Alberta Work Ethic Reflection.

I have already done one post on how amazing Alberta was this year, but that mainly focused on  my project which was “how does place impact education”, but in this post I will be answering the question of “how did I persist and manage my impulsivity so that I could question, think, and complete my project, and also have a good time during the trip”. I will use documents such as movies, short videos, and pictures to answer this question 

The first piece of evidence that I have that shows I was able to mange my impulsivity was my group Ghost Town video, and since we only had one hour to film the whole thing, this will be a good example of my ability to stay focused  and on task the whole time.

As soon as we arrived in the ghost town we had to immediately start to film other wise our time would have been wasted, so during the whole hour all of us (Kaden , Kaia , Grace , Ciara ) where 100% focused on our task ahead. In my opinion we succeeded in getting all the required shots to be able to complete our final video. We even looked at extra shots that could help support the theme and give our video a little boost toward keeping the audience hooked to see what happens next.

Usually my impulsivity is to zone out if the subject doesn’t engage me, but that wasn’t the case in Alberta because I found the places we went and the people we met to be very new and interesting and therefore easy to pay attention to. I think the reason why it was so easy for me to be engaged is because the tasks that we had to do were so fun and exciting that it was impossible to think of anything else.

My second example is the Royal Terrell museum, this shows that I payed attention to everything that was around me, and my example is my Royal Terrell video. 

During our visit to the museum I was very interested about this place and what it contained, which is dinosaurs of course, but the incredible collection of bones and other pieces that show evidence that the dinosaurs were here before, and how amazing they were. So if I had gotten distracted by other things, then this whole experience would have been a waste and there is no way I am going to let that happen.

Now to talk a little bit about keeping an open mind. It was very important to be open to everything that was going on during this entire trip, but how did I do that so that each day was new and interesting, well the main reason that I was able to keep and open mind was because most of the things we did on the trip where new to me. Therefore because I had never done any of them, each day was like a surprise, and that kept me looking forward to each and everyday (also because everything we did was very awesome).

The next part was collect data for my final project and this took little bits of the whole trip so being aware all the time helped me look for answers and for my question ( how does place impact education). one thing that definitely helped me through this project was have an open mind. I know I already spoke about having an open mind and the importance of it, but this felt a little bit different from that, this was having an open mind when talking to strangers, learning about our surroundings, teachers advice. This was basically keeping an open mind to everything and everyone around me because that way I not only got the most information, but also the most meaningful information as well, so I wasn’t just getting yes, no answers, it was more like I was getting whole statements from professionals on their opinions about my question. That is the type of information I felt I needed to complete my video and answer my question, and that is why I am bringing it up right now.

Here is the video that I made from all the interview and experiences during Alberta.

The last part of my question at the top is did I have fun. Yes I most definitely did, I had so many new opportunities to try things I had never done before. Some things came as a surprise, as something I had not imagined doing ever, but some were more expected but engaging all the same. I had the opportunity to learn more about my classmates and there strengths and weakness, and maybe a little more about myself as well.

In the end I think that I have succeeded in persisting to keep my impulsivity so that I could experience Alberta without distraction. This was an opportunity for me to travel a little bit and see a new part of Canada that I had not been to before, but also I chance to learn a lot more about the people there and how it is similar and different to British Columbia. Also I learned more about how people in Alberta value education, and how they are able to educate others with different tactics in order to reach large amounts of people.

With that I will wrap up this blog post.

That’s all for now.