Scimatics Design Challenge!

Driving Question: To design an object for maximum surface area or volume.

Milestone one

In milestone 1 we chose what we were going to design and how we were going to maximize surface area or volume.

My object

I decided to design/make a Catamaran. A Catamaran is a boat with 2 skinny hulls in parallel with each other. In this design I decided to maximize surface area because of the flat base of the boat, the large sail and so it could travel faster.

Milestone 2

In milestone 2 we designed our objects using an app called Tinkercad. The shapes I used in my design were 4 rectangular prisms,1 triangle, 1 pyramid, 8 triangular prisms and 2 cylinders. I used mostly rectangular and triangular prisms because these were the shapes we had learned  formulas for.

Formulas 

The formulas I used were 

Rectangular Prism: 

Surface area= 2(lxw) + 2(wxh) + 2(lxh)

Area= lxwxh

Triangular prism: 

Surface area= 2(bxh) +(lxs1)+(lxs2)+(lxs3) 2

Area= (bxh)xl

Cylinder:

Surface area= 2πr2 +(πdh)

Area= πr2xh

Pyramid:

Surface area= The formal for this was insanely complicated but basically you find the area of the 4 sides using bxh/2 then find the area of the bottom square and add them together

Area= lxwxh/3

Catamaran model    

Milestone 3

Milestone 3 was doing the calculations of every object and finding the total surface area/volume of your design. Finding the total volume was fairly easy because you just had to add all the shapes volume up but finding the surface area was more difficult because you had to subtract the sides of shapes that were touching other shapes. Here are my calculations.  

Did I achieve my beginning goal 

As I said in the beginning of this post my goal was to have a higher surface area than volume, mainly for faster speed (which is what catamarans are designed for). In the end I didn’t achieve my goal, but I was close. I had an ending surface area of 48,117.90 and an ending volume of 50,428.98cm which means my overall ratio was 1.05:1, volume to surface area. I was very close to my goal but to fully achieve it I think I could have made the sail bigger and the cabin smaller.

I had a lot of fun doing this project and getting to actually design something. One day I want to become a designer so it was cool learning how to use design software. Thanks for reading! Have a great rest of your day 🙂 . 

DI (the final presentation)

A couple months ago I wrote a post about something called DI (Designation Imagination). We have finally finished this project and presented it at the DI convention last weekend. We were put into groups of 6 or 7 so you can check out one of my teammates blogs here, to see there take on the experience.

Recap 

As written in my other DI blog post our challenge was to overcome 3 different hazards (that we built ourselves) with 2 devices we built. One of the devices could use electric and the other one couldn’t. We also had to create a story to go along with our devices that was creative and worked along our robots completing the hazards.

Main challenge:

Our main challenge definitely did not go as well as I would have wanted but we still worked well as a team. Out of the 3 hazards we only were able to overcome 1 (the tunnel) but we still had a good story plot and we also showed out team choice elements well. You can watch a videos of our performance here.

IMG_1385  IMG_1386 IMG_1385

Team choice elements 

For the team choice elements we choose to do art and the costumes. To show how our everyone on our team enjoys doing art we all drew/painted on the ramp we created to show our artistic abilities. For the costumes (which I made) I bought 4 white shirts and soaked them in tee water to give them a dirty colour then I put rips and blood to make the shirts look more zombie like. 

Hazards

There were 3 different hazards we built a tunnel, a ramp and uneven terrain, I built the tunnel and the ramp. For the tunnel I made a wooden frame, like a table and then I staple a piece of tarp over it. For the ramp I also made a smaller wooden frame the I took 3 pieces of cardboard 1 for the top two for the ramp, then I duct taped the edges so it was foldable. Lastly for the even terrain we hade made a wood frame and put a piece of tarp under it, to make a kind of bag. Then we filled this bag with gravel. 

