Science

Light up my carburetor

Ever wonder how your oven works, or how the lights in your house work. It all works using electricity. In this project we learned how electricity powers our appliances and how circuits work. 

Electricity is usually generated by transforming kinetic energy into electrical energy. This is done using a generator. Generators are made up of a generator, a turbine and a shaft. The turbine when spun spins a shaft that spins within the generator. The magnets in the generator produce electrons used to power electric devices. 

There are many different forms of energy, like nuclear energy and wind power. But in my infographic I focused on Hydro Energy because that’s what we primarily use in British Columbia. I talked about the pros and cons and what I think could be improved. Dams are a good reliable and clean source of energy but they can destroy the river environments around them. But there are ways this can be fixed, we can build fish ladders so the salmon can climb past the dam or we can release certain amounts of water form the dam for the salmon to climb up. 

Batteries are composed of 3 main things. 

The Electrode- A chemical reaction between 2 different metals 

The Electrolyte- A chemical solution that the electrodes exist in. If the battery has a wet cell the Electrolyte is a liquid solution. In a dry cell the electrolyte is a moist paste. 

The terminals- There is a positive and negative terminal within a cell that the electrodes connect to.

To represent what we learned about circuits we made operation games mine was based of off Lightning McQueen. The goal was to take gears and nails out of Lighting McQueen without touching the metal. 

To make our operation game we used tinfoil and copper tape to make a simple circuit connected to a light. It was difficult to get the circuit to work but with lots of fiddling I was able to create this. 

I really enjoyed this project because I got to do a hands assignment were I got to create a game that I am proud of. I hope you enjoyed reading this post and have a great day.