destination Imagination! Destination imagination is a creative, student lead competition. Each group get assigned a very complex challenge, to build, create and present. There are certain categories of challenge, and out group got technical. Pretty much we have to create a story with two daring devices (one electrical one mechanical) and the daring devices have to escape 3 hazards. If you want to learn more about Destination Imagination, you can visit their website here!

At the start of the project our team signed a contract that basically said like if you are missing a team member or something how to talk to them afterwards. It also was like talking about truth and rules in the team. We got introduced to a massive booklet of rules and how the challenge works, and we read through it and learnt everything about the challenge. After we had sorta basic idea of what the requirements were, the deliverables, and stuff like that. None of our team members have ever done DI before, so it was a big change for us.

Our teams got a sheet that talked about idea generation. We had to fill in each square with different ideas we could use in our challenge! Everyone had such different ideas, and they all were so good. We kinda sorted all of them into different categories. It was so hard to come up with what we were going to make the story of. After many intensive arguments and whiteboard discussions we finally decided that it was going to be about.

We had lost of resources to brainstorm our ideas, decide managers, and time management. I got to be time manager! That means I get to keep track of meetings, and asking the time during instant challenges, stuff like that. I had to create a burn down chart to keep track of all the stuff we have accomplished and stuff that we still have to do.  A few days ago we were able to start building one of our hazards. Oh yea! I should talk about instant challenges! 

Instant challenges are challenges that you and your team have to solve in shot amounts of time. You get points for different aspects of the challenge like teamwork, creativity etc. Fun fact, last instant challenge I did our team won 2 place! I really love doing instant challenges.

Anyway, thats a short insight on what destination imagination is and what my team and I have done so far. Thank you for reading!!

Mpol Blog Post- What Have I learnt So Far?

Hello! Ive decided that I am gonna talk about my biggest learning curves and how I improved afterwards.

At the beginning of the school year we learnt how to work our iPads and the apps included.

The first project that I wanna talk about my advertisement project from Humanities. We worked with a group to come up with a final advertisement to send to our assigned business, our group got honey donuts. Each individual person got to do their own drafts of the advertisement so we could pick witch one we wanted to use as our final advertisement in the end.  

I really loved working with my group for this project. It was my first time working with a group and It was nice always having a place to go to when your stuck on something. I definitely found my favourite part of PLP so far is working with a team, Ive never gotten to do that before. I feel that when Im in a group I can improve on sharing my ideas more openly rather than just waiting for someone to bring up the idea. Im getting better at that now, but I still have some work to do. Something that I struggled with the most was coming to agreements with our group.

I was able to learn a lot a lot about my iPad, I have so many apps and resources now since joining PLP. 

Next Project I want to talk about is Constructing Creative Communication from maker. This project did push me out of my comfort zone in some ways, but it did help a lot in the end. We got to learn how to construct creative communication using photography and art. Im not to comfortable with drawing but after doing it for awhile I definitely did see an improvement.

I can now use all of the tools in the app Sketches, and confidently draw. (Mostly.) Some work I’m most proud of was definitely the photos I was able to create when I was in the Herzog group.

And finally my Board Game project from Scimatics. I don’t think I did my absolute best in this project but I did grow in this project. I was able to present my board game to my teachers, and my classmates. I feel like I could have took my time a bit more when I was actually creating my board game. My presentation skills, I am less nervous when speaking to the class.  

Every night after I get home I look at my things list to see what some upcoming deadlines are, projects that are due, and things that I know I should get started on. Throughout each project I feel that I’ve gained a much better understanding of how to properly work in groups, communicate better, and creative+critical thinking, along with time management. 

Thanks for reading!