Oregon Ad Reflection

What’s up it’s Ben again and, as promised in my Deep Cove Ad Reflection, this is my Oregon Ad Reflection. My PLP class went to Newport on October 13th and we came back on the 19th. In Oregon we got new groups and a new business and we made ads for them. We used the same method as our Deep Cove ads process. Interview the business, find out how they advertise and what they want to advertise, and then make an advertisement. 

My group, Meg, Kaia, Thomas, and Jude, made ads for Clarks Restaurant. Clarks wanted us to show people that they were a family friendly restaurant. My first ad looked a lot like my other ads I made in our Deep Cove project.

My first ad was a mess. The two fonts for “Clarks” and “Family Friendly” did not match. “Family Friendly” was serif and Clarks was sans-serif. Serif is simple but easy to read while sans-serif is flashy and good for titles. The two different font types do not go well right beside eachother. My ad also had two messages. “The best burgers” and “ Family Friendly”. Finally, my picture was not the best quality. 

My second ad draft wasn’t much better. I did change the font for Clarks but I still had two messages. In an effort to make the picture better quality I blurred the outside which didn’t really help. Also, I added a green tint to the ad which, now that I look back, wasn’t a good idea.

For my third ad draft I tried something I’d never done before. I made an ad using a collage. I think the layout was pretty good but I didn’t like how it was all in black and white. I realize now that I didn’t have any information about the business. 

My fourth ad was the exact same except it was in colour and I had information. I think this is the best ad I’ve ever made and I’m pretty proud of it. It just shows that through weeks of thought and work, something comes out that you can be proud of.

• First Ad Draft

Overall I think this was a fun project. I got to use the skills I learned from my Deep Cove ad project and Pound and Grain in making an ad for a business in a completely different country. If you ever happen to be near Clarks I definitely recommend it. Anyways thanks for reaching the bottom of this post and comment below any thoughts or questions, I will reply to every one. Peace y’all!

3 thoughts on “Oregon Ad Reflection

1. Judi says:

Hi Ben,
    I like the collage effect you created in your final ad. It sends a big message in a small space, in a very inviting way.
    Do you find yourself now evaluating ads when you see them, even if you are not interested in the product?
    Judi

1. benjamindinh says:

Hi Judi,

I do! This project really opened my eyes to how companies advertise and I can understand how and why they are using the advertising techniques they are using. Did this post change how you view advertisements too?

1. Judi says:

Hello again,
        Yes I am looking at ads differently, Ben. Even if I am not interested in the product, I am curious now as to what exactly drew my eye to it…..what did I like about it. Colour? Font? Or, what did I not like about it? Its quite amazing how these little things all add up to a greater impact on the consumer.

Judi