For the past while in Simatcis we have been creating objects in 3d. This was on our driving question How can we design _________ for maximum volume or surface area. I chose to design an xbox for maximum volume. We also had to use at least 10 shapes and find the total surface area and volume and create a presentation for it.
time line of the project
The project was launched. I began experimenting on Tinkercad a 3D design software.
I began learning volume, and area of and about 2d and 3d objects. We also continued experimenting on Tinkercad.
I continued learning the volume and area of and about 2d and 3d objects. We also did our first required tinker cad challenge where we had to create a rectangular prism to fit the required volume. We also began the decision on what we where making.
I made the final decision on my design, I chose to make an Xbox 1 S to maximize volume. We also continued learning about volume and surface area of and about 2d and 3d objects.
I began learning the formulas necessary to calculate the surface area, and volume of our object.
I put the formulas needed into a document this included triangular prism, cube, and cylinder. We added the photo of our object as well. But as I finished off the project I had to make some adjustments to this and obtain the proper formulas for my shapes as things like a rectangular prism with 3 different sized sides had a slightly different formula. I also had to create the formulas for an oval prism as i could not find one and had to keep tweaking it.
Day 7 And 8
I got the measurements needed to calculate everything and I began the long process of getting the calculations and even after this and after I started working on my presentation I kept on needing to make corrections until finally I had it finished.
I finished my presentation which I had been working on over the weekend and included the final calculations and photos of the design and managed to accomplish my goal of an Xbox to have a more volume than surface area.
Evaluation on how I did
All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions. I think I did well at this, I got all my work done and went over it multiple times to check for mistakes. I also managed to calculate an oval prism’s volume and surface area when we where told only to use shapes we knew and this one was not.
A 3D object is designed using TinkerCad or other design software. The design is optimized for either maximum volume or maximum surface area. The design should include at least 10 basic 3D shapes. I did a great job at this using 2012 shapes in my design and used a non recommended shape that i had to find the formulas for. I also managed to fulfill my goal of maximizing volume with a ratio of 4.4mm3 :1 mm2 Volume to surface area.
The surface area and volume are measured, calculated, and compared by ratio. These factors are explained in detail in a keynote presentation to the class. I created my presentation in full detail that included the surface area, volume and ration, of my object on time and presented it. So I think i did a good job at this.
Over all I think that this project was a very fun project. I learned how to design 3d objects and calculate there volume and surface area. This will be useful if I ever get a 3d printer or feel like calculating the volume or surface area of an object cause I’m bored. I definitely would do this project again as it was very fun. Anyhow thats every thing except whats below.
Photos for proof I did my work.
Cya next post.