Comic Cells

Hi

I just finished my last simatics project, it was about how cells react. We built these comics to solve the driving question: “how do cells and disease react”. Our end goal was a comic about a virus and cells of our choosing.

Time line

Day 1: We launched the project and watched a movie on how cells react

Day 2: We began our reaserch on cells.

Day 3: We chose what the virus we would be reaserching; mine was sars-covi-2.

Day 4: We made a wanted poster on the chosen disease.

Day 5: We continued our reaserch.

Day 6 We learned more about cells with a video and did a test on cells.

Day 7 We began our storyboards for out comic.

Day 8 We finished our storyboards.

Day 9 – 12 We wrote our comics.

All class time is used for learning and creating a comic book story about cellular processes and/or diseases.                                                                                                         I did a great job at this. I managed to complete all 18 drawings with detail and a story. I think I could have done a better job at this and added more drawings if I had put more detail on my storyboard. If I could improve on this I would as I think there is always room for improvement.

Correct vocabulary and accurate diagrams are used.  At least 10 interesting science vocabulary words are included in the story.                                                                            I think I did a decent job at this. I had 10 sciency words and had detailed drawings. My story was complete and clear and had  a good storyline,

Cell/bacteria/virus characters interact in a scientific way. Symptoms and logical outcomes of the chosen disease/cellular/body process are integrated into the story.     I had correct outcomes such as the disease spreading through the body and attacking the lungs and cells. But I also showed the spread from person to person. My comic was accurate but the art was completely fictional as I decided it would be funnier even though disease is not a joke.

The comic

In conclution this project was very fun. I had fun doing the art and studying about covid. I also learned alot about cells and their processes. I would do this project again as I love comics and enjoyed reading some of my friends posts. I would do this project again for sure.

thanks

The Spring Exibition

Hi we just had a spring  exibition.

The spring exibition was about how we learn and that process. We where split into groups and the grade 9s also where doing this project with us except the diference is that they led the project. I was sorted into the tech for learning group something that suited me.

Timeline

Day 1: We started by reading the ideas that the grade 9s had but they where not so clear and good so we where confused.

Day 2: The grade 9s made the plan more improved and clear. They also began describing their plan. We also began brainstorming what we  would do.

Day 3: We began building and working on our presentations. I decided to show how I learned on scratch and began improving my game so it ran more smoothly and began writing my presentation.

Day 4: I finished my improvements and added temporary additions for the exibition. We also finished all the props needed for this exibition. This included an iPad themed door, app icons that would go around the room, sighs and the proficiency scale wich is how we are graded.

Exibition day: We began after school. We started setting up. Then we finished were we would set up and finished up every thing needed to present and printed it. We had food and multiple interactive stations that where used in this. We also had the grade 9s vibrant videos playing along with the grade 9s documentaries.

The exibition started at 5 30 and ended at 7 30. I had a decent amount of people visit my station and the whole process was very smooth and fun. I got to show my game to people and also enjoy the fun experience the caos another exibition is.  After we cleaned up and left.

Links to my group

http://blog44.ca/charlier

http://blog44.ca/danielb

http://blog44.ca/jessieg

http://blog44.ca/makenziet

http://blog44.ca/makair

http://blog44.ca/magnusk

http://blog44.ca/kallumr

http://blog44.ca/francisr

http://blog44.ca/bent

http://blog44.ca/caleg

http://blog44.ca/erikb

http://blog44.ca/faiths

http://blog44.ca/inesm

http://blog44.ca/theryns

http://blog44.ca/maxl

http://blog44.ca/noahd

http://blog44.ca/patricj

Here is also a link to my scratch game

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/655830321/

Along with some photos of our work

Thanks

TPOL

Hi to start here is the tPol declaration of learning

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

This will answer the driving question of this presentation: Why I feel I am ready for grade 9

accomplishments

What I have accomplished, this year I have accomplished so much and learned many things. Mostly how to use different apps on my iPad efficiently and effectively. This will prove to be very useful. I also did well on some projects like the Ultimate Design Challenge. In that project I worked hard to figure out how to properly design a model of an Xbox in tinker cad a 3D design app. I had to find a way to calculate an ovals dimensions as we did not learn that and managed to do that. I also used over 2 thousand shapes and the result was very realistic.

How I failed

One major fail was DI. We had a lot of problems with communication and colaberation. Mainly due to people nevery replying or checking pings and messages to communicate and set up times to work. But we managed a good story even if part of our challenge had failed showing that we could still work together and pull through. But I still learned from this and next DI I know what I need to get my team to work hard on and what points are the most common to fail and to be focused on more. I definitely plan to work harder and better next year next year.