Story

Our story was basically about a group of kids who our doing an online class on zoom. In this class they were leaning how to make a stuffy into a friend/pet. But the zoom call glitches and the kids accidentally but sea salt instead of regular salt which turns the stuffys into monsters. The kids decided that to lure the monsters away there going to build robots that the monsters will get distracted by. After this doesn’t work Kennan (on of the kids) runs super fast so the monsters chase him and not the others. in the end the kids learn that if they put maple leaves on the stuffys heads they turn back into zombies. The story went fairly well, it was something we did better in the performance. The judges said we had good creativity with our story but we could have made it clearer to understand.

What I learned 

During this huge DI project I learned a lot about how to work as a team and how to communicate better. Im definitely not the best t communication and Ive had trouble with it in the past but during this project I was able to talk and share lots of good ideas to help my team progress. In the end Im very proud of how our team came together and was able to show what we did. Ive also learned that next time we do DI our team should definitely meet up more and start building way earlier.

Thanks for reading about my DI experience, hope you have a great day or evening :D.

Coding with science :p

We recently just finished one of my for sure favourite scimatics projects. In this project we have to code a small game/applet in scratch about atoms. And add information explains how the KMT works.

Milestone 1: Project start 

Just like every other project we started with a Mind Map were we wrote our questions, what we knew and terms that we learnt. When we finished the project we added a section to answer our  question. You can see what I wrote down below.

Milestone 2: Building Knowledge 

For milestone 2 we drew different atomic models. The different atomic models were

Atomic model – 1808 (John Dalton)

-All matter is made up of small indestructible atoms

-Atoms cannot be created or destroyed 

-Atoms of different elements can form compounds 

Plum pudding model – 1904 (J.J Thompson) 

-An atom has no electric charge 

-In an atom both positive and negative charges are equal 

-An atom is a sphere of positive charge with negatively charged electrons inside inside like a blueberry muffin 

Nuclear model – 1911 (Ernest Rutherford)

-Atoms are mostly made up of empty space 

-Most mass in an atom is in the centre in one tiny dense positively charged core called a nucleus

-Electrons are located outside the nucleus 

Planetary model – 1913 (Niels Bohr)

– Electrons orbit the nucleus 

-The energy of an orbit is related to its size.

-Electrons move to different orbit shells when gaining or losing energy 

Quantum Mechanical Model – 1926 (Erwin Schrodinger)

-Electrons don’t move around the nucleus in orbits they move around in a cloud of electrons 

The models drew were The Dalton model – For sugar, The Plum pudding model – For sodium, The Nuclear model – For carbon and the planetary model – For neon.

Milestone 3&4: Designing and Planning  

As you know the final product of this project is a small applet/game that we code in Scratch about atoms and the KMT (Kinetic Molecular Theory). My plan/design was to create a game were you were a water molecule, and you had to dodge all the other molecules as they changed states (stared moving faster or slower).

My first plan was definitely different to my final game. I had planned to make eight levels were the molecules slowly speed up, but then I needed up only making 3 levels each a different state. I also planned to add different types of molecules that you could play to my game but I only ended up having the water molecule.     

Milestone 5: Developing the game 

You can play my game by visiting this link, https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/658542456

Your goal is to get through the 3 different levels without touching any of the water molecules as they speed up. The programming for this game I found to be fairly difficult because I had barley ever coded on scratch before, but I was able to find some tutorials and YouTube videos on coding in scratch.  

Curricular competencies

There were 3 main competencies this project. The first one is Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. I feel like I did well on this because I actually really liked this project and I learned a lot of new cool facts.   

The second competency was Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies. I also feel like I did good on this because I was able to use my iPad to find information to help me on my project.

The last competency was Reasoning ad Analyzing: Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games. Lastly I definitely did best on this because I was able to grow and learn how to code on scratch.

In the end I learned a lot about atoms and how kinetic energy works. This was an amazingly fun project, hope you enjoyed reading :].

The renaissance and its importance.

The renaissance was a revolutionary time period in human history. Before this project I barley knew anything about the renaissance, so this was a very interesting topic for me.

