This was my first PLP trip for grade 8! My class and I went on a field study to Oregon that I just came back from. It was amazing to go and learn about so many things. We went to Warrenton, Newport, and Tenino. I had fun from seeing the beautiful beaches and scenery, to learning in those environments. 

During this trip I have learned many interesting facts about Oregon and all of the places we visited. Out of all of the fun activities of learning, I found the most memorable and interesting was about the history of Fort Stevens. Re-inactors were there with items from a stethoscope, to a basket full of many things that they dropped from the planes, from the war. All of the things there were from the war too. I also learned about the cannons they used, and about the underground place, where they stayed to be safe. One of my favourite things I learned about was how the Japanese submarine shot at Fort Stevens 17 times, but after many years of training for the soldiers and them waiting, the didn’t shoot back. They didn’t do that because all of those 17 times they missed, so the person in charge decided not to give away their hiding place. 

Another fun activity I found very amusing was the workshops. The first workshop we did was a race for crabs. Your group was supposed to race two different crabs. My group choose to make them race against a crab who was small verse a crab who was bigger. We predicted the smaller crab would win, but the bigger one did. We also raced a female verse male crab, and the female won, for all of the studies. The other workshop was two things. We learned how to slurp up shrimp from the beach, and learned about the body of the shrimp and why scientists are slurping them. They are doing this because shrimp are starting to become extinct from these parasites. So if the scientists collect them, then they can detach these parasites from them. After that my group and I learned how to make an R.O.V. (Remotely, operated, vehicle). Overall I learned more about crabs and how R.O.V.S work!

My class and I also had the opportunity to go whale watching, which was such an amazing experience that I will never forget. Going to the tide pools to see all of cool sea creatures, and also end up seeing a couple hour old baby seals. Zip lining, going to Fort Stevens beach, Tillamook cheese factory, Wolf Haven, Bullwinkle’s, Colombia River Maritime Museum. We also went to Cannon beach, where they filmed one of my favourite movies, The Goonies.

The first two nights we stayed in these creepy cabins. As we were arriving Mr. Hughes said that this place reminds him from a horror movie, he wasn’t wrong. The next three nights we stayed in Yurts, which was my favourite place we slept. The last night we stayed in a hotel and went swimming! 

Overall when going in the van with Ms. Kadi and playing Taylor Swift, to airdropping many photos instead of taking them our selves, was wonderful. After learning about what a frieze is, crossing the bar, and a jetty, I had a fun time. There is so many more things I want to talk about from the trip, if you want to see pictures and more of the activities we did, look at my book!