🌲How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?🌲

🌲Hello and welcome back to the forest of learning! Today, I will be officially publishing my poetry book that was the product of the project “Working With Words” as well as reflection of my learning. In this project, we created our very own poetry book filled with poems that are written about our own worldview. To do this, throughout the entire project we completed activities as well as learned about 9 different forms of poetry that would contribute to our final book. To create 9 poems, we also learned 16 vocabulary terms that were included within them. In addition, each poem we created came with a complementary text as well as a meaning statement. I had already had experience writing poetry before, and this project highlighted the love I have for this form of self expression!🌲

You can find my completed book below! ⬇️

As I mentioned, we completed in-class activities that helped build knowledge about poetry. This includes analyzing poetry, creating short poems, presenting poems, and giving feedback. The majority for the time was analyzing and learning about the 9 different forms of poetry:

• Simile poem
  • Extended Metaphor Poem
  • Haiku Poem
  • Imagery Poem
  • Sound Poem
  • Experience Poem
  • Personification Poem
  • Self-Portrait Poem

In addition to learning about the forms of poetry, we also learned about 16 key terms. To learn them, we completed a “Poetry Term Study Guide” with definitions and examples. By the end, we also wrote a poetry test to solidify our knowledge on those terms.

Here is a slideshow with some in-class activities we completed to build our knowledge: 

In addition to our 9 poems, we completed both complementary texts and meaning statements to go along with them. Our complementary text could be an image, video, drawing, or, really anything that helped enhance your poetry. The meaning statement provides your intent for writing this poem as well as any theme (s) you created within your poetry.

I am proud of each of my poems and complementary texts, and I really hope you enjoy learning about me through this book! (Also, Note: I will likely revise this post with a more in-depth reflection later)

Through the creation of this book, I now have an understanding of what poetry is and how it is a wonderful form of creative expression. I have also learned that being a poet can be a career path and is something that many people around the world result to in order to express themselves. I am happy with the knowledge I have gained in this project, and I am so excited to continue writing poetry in the future!

Ending this project was an adventure! On Wednesday, January 27th, we had to fully have our poetry book completed as well as this blog post as the official publishing! That day, we would also be performing our own poems (or so we thought) in a Coffee House Performance! That day, we were split into randomized groups of 3 and were instructed to create a poem in one of the 9 forms we learned about! I was randomized into a group with Sylas and Patrick, and we were also randomly assigned “Sound” to be our poetry form. In 15 minutes, we worked together to create this sound poem that we ended up using in our final performance:

We were then paired with the other sound group, and we would create/decide on the poem to perform, create a backdrop for our performance, create a meaning statement and description of the poem,  and also practice performing. Our full group included myself, Sylas, Patrick, Theryn, Landon, and Xander. We ended up deciding to keep our poem the same and split the lines up like so:

Our backdrop

When we practiced it the first time (in front of the class!) it actually did not go too bad, however every time other than that it did not go very well.. but- we still did it! And the performance did not go as terrible as I expected, especially given the entire hour and a half we were given to put it all together!

I also forgot to mention, but, I also had the job to welcome and introduce the project along with Alicia and Fraser, so, on top of completing everything, I also had to learn a script and perform. Which, I ended up making a few mistakes, but, I am still incredibly proud of my performance regardless!

🌲 Overall, I am very proud of my book! I am extremely happy with how realistic and honest I was with this, and I think that you can really get a sense of who I am as an individual through reading it. Although I may have not done as well as I had hoped in this project as a whole, I was able to improve a lot on the two competencies we focussed on in this project: “Comprehend Constructively: reading, listening, viewing“ as well as “Create Effectively: writing, speaking, representing”. I also improved on goals that I put in place for Humanities in my Learning Plan through this project, which, has helped me become a better learner. So, how might I construct text that shows who I am? Well, you can construct a book through learning about and creating poetry that shows who you are. I found a love for poetry in this project, and I hope you enjoyed my book and learned about who I am and my own worldview through it. 🌲

as always, thank you for watching me grow in the forest of

🌲learning🌲