For this project we had to choose a piece of art, an innovator, an invention and an event from the renaissance and compare it to modern times.

What I choose

Piece of Art- The piece of art from the renaissance I choose was the “Mona Lisa”. The Mona Lisa had a great impact on art culture of the renaissance. It now sits in the Louvre museum and is one of the most famous/well known pieces of art.

Innovator- The innovator I choose was Galileo Galilei. Galileo was a famous astronomer and philosopher who invented the Galilean telescope, hydrostatic balance, thermometers and compasses.

Invention- The invention I choose was the printing press because it was definitely one of the most impactful inventions of the renaissance. It was the first way to mass produce media/books, before it was invented each book was handwritten and only priest, popes and royalty had access to them.

Event- The event I choose was the shift to humanism. Before the renaissance the main religion was Christianity/Catholicism until people had access to the bible. Some people after reading the bible interpreted it differently which lead to the split of Christianity into Catholicism which then lead to humanism and freedom of religion.

We then made a collage to show how the renaissance relates to modern times using an app called SuperimposeX which is a photo editing app. This is what I made…

I compared the Mona Lisa to a piece of art by Banksy called “Crayon for Closure” because Banksy is a famous modern graffiti artist and his art is widely known around the world like the Leonard de Vinci. I compared Galileo Galilei to Neil deGrasse Tyson. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist, planetary scientist and author. He studied at Harvard university for 3 years and he was a research associate at Princeton. Neil deGrasse Tyson has written 17 books including Space Chronicles, Star Talk and Cosmic queries. I compared the printing press to technology/iPads because back during the renaissance the printing press was basically what technology is to us today. Lastly I compared the shift to humanism to the array of religions we have today. Instead of just having one religion (Christianity) we have hundreds including Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and Hinduism.

For the second part of the project we had to write a paragraph about what you thought was the most important thing/event/person. I choose the printing press. You can read my paragraph down below.

The printing press revolutionized human kind as we know it. The reasons printing presses were such an important part of history are that they revolutionized communication allowing for better educational opportunities for men, and allowing the splitting of Christianity into separate sects. The printing press led to wide access of a variety of information for all levels of society. This has continued today in the form of the internet which allows people worldwide, regardless of income, access to the same information. This had both good (everyone has access) and bad (false information) affects. Previous to the printing press eduction was limited to priest, popes and royalty. As printing made information (books) more accessible learning became more common among the general public, which also led to questioning of societal structures. Once Gutenberg invented the press people were able to spread knowledge and books worldwide. One book -The Bible- was printed widely which gave people the knowledge to have their own opinions about religious and political ideas. As you can see the printing press is responsible for the spreading of knowledge leading to political and religious changes and ultimately to the world we live in today.

Sources: 1,2,3

What I learned
I learned all about specific events in the renaissance that I didn’t know before. I also learned a lot about photo editing, like masking and layering which helped me make my collage. Lastly I learned a lot about writing paragraphs, creating topic sentences and strong opinions about a topic.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day! 😀

Learning at Loon Lake :D!

We recently went on a trip to Loon Lake in Maple Ridge for 4 days. We got to learn a lot of amazing things by doing something outside of the classroom. I made my second book this year about Loon Lake and reflected on my experience there. You can visit my book here.

What I enjoyed 

I enjoyed meeting a bunch of new people and getting to know my classmates better. I also enjoyed all the fun actives we got to do, including fort building, laser tag, battle archery and watching Back To The Future. 

What I didn’t enjoy

I found that some parts of the trip to be quite stressful, especially on the first day when we were just getting settled in. Also I found it fairly difficult to sleep so for the last 2 days I was pretty exhausted. 

What I would do next trip

On our next field study I would definitely try to take more photos, because once I started working on the reflection book I quickly learned that I didn’t have enough photos and videos. I would also work on going to bed earlier because by the end of the week I was super sleep deprived.

