DI REGIONALS

Hello, welcome to my blog post about Destination imagination Regional

There are many parts to the scoring of our DI: the story, the puppet, the archaeological investigation, and our team choice elements. So the first thing our group did was familiarize ourselves with DI by reading over the scoring chart, the rules, looking at DI solution examples, and researching different methods of archaeological investigations. This helped us better understand how DI works, so we could brainstorm the different ways we could approach our solution.

Everybody in our group had unique ideas for the story, what the puppet could be, etc. Eventually, our group decided on a story around students discovering a time capsule and uncovering Covid, typological analysis, and a scientist puppet. I wasn’t exactly sure about these ideas because I thought they didn’t really capture the theme of archaeology. Looking back, I should have tried to share more of my own ideas during our initial brainstorming sessions. Nevertheless, the idea about discovery turned out to be quite interesting and gave us a lot of possibilities for the ways we could create this story. We had a tough time deciding the direction of our whole story. We changed the ending and different parts of it multiple times to meet the DI requirements. The script had problems such as being too long, not making sense, etc. This was partly due to our abstract story idea or possibly our lack of communication on the script’s progress. After our dress rehearsal, we received feedback to better pace our story and to change the ending. I took initiative and offered to finalize the script and create the ending. Although my group did not approve of my ending, my other changes helped finalize the script. In the end, our group was able to effectively work together and put our story in place. For me, the whole process of deciding and building our story was long and tedious. This experience, without a doubt, improved my collaborative and communication skills.

Shout out to my group for being amazing. We had a small group which forced each one of us to do a little more work. Everybody in my group was responsible; they responded to messages, tried their best to contribute, attended group meetings/work sessions, and held each other accountable. I became a more responsible group member because everybody in our group was holding each other accountable and working so hard to complete our solution. Our group’s strong sense of responsibility was the reason we were able to have a complete solution by the time of our regionals competition. Cameron was a good group leader; he also wrote most of our script and figured out our story, did the forms. Sydnee was a great team member who contributed a ton; she figured out how to get the puppet to work, wrote a really cool song for our team choice element, created a lot of story ideas, helped build the garden box, etc. Sunny was also an amazing team member; she had lots of great ideas, created props, managed our expenses, and was super helpful all around. As for me, I contributed by working on the script, helping to create some props, giving insightful ideas, and fulfilling most responsibilities as a member of the group.

On the day of DI regionals, everything was real. Our solution that we worked hard on over the past month was finally going to be presented and judged. I was pretty nervous, but I was also excited to present work that I was proud of. Before our performance time, there was still some work we had to finalize.

Before our provincial tournament, I can’t say what our group is going to work on, but we intend to first go over our scores together and then decide on the actions we are going to take before DI.

Overall, my group was great. Even though we struggled slightly with time management and prioritization, we were responsible and we worked well together. This DI regionals experience improved my cooperation and communication skills with others. These valuable skills are essential to team success. This was the first time people in a group held me accountable to make sure I was contributing enough and did the work I needed to do. It helped me develop a better sense of personal and social responsibility.