Frustrations

Mostly with my attention span due to having an iPad right in front of me I would get distracted a lot and had a lot of problems. But I found that with taking a break from gaming for a bit and deleting all of them off my iPad that helped. I now know how to balance gaming and school and don’t game as much as I used to and have a better view of when its time to work and when to game. I also got better at focusing and don’t need to rely on having a very strong constricting ADHD medication and even wrote this post without my meds. I also found after practicing hard and  changing my meds to a new type in combo with a decreasing old type I can be more myself and work harder with for some reason an increased attention span. I plan to work more on this as I want to be able to work hard without getting distracted as much.

I also find PLP teaches me more and classes are way more interesting and a lot less boring than normal school work. (I still enjoy that once in a while, I know I’m a nerd and proud of it). My favourite project was the Chemistry coding project as it was very fun and I still am working on my scratch game as I find it so fun and interesting. I learned a lot about scratch and had so much fun. I don’t think there will be another project so interesting as coding is now one of my favourite things. But I think that I found nothing boring this year as I find PLP classes very interesting and fun. I think that my work is also better than my old work and has more content and fun. The classes are also fun as we get to do more than old boring textbook work.

Now to answer the driving  question

I feel I am ready for grade 9 as I have worked hard and had a very successful year. I feel that the amount of success and evaluation has reached its limit for grade 8 and that I am ready for grade 9. I also feel that I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I also feel that I am ready to learn more and am prepared for the challenge of grade 9 and want to face it.

That is why I feel I am ready for DI

Thanks

The Final Humanities project this year New Beggingings.

I
Wanna see how I made this keep on reading on to see this projects path o’ learning. We started of this project making an add for the school as the project was going to be an advertisement project again (I know very unique idea). The whole project was based off of the driving question “what did the establishment of New France mean for the people involved”?
The  driving question for this presentation is “why I am ready to go to grade 9”
We began with as you should know by now the launch of the project. We learned about what we where learning and the question the entire project was based off of. After that we built an ad for our school.
Then we started learning about New France. We watched a documentary about Canada specifically episode 1. Then we would prepare for a simulation with some very enjoyable assigned reading.
The simulation was about trading and we where split into 2 groups. Then we traded in our lands but not beetween the 2 groups. After we traded with the other group. At the end we where introduced to viruses of the time and the other group the natives to canada side died if they got a product with a disease.
Then we had time to take photos for something that the teachers had not decided on. Then they made their decition we would use flourish to make what was above. We had to add aspects of our research on a chosen topic as well. I chose the trade of beavers. We had to add at least 3 symbols that we made to the photos, along with some text and s change beetween the 2 photos. Creating a before and after effect.
Now to answer the driving question
I belive I am ready for grade 9 because I have been going through this year with a decent work ethic. I normally hand my work in on time and have been inmproving on all year. I have been working on my attention span and the quality and depth of my work this year. Looking back on my work I can see that I have greatly improved on my work this year. The quality and quantity of my work has defenatly increased as well. I found that I have learned more this year than I have ever. I hope  to impove on it more next year as I think that it will be very importand as there is always room for critique and improvement.
That is why I feel that I am ready for grade 9
thanks

The ULTAMATE Design Challenge

For the past while in Simatcis we have been creating objects in 3d. This was on our driving question How can we design _________ for maximum volume or surface area. I chose to design an xbox for maximum volume. We also had to use at least 10 shapes and find the total surface area and volume and create a presentation for it.

time line of the project

Day one

The project was launched. I began experimenting on Tinkercad a 3D design software.

Day 2

I began learning volume, and area of and about 2d and 3d objects. We also continued experimenting on Tinkercad.

Day 3

I continued learning the volume and area of  and about 2d and 3d objects. We also did our first required tinker cad challenge where we had to create a rectangular prism to fit the required volume. We also began the decision on what we where making.

Day 4

I made the final decision on my design, I chose to make an Xbox 1 S to maximize volume. We also continued learning about volume and surface area of and about 2d and 3d objects.

Day 5

I began learning the formulas necessary to calculate the surface area, and volume of our object.

Day 6

I put the formulas needed into a document this included triangular prism, cube, and cylinder. We added the photo of our object as well. But as I finished off the project I had to make some adjustments to this and obtain the proper formulas for my shapes as things like a rectangular prism with 3 different sized sides had a slightly different formula. I also had to create the formulas for an oval prism as i could not find one and had to keep tweaking it.

Day 7 And 8

I got the measurements needed to calculate everything and I began the long process of getting the calculations and even after this and after I started working on my presentation I kept on needing to make corrections until finally I had it finished.

Day 9

I finished my presentation which I had been working on over the weekend and included the final calculations and photos of the design and managed to accomplish my goal of an Xbox to have a more volume than surface area.