What I learned 

On this trip I learned a lot. First I learned to communicate better with my peers. Once you getto know your classmates it’s definitely easier to communicate. I also learned a about organization, on the 3rd day we had a lesson from one of our teachers about how to stay organized and on top of all your work. I found some of these tips useful for helping me now, especially when I’m swamped with homework.

Meals

On our trip we got to eat a lot of delicious food. Some of my favourite meals were burgers, waffles, lasagna and fajitas. I also got the opportunity to try new foods, like before this trip I had never really eaten coleslaw (which is a type of salad), and I don’t think I had ever had fajitas before which I enjoyed quite a lot. 

Exploring the forest 

We got to explore the forest around Loon Lake a lot. On the first day we got to go on a nature walk around part of the lake. We also go to do fort building in the forest, which was really fun. The best thing we did in there forest was either capture the flag of laser tag. We got to lots of fun stuff while also living in the nature around us which was awesome. 

Loon Lake was definitely an amazing experience and Im very glad that I went. I learned lots of things that will help me later on in life which is one of the main reasons I joined PLP. I had so much fun getting to know my classmates and doing all the fun activities. Thanks for reading my blog, have a good day.

DI (Doing technical stuff :p)

Hi! This blog post is about a project we’ve been working on for a couple of months called DI. DI stands for a program called Destination Imagination. In Destination Imagination we get put into a group of 6 or 7 students and given a challenge we’re we have to find a solution and present it. 

Our challenge 

In this year of DI I got assigned to the technical challenge. In this challenge your goal is to build 2 robots (one using electricity and one using a different form of power) to overcome 3 hazards that you design and build. You also have to create and present a story about why the robots you built are going over these hazards and present the story during the presentation.

Instant challenges

The other section of DI is the instant challenges. An instant challenge is a random challenge (that you don’t know beforehand) that you usually have 2-3 minutes to complete the challenge that they give you. The reason they put this in DI is to see you how well you work as a team to come up with a solution and how creative your ideas are.

Planning skills 

DI takes a lot of work so Ive learned a lot about planning skills. Like for example making timelines to know when you want done by a certain date, to stay on schedule. Especially when this is such a big project in a little amount of time. Another good skill is being able to spread out the roles so all the work isn’t down to one person while everyone else is doing nothing.

What I enjoy about DI

I really enjoy that DI has given us the opportunity to strength our teamwork and building skills. Most projects in school are just written assignments where you aren’t in control. I like how DI is a very hands on project and you get to control your solution. You can make anything you want to solve the problem.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed.

I’ve really learned a lot this year

Hi! Today I’m going to talk/write about my mPOL. If you didn’t know this stands for Mid-Year presentation of learning. In my mPOL i’m going to talk about all my favourite projects this year and what I learned from them. I am also going to answer the driving question “How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?”.

Learning habits and systems 

One of the habits/systems I’ve gotten this year is using the app “Things”. Things is an app which you can put an assignments you have and put a due date to help keep you organized. You can also add to do lists and notes to help you remember the important parts of the criteria. Things has helped keep me organized throughout the whole year so I’ve been able to hand everything in on time. Another habit/system I’ve gotten this year is plugging my iPad in every night so I’m prepared for the next day of school.

Core competency 

Communication: For this my goal was to get to profile 3. Profile 3 was “I communicate purposefully, using forms and strategies I have practiced. I feel like I am on my way to achieving this. One project that really helped me achieve this was the poetry project, because in poetry we had to learn how to speak with meaning to preform our poetry live. I feel like i could work on communicating more ideas when i’m doing group projects because I usually have very good ideas but I don’t share them.

Collaborating: My goal for this was profile 2. Profile 2 was “In familiar situations, I cooperate with others for specific purposes”. I feel like I’ve accomplished this because in familiar situations i’m able to collaborate with other people and help my teams succeed. 

