Humanities · Maker

DI (the final presentation)

A couple months ago I wrote a post about something called DI (Designation Imagination). We have finally finished this project and presented it at the DI convention last weekend. We were put into groups of 6 or 7 so you can check out one of my teammates blogs here, to see there take on the experience.

Recap 

As written in my other DI blog post our challenge was to overcome 3 different hazards (that we built ourselves) with 2 devices we built. One of the devices could use electric and the other one couldn’t. We also had to create a story to go along with our devices that was creative and worked along our robots completing the hazards.

Main challenge:

Our main challenge definitely did not go as well as I would have wanted but we still worked well as a team. Out of the 3 hazards we only were able to overcome 1 (the tunnel) but we still had a good story plot and we also showed out team choice elements well. You can watch a videos of our performance here.

IMG_1385  IMG_1386 IMG_1385

Team choice elements 

For the team choice elements we choose to do art and the costumes. To show how our everyone on our team enjoys doing art we all drew/painted on the ramp we created to show our artistic abilities. For the costumes (which I made) I bought 4 white shirts and soaked them in tee water to give them a dirty colour then I put rips and blood to make the shirts look more zombie like. 

Hazards

There were 3 different hazards we built a tunnel, a ramp and uneven terrain, I built the tunnel and the ramp. For the tunnel I made a wooden frame, like a table and then I staple a piece of tarp over it. For the ramp I also made a smaller wooden frame the I took 3 pieces of cardboard 1 for the top two for the ramp, then I duct taped the edges so it was foldable. Lastly for the even terrain we hade made a wood frame and put a piece of tarp under it, to make a kind of bag. Then we filled this bag with gravel. 

Story

Our story was basically about a group of kids who our doing an online class on zoom. In this class they were leaning how to make a stuffy into a friend/pet. But the zoom call glitches and the kids accidentally but sea salt instead of regular salt which turns the stuffys into monsters. The kids decided that to lure the monsters away there going to build robots that the monsters will get distracted by. After this doesn’t work Kennan (on of the kids) runs super fast so the monsters chase him and not the others. in the end the kids learn that if they put maple leaves on the stuffys heads they turn back into zombies. The story went fairly well, it was something we did better in the performance. The judges said we had good creativity with our story but we could have made it clearer to understand.

What I learned 

During this huge DI project I learned a lot about how to work as a team and how to communicate better. Im definitely not the best t communication and Ive had trouble with it in the past but during this project I was able to talk and share lots of good ideas to help my team progress. In the end Im very proud of how our team came together and was able to show what we did. Ive also learned that next time we do DI our team should definitely meet up more and start building way earlier.

Thanks for reading about my DI experience, hope you have a great day or evening :D.