Evaluation on how I did

All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.                                        I think I did well at this, I got all my work done and went over it multiple times to check for mistakes. I also managed to calculate an oval prism’s volume and surface area when we where told only to use shapes we knew and this one was not.

A 3D object is designed using TinkerCad or other design software.  The design is optimized for either maximum volume or maximum surface area.  The design should include at least 10 basic 3D shapes.                                                                                           I did a great job at this using 2012 shapes in my design and used a non recommended  shape that i had to find the formulas for. I also managed to fulfill my goal of maximizing volume with a ratio of 4.4mm3 :1 mm2 Volume to surface area.

The surface area and volume are measured, calculated, and compared by ratio.  These factors are explained in detail in a keynote presentation to the class.                     I created my presentation in full detail that included the surface area, volume and ration, of my object on time and presented it. So I think i did a good job at this.

Over all I think that this project was a very fun project. I learned how to design 3d objects and calculate there volume and surface area. This will be useful if I ever get a 3d printer or feel like calculating the volume or surface area of an object cause I’m bored. I definitely would do this project again as it was very fun. Anyhow thats every thing except whats below.

Photos for proof I did my work.

Cya next post.

Coding video games and school an unlikely but good combo

We just finished are latest simatics project. In it we studied atoms, matter,  linear relations and algebra. We studied to help answer our driving question: How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?

Time line

Day one launch

We launched our project and crated a mind map witch we would complete at the end of the project. Saw a demo on what we would be learning about.  We also started studying what we needed to learn and created our scratch accounts to prepare for our final product a video game.

Then over the next few classes we studied atoms and mater. We also started practicing scratch. Then we studied the kinetic molecular theory and started trying to create programs. Along with that we tried to create models of atoms. Then we critiqued each other’s models. We also tested are knowledge with a test (I got a 75% by the way). While that was happening I had already built a pre beta version of my game. By the time we launched are forth milestone our game plan I was nearly on to alpha testing. Then we had spring break. After the break I had launched my alpha version and began refining my game and making it a lot more challenging. 2 classes later I began the final 2 days of alpha testing and fixing. After fixing some possible glitches that made the game to easy on our last weekend of the project I launched beta of my game. Then it was game day we got to play our classmates game and had a ton of fun.

Here are some photos of my work and game

My mind map

My main parts of code in my game

Reflection on my work

All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions. I think I did a good job at this. My work was in on time and was done correctly and efficiently.
Several different atoms/molecules, different states of matter, and particle motion are represented in the finished product.  A historical model of the atom is chosen and implemented. The atoms in my game cool and heat. This is represented by the speed changes by the addition or removal of heat every 15 seconds. The atoms where silicon atoms made with the Dalton model.  
An interactive Scratch coded matter simulator or game is created with logical conditions and functional user controls. The controls work but the game can be very challenging at times. Like when the atoms become a gas you need near perfect timing to get past the atoms.

My game link updates coming soon to make the game a bit better

The project was very fun and feel free to comment game update or suggestions to make the game better. Enjoy

Bye

A Hazardous reflection

We just did DI. What a rollercoaster that was.

I was a member of a technical team. For the last 5 months my team and I have been working on DI. DI is a competition where groups of people work together so create a solution with a prepared skit and an instant challenge that can be anything.

My team was The Hazardous Heros. We where a technical team working to create 2 devices to overcome hazards in an escape. We started of with understanding and recognizing the challenge and rules to know what exactly where we doing. Then we began planning our builds and story. Oh we also had a $200 dollar budget to create this on. My team was Charlie M, Makenzie T, Cameron L, Jessi G, Max M, Sofia G and me Keenan.

Our story involved a Zoom science experiment gone wrong, 2 devices to distract them  and 3 obstacles.

For the obstacles we built a ramp, gravel terrain and tunnel. Our devices where a robot coded by me and a mouse trap car.

I was in charge of the robot and its code and was assisted by Charlie. Sophia was in charge of story assisted by Cameron , Me and Makenzie. Costume team choice elements where led by Makenzie and assisted by Charlie. Jessi led our art team choice elements. Cam designed the gravel terrain and built it with the help of Charlie Max and me. Makenzie also built the Ramp and tunnel.

How the builds went. First me, Charlie and Cam began design and prep of almost everything as we met up and used our time for that. We also began prepping supplies, while that was happening I began my code and began alpha testing on our 3rd meet up. Then me and Charlie built a mouse trap car. Then the story was completed and most plans were finalized. After that Charlie and Cam started the uneven terrain with designs by me and a bit of assistance from max. Over spring break Makenzie built the other 2 hazards. Then over our final 2 weeks Jessi painted the barrier. Charlie and Makenzie met up and created the costumes. Then we had a big meet up and built the ramps for the uneven terrain. Soon we were done.