Creative thinking: For this I was aiming to get to Profile 3. Profile 3 was “I can get new ideas in areas in which I have an interest and build my skills to make them work”. I feel like i have almost accomplished this. I am able to come up with ideas about certain topics. One way I show this skill is by my mind maps which I’ve done in scimatics before.

Critical and Reflective Thinking: I was aiming for profile 4. Profile 4 is “I can gather and combine new evidence with what I already know to develop reasoned conclusions, judgments, or plans”. I am definitely working towards this goal. I am now able to gather evidence and develop my own conclusions, but I still have a lot of trouble doing this. 

Personal Awareness and Responsibility: The profile I choose to aim for was Profile 3: I can make choices that help me meet my wants and needs and increase my feelings of well-being. I take responsibility for my actions. I feel like I have definitely accomplished this goal. I’ve become really good at making decisions that don’t hurt me and I also almost always take responsibility for my actions.

Positive Personal and Cultural Identity: For this I was aiming to get to Profile 4. Profile 4 is “I have pride in who I am. I understand that I am a part of larger communities.” I feel like I have accomplished this. I have pride in who I am but i also recognize that I am part of larger community and I need to respect other people.

Social Awareness and Responsibility: For this I chose Profile 2: In familiar settings, I can interact with others and my surroundings respectfully. I think that I have accomplished this because I am able to respect the people around me and in familiar settings I am able to help the people around me.

What I have learned this year 

Humanities                                                                                                                               

In Humanities my favourite project was definitely Medium is Message, because I want to go to business college and one day open a successful business so I was very fun being able to
work with clients and learn how the world of advertising works. I also really enjoyed designing the ad and I was very proud when my ad got chosen. I feel like I could have worked on my communication skills during this project because I didn’t talk much during the interview and I could have added more ideas to our group ad.

Scimatics 

My favourite project in scimatics was definitely Laser laws whichever we just finished this week. I learned a lot about how light works and how to work with a team to make something very difficult to accomplish easier. I also loved how we got to actually make a laser display instead of just working on textbooks about lasers, this is one of the reason why I enjoy PLP so much. What I could have worked on was communicating with my team more. I did help but I didn’t really come up with any of the main ideas so I could have done better on that.

Maker                                                                                                                                        

My favourite project in maker was constructive creative communication. I learned all about
communicating in different ways, using photography and art. I really enjoyed this project because I love making art. My favourite thing I made in this project was the still life object. For this I drew a cactus and used shading and perspective to make it look more realistic. I also really enjoyed the photography section. I learned about using perspective and filters. Learning how to use editing apps and taking creative photos has really helped me make my blog more creative. I could have improved on doing well in every assignment because I definitely did better on some assignments than others.

Just wrote an E-book :D

Hi! This was our last project of maker grade 8 and we wrote an E-book with a bunch of poems we wrote. You can visit my e-book here

In this e-book we wrote 9 different poems about us and our worldview. The 9 poems we wrote were

A simile poem: A simile is a phrase comparing 2 unlike things using like or as. For example as quiet as a mouse is a simile.

An Extended metaphor poem: A metaphor is comparing 2 unlike things but not using like or as. For example my heart is a rose that grows for you, it compares a heart and a rose.

A haiku poem: A haiku poem is a poem that has 3 lines. The first line has 5 syllables the second line has 7 syllables and the last lines has 5 syllables.

Found Poem: A poem made with pieces of text from another paragraph.

Imagery poem: A poem describing a scene to the 5 senses.

Sound poem: A sound poem uses onomatopoeias like Bang! Or Smash!

Experience poem: A poem describing and experience you lived. This poem uses denotation/ connotation, mood and a specific theme.

Personification poem: A poem that gives an un-human object human characteristics.

Self-Portrait poem: A poem describing yourself. Like what you look like and what you enjoy.

Thanks for reading my e-book and blog. Have a great day!

