Hey y’all and welcome back to my post. In school we had an interesting discussion this week. We talked a lot about social programs in Canada after the 50s. And Miss Axel asked us an interesting question which was “ what social program in Canada today makes you the most proud?” I not only like this because we normally don’t get to share general opinions on questions, and I found it quite thought-provoking. So this post today will mostly be about my answer to that question, and why I think that.

The social program that I chose was healthcare in Canada.

To give you an understanding of my explanation, I must first just give you a little bit of history (brief) into healthcare in Canada. Before World War II Healthcare in Canada was almost completely privatized. In 1947 Saskatchewan became the first province to develop a healthcare plan, (Saskatchewan is weirdly progressive, go them) BC and Alberta followed shortly after. Healthcare continued to progress and become more available across Canada. However the healthcare plans were different in every province and the was no unification for Canada. That’s why in 1984 Canada established the Canada health act. Here’s the government description of the CHA.

The primary objective of the Canadian healthcare policy, as set out in the 1984 Canada Health Act (CHA), is to “protect, promote and restore the physical and mental well-being of residents of Canada and to facilitate reasonable access to health services without financial or other barriers.”

The Canadian health act, it’s meant to get free primary healthcare to Canadian citizens with no cost or difficulties in access. The start, and changes of this program were put in place like many other social programs after the second world war and into the 50s. And it’s a system that has had to change many times since the 50s. One thing that the government of Canada states as a huge challenge to Canada‘s health system is our ageing population. With the baby boom of the fifties Canada‘s population is getting older. This puts much more stress on the Canadian healthcare system to support older users. This also includes the development of facilities like hospices or centres to take care of older citizens.

I personally think that healthcare is the most important social program. I want to Live in a society where is saving a life isn’t financially feasible. To me nothing makes me more proud than knowing if myself, my friends, or family get sick there is always somewhere for them to go. It also makes me proud that this healthcare system is for everyone regardless of age, race, or ethnicity. This was not always the case in Canadian history, and it is incredibly important that this system continues to support every it can. Additionally non-Medicare coverage services like dentistry, Physio, or other services (although not free) are often partially paid for (if unable to be afforded) by the government. And although I’m sure there are still gaps and inconsistencies in the Canadian healthcare system. Just having it is a win for Canada and quite a win for those who use it.

I think healthcare plays a big part in painting Canada’s image of being a nice and safe place to live. It personally brings me a lot of pride and well-being, and I’m glad that the movement towards social programs in the 50’s brought us to here.

Thank you,

Holly