Day of Presentation went not so well. The mouse trap care failed after hours of testing and fixing with medium success. We brought the wrong supports for the ramp and the uneven terrain which we over built causing problems. But ignore that and our story went well and my robots code worked. Also our instant challenge which all I am allowed to say was it went great.

Below will be a collage of Photos of our work and there will be a video embed to show our presentation as soon as I manage to get ahold of it. There also is links to my teammates blogs.

Charlie

Max

Mackenzie

Cameron

Sofia

Jessie

Bye

Renaissance Project reflection

Hi I just finished my latest PLP 8 humanities project

This project was about studying the time leading up to and the renaissance. Our end goal was to create a Triptych and a paragraph involving part of it. The driving question was “What significant developments emerged from the past and how have do they impact us today?”. We studied this to help out with our goal.

Time line

First we launched the project with a pre view of the project, learning the final goal and developing need to knows. But before that we created memes on innovation. After we launched we simulated renaissance life.

During the loon lake trip we learned about historical significance and how to use super impose X. Knowing how to use Super impose is important as we built our triptychs there.

The next class we studied the middle ages with a timeline video that went to fast. After that we started studying events of the Renaissance.

Over the next classes we built the frames for our triptychs, started studying inventions, people, and art of the renaissance and put it in name charts, crated a KWL chart, and finished learning all the skills of super impose.

Once that was complete we built our triptychs and wrote a paragraph on why one of the things in our triptychs was historically significant.

AND KNOW WHAT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR MY TRIPTYCH AND PARAGRAPH

Paragraph is about the toilet to the left

After studying different parts of the renaissance in my opinion the flushable toilet is one of the most historically significant. The flushable toilet uses a mechanism that flushes waste down the  pipe in a way that traps toxic gases. Eventually jet flushing was added and now days they can even have heating, built in bdays, and entertainment. The effect the flushable toilet and proper disposal of it had great effect. It removed a lot of waste from the streets helping to slow the production and spread of disease. It also made water cleaner in some places as well. Another major effect is that the invention has also lead to a more sanitary earth. This proves that the toilet is one of the most historically significant inventions of the renaissance.     

Description of what is in the triptych

This project went by so fast. But I learned a lot. We studied the middle ages. Then to the renaissance where we studied the inventions, events, art, and religion. We learned how to use super impose x to create photos and art. It was very informational and use full. It also was fun even though we were at school. So I learnt more info.

To end off this post enjoy some of our classes memes.

• Credit Judah

Bye

Trip To Loon Lake

2 weeks ago we got back from loon lake

Loon lake is a lake just above Maple Ridge. We where there for 4 days and 3 nights. The trip included PLP grade 8s and 9s. While we were there we progressed our knowledge, played Lazar tag (by the way I had the most kills in 1 match 22), battle archery, got sleep deprived, ate good food and had a lot of fun.

While there we also had to work on our DI stuff and a book about the trip. I hope you enjoy my book, its embedded below this line.

Photo of every one who stayed till the end.

I think I learned a good bit over the trip. My photoshop skill have gotten a lot better. My teamwork skills in DI also got a bit better. I had a ton of fun even though I was super sleep deprived after only getting 18 hours over the whole trip. The food was amazing especially the desert on the first night. I would 100% go again if I could. 

Cya next post

Destination Imagination 1/2 Refletion

For the past while I have been working on something called Destination Imagination or DI for short. DI is a competition were teams (with cool names) compete to come up with the best solution for a challenge, on top of that we have to make a skit and complete an instant challenge.

There are also different types of challenges, their is technical, scientific, improv, fine arts and many more. I am doing the technical challenge. In the challenge we have to create a story involving an escape that involves 2 devices that overcome 3 hazards, the story also has to involve a skill, and 2 elements that we choose.

Our stages of the creative process we have gone through so far.

The first is recognize; in recognize we learn about the rules of the challenge and what we need to do. This involves learning our budget, task, and confinements that they give us. We also learn about the rules every one has to follow and clarify any questions about what is allowed and what is not. This was very important as it clarified some budgeting things so we did not have to scrap something due to budgeting.

Initiate and collaborate

This is were we design, create, test, and criticize everything about our solution. I can’t give much details as I am not allowed to unfortunately do to certain rules. All I will say is that this stage is one of or if not the most important stages.

We also have instant challenges

These are challenges that we do not know what we are going to attempt till we are about to do it. We practice for these by attempting past challenges from previous years of DI. These are important as it counts to a large amount of our score and can be the winning decision in the competition. I could give a lot of reasons but I don’t want the post to drag on.

Thats all for now

Bye