Indie’s 3am thoughts

Welcome to Elmo’s world

Stories of Hope

“Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson

What is Hope? How do we define it? And, what makes a story, one of Hope?

What lessons and inspiration can we draw from the stories of individuals and communities that have faced tragedy and overcome adversity?

Hope is a tricky thing, especially to define and state that something is hopeful or inspirational. Our task for this project was to gather evidence and examples of stories throughout history, that included 4 key ideas, adding up to the idea of a story of hope.

The key ideas were:

1. Adversity
  2. Resilience
  3. Survival
  4. Hope

We did investigations on articles for all of these key ideas, to build our understanding on what makes a story of Hope. 

I picked out 3 stories to demonstrate what makes a story of Hope, and what lessons and inspirations we can draw out of the three specific stories. Because this project paired with a trip, my examples are all from the same area; the southern part of the USA. My examples come from Texas, and Oklahoma, with the evidence embedded in the history.

Before we move onto the video I made, and how that all came about, I wanted to share the main idea of this whole post, which is my answer to the big question above. 

Stories of hope give people a new sense of community, a desire to make change, and a willingness to help shape the future.

Stories of Hope Screenplay

Making this video was a challenge, because it’s so hard to condense all of this research and all of the ideas about Hope and adversity that I have come across over the course of the project. So, I decided to make an extended cut of the video, one that I was very proud of, because it goes a little more in depth on the subjects and the evidence, but was just too long to force everyone to watch.

Thanks for reading and watching! I hope you learned a little bit about Hope, and how people throughout history have overcome struggles with the hand they were dealt to entirely new levels, pushing through and showcasing all that being human is.

To learn about the trip click here

indiras • May 19, 2023