Laser project! :D

Hi! For scimatics we just finished our laser laws project. This was a very interesting project where we learned about the law of reflection and the Pythagorean theorem. The driving question of this project was “How can we test the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection?” and we broke this project down into 5 milestones.

Milestone 1

Milestone 1 was “What do I already know about light and what do I need to know to do this project well?”. To answer this we made a mind map. In the mind map we wrote what we already knew about light & lasers and any question we had. Here is my mind-map.

Mind Map 2

Milestone 2

For this milestone the question we answered was “How does light behave in predictable ways?” For this we did a lab report on an experiment we did. In the experiment we had a small laser/light and we pointed it at a mirror and wrote about how it reflected. Some terms we learned in this section were 

Normal: A line perpendicular to the plain that the light is reflecting off of.

Line of incident: The line of light that hits the plain first. 

Line of reflection: The line of light that reflects off the plain.

Angle of incident: The angle between the line of incident and the normal.

Angle of reflection: The angle between the normal and the line of reflection (this angle is the same as the angle of incident)

Here is the lab report I wrote

Milestone 3

In milestone 3 we answered the question “How are the sides of right triangles related?”. For this section we did a lot of textbooks about the Pythagorean theorem. The Pythagorean theorem is A squared + B squared = C squared. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side of a right triangle. Another thing we learned about in Milestone 3 was Pythagorean triples. The most famous Pythagorean triple is 3 squared, 4 squared and 5 squared because if you square 3 and square 4 it equals 9+16 which equals 25 and 25 is 5 squared. There are lots of other Pythagorean triples. You can use these to see if a triangle is a right triangle.

Milestone 4 

In milestone 4 we answered  “How can we design a laser display that tests the Pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection?”. For this we used an app were we could make a simulation of a laser display. Then we made a lab report to try to prove the Law of Reflection and Pythagorean theorem. Here is my lab report

Milestone 5 

The last milestone we answered was “How can we build a laser display that tests the Pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection?”. This was our final product for the whole project. We had to make a real life laser display using mirrors and a small non powerful laser. We presented this by putting smoke so you could see the laser display. The display that we tried to make was a right angle triangle to show what we learned about the Pythagorean theorem. Here are some pictures we took of our display.

Curricular competency

This section is about the rubric of the project (what we were meant to do). The first curricular competency is Questioning and predicting: Demonastre a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. I think I did ok for this because I was able to ask a lot of questions and I was very into this project. I also handed all my work in on time.

The second curricular competency is Communicating and Representing: Represents mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial and symbolic forms. I think I did really good on this curricular competency because I understood all the math and made sure to show the process of my work.

The last curricular competency is Applying and innovating: Co-operatively design projects. For this curricular competency I feel like I did ok, but I could improve on helping my team mates more and contributing more ideas.

Thanks for reading. Have a good day!

Sewing Q&A (:

Hi! For this post I decided to do a Q&A about very common question asked about sewing. Hope you enjoy!

Is it difficult to start sewing?

No, not really. If you really want to become good at sewing, then it’s a pretty easy to learn. It’s a bit more difficult to learn things like making your own patterns but overall it’s very easy.

Where can you find good fabrics? 

Made by me sewing sells really good fabrics and they also do lessons. Spool of thread sells lots of nice and creative designs and they sell patterns for lots of types of clothing. You can also buy fabrics at Costco and Michales.

What are some easy things to sew?

You can either create something like a pillow case or a stuffed animal. Or you can start off with a simple shirt which can be fairly easy. Here’s one of the first things I made…

What supplies do you need to start sewing?

1. A sewing machine –  There are lots of companies that sell these. 

2. Fabric scissors  – To cut out fabric for your patterns 

3. Unpicker – To unpick seams when you accidentally sew in the wrong place.

4. Chalk pencils – To draw where you need to cut during hemming and cutting out patterns

5. Pins and pin cushion – To pin where you need to sew so your fabric doesn’t move while sewing. 

6. Thread – For actually sewing  

Thanks for reading! I hope I answered a question you might have had.