Humanities · Maker · Science

Tpol 2023

What am I most proud of this year?

There are 2 projects that I am so proud of this year. My Alberta book and my Avatar video. The reason I’m proud of these projects is because even when I had difficulties I was able to create a product that I was proud of. 

Alberta Book

This project I finished very efficiently and didn’t procrastinate so I was able to get a lot of time for editing. This is a habit that I strive to have because I procrastinate a lot. This project made me see how much easier and less stressful it is to complete your work over a long period of time instead of doing all the work right before this due.

Avatar video

This video needed a lot of new skills that I had never used. I had to find someone to interview and I had to make a detailed video which I had never done before. Even though I had many struggles I was able to make a video that I was super proud of and got to show at the exhibition.

What I am least proud of this year? 

I would say I’m least proud of my frankenstuffie project because I didn’t execute my story or video very well in my opinion. I struggled a lot because I had to write a story and I struggle with writing. So I had to spend a lot of time trying to make a detailed story and then on top of that make a video. Even though I struggled with the story I think that my trailer actually turned out good.

I also wish that I had done something more exciting for the spring exhibition, I made a infographic even though I had the opportunity to make anything I wanted to. I wish I had made a model or done some form of art.

What is the most interesting thing I learned this year?

I learned how to interview people for information to make documentaries. I find this skill very useful for the future and interesting. 

What skills do you feel you most improved on?

I feel that my communication skills have significantly improved since last year and over the last term. I am now able to communicate with groups to plan and achieve projects. I also feel as if I have gotten better at giving my ideas to groups and always find a way to help, 

What skills do I want to develop? 

I want to learn how to ask for help when I need it. I struggle to communicate with my teachers when I don’t understand something or need help with assignments. I think that this skill is an extremely important skill that I will need for the rest of my life because you will never always understand something on the first try. So knowing when and how to ask for help is a skill that I strive to get. To do this I will start by emailing my teachers when I need help and progress from that till I’m confident enough to ask question by raising my hand in class.

I also want to become better at writing. Over the last couple projects I have really struggled with expressing my ideas in words. Even though I have made significant strides in my ability to write I still really struggle with it and I hope that over the next few years of PLP I am able to learn how to write long and detailed paragraphs with ease. I need to expand my vocabulary and write more advanced paragraphs/posts. To achieve this goal I am going to read for 30 minutes a day and keep a journal where I write about anything. This will help me expand my vocabulary, my spelling and my overall writing skills. 

What did I most enjoy about this year?

My favourite part of this year was either sewing the frankenstuffies or winter exhibition.

My frankenstuffie 

The winter exhibition 

The reason I enjoyed the winter exhibition is because we got a lot of control over what we did. We got to design most of the rooms in the exhibition and we got lots of control. I also liked the theme Avatar because throughout all the rooms if felt very consistent.

Why am I ready for grade 10?

I feel that 8 am ready for grade 10 because my abilities to learn have improved so much in this last year. I have made significant strides in my communication skills with my peers and I have been able to competently understand how to critique my projects.