CBC creative writing contest

Hi guys, this week in the student blogging challenge we could do whatever we want so I decided to show you the short story that I’m submitting to the CBC creative writing challenge. The rules for the challenge was it had to be the first page of a novel set in 2168 that is about an issue today and how it played out in the future. Now, without further adieu here is: Shot. Enjoy!

“NO!” I screamed, Charlie was shot. I ran to his side trying not to be shot down myself. When I got to him he had luckily only been shot in the leg but he had already lost a lot of blood.

“Ok Charlie just breathe,” I say “I’ll wrap up the wound as well as I can, but I’ll still have to get you to a medic.”

“Noooo.” Charlie moaned “You know I hate the medics. They’re just so full of themselves.”

“Well too bad you’re just going to have to suck it up this one time, and I need to get you out of here anyway.”

Charlie grunted in protest but he had already lost so much blood he couldn’t do much else. I pulled him up and dragged him towards a patch of thorn bushes, we got to the bush and I pulled out my gun and started shooting at the Praedo, or as they used to be called, the Miracanas.

Years ago the Miracan president decided that Miraca was too chaotic and that there should only be one leader, him, so slowly but surely he changed the U.S.M from a democracy to a dictatorship. However, for the fifth dictator, total control of Miraca wasn’t enough for him, he decided that he wanted control of the world. He sent his army to forcefully take pieces of land from countries such as Coiex and Anbuc but soon he had control of over fifteen countries. The rest of the world turned a blind eye to what was happening, Annanak included, we had other things to worry about, but then they came for us.

Which brings us back here, anyone over the age of twelve had to go and fight, school children were taught only about guns and warfare. I had just turned 12 a couple weeks ago and I was lucky enough to be stationed at my school to watch for potential threats. At 0500 hours today the Preado sent a group of at least 300 men to take the school and find the general that was living here in hiding, everyone else was to be killed on sight. I was given the job of being the general’s personal bodyguard when the Preado came which also means killing him if he got into enemy hands, the only thing is the general is also my best friend, Charlie.

Comment down below your thoughts on Shot and how you think it will end.

2 Replies to “CBC creative writing contest”

1. Hi Grace,
    I liked this post because you have mentioned one of the most important society problems in U.S
    Actually the permission to people to have gun with them will makes the everywhere dangerous.
    I think if the goverment’s securities (police and…) be strong enough, nobody needs to hold a gun because there should be many unreliable people who can use the gun in a wrong way to kill the citizens.
    Thank you for your post.

be happy

Astaneh

#STUBC commenter

1. Hi Astaneh, thank you for your comment, I appreciate your thoughts but I actually think that police and security should be able to carry guns and only use them as a last resort. However, I do agree with you that you shouldn’t just give a gun to anyone, they should have the proper permits, training, and a clean criminal record. It should be much harder than it actually is to get hold of a gun in the U.S,
      Thank you for your input.
      Sincerely,